Riding on the Darkside
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Wobble: new cause found

+6
yank
Larry Simpson
bandito_two
Big Green Valley
Otis56
jedishon
10 posters

Go down

Wobble: new cause found Empty Wobble: new cause found

Post  jedishon Tue Apr 07, 2009 4:49 pm

I have just found another reason for a high speed wobble.

The width and grip of the ct. In the evenings heading back to my room after work, I ride the freeway. At an indicated 80 I'm running 70, so I usually keep it between 85 and 90. Now the afternoons are always windy here and there is a lot of semi traffic. Well while riding behind a semi, in the buffer zone I get knocked around a little, so I get on it a little to get around them. At 95 and above I get a wobble. This morning the freeway was empty and there was no wind. I kicked it to 100 and just cruised for a few miles with no wobble at all. Then I came up on a semi and dropped the speed down to 85, as soon as I got into his wake I got a front end wobble. My best guess is that the back tire sticks so good it makes the front tire feel loose (wobble) in any wind or wake zone. This is of course my experience, yours may differ. But I think my next tire might be a 185 instead of a 205. I would rather have the whole bike shake a little than the front shake a lot.

Jerry
jedishon
jedishon
Super User
Super User

Number of posts : 4436
Registration date : 2007-12-18

Back to top Go down

Wobble: new cause found Empty Re: Wobble: new cause found

Post  Otis56 Tue Apr 07, 2009 7:39 pm

thanks for the report , leaning torwards the 185 myself, if the federal ever wears out.

mark f
Otis56
Otis56

Number of posts : 346
Registration date : 2008-10-17

Back to top Go down

Post  Big Green Valley Tue Apr 07, 2009 7:51 pm

Interesting observation. Do you think installing a wider front tire may help?

I asked this in another thread, but received no response. Would a 120/70 fit on a front C rim? How wide of a tire would fit on that rim in an R fender?
Big Green Valley
Big Green Valley

Number of posts : 122
Registration date : 2008-01-03

https://www.youtube.com/user/biggreenvalley?feature=mhum

Back to top Go down

Wobble: new cause found Empty re: Wobble: new cause found

Post  bandito_two Tue Apr 07, 2009 8:45 pm

I get the same thing in the wake of trucks, busses, and other large boxy vehicles while riding my Honda Reflex scooter. It did that when I was using the standard scooter tire too. I don't think the car tire on back is what is causing the wobble. That buffeting from wake turbulence is causing the front wheel to 'hunt' for stability. At speed this can occur quite rapidly and would feel like a wobble. At least thats what it feels like to me on my scoot.
Mike B.
bandito_two
bandito_two

Number of posts : 45
Registration date : 2008-07-11

Back to top Go down

Wobble: new cause found Empty RE WOBBLE NEW CAUSE FOUND

Post  Larry Simpson Tue Apr 07, 2009 9:16 pm

I don't experience that on my Nomad and it has a larger front tire from the factory (can't remember size at the moment ,will check later) also have noticed it doesn't catch road cracks like my goldwing did. I beleive larger front tire is the key. RIDE SAFE Larry S. Smile Smile
Larry Simpson
Larry Simpson

Number of posts : 1007
Registration date : 2008-08-18

Back to top Go down

Wobble: new cause found Empty wooble

Post  yank Tue Apr 07, 2009 9:24 pm

I got it with either type tire, but found out its because of my windshield, I took it off to repair it, and found out I had almost a rock steady ride behind semis, but I turned into a pussy and put the windshield back on, Too much crap being thrown up into my face with out it( rain hurts like hell at 80 miles an hour also ) even though I have mine modified to get it as low as I can and use it as a deflector instead of a windshield its better than with out.

Doug
yank
yank

Number of posts : 50
Registration date : 2009-02-19

Back to top Go down

Post  jedishon Wed Apr 08, 2009 7:00 am

yank wrote:I got it with either type tire, but found out its because of my windshield, I took it off to repair it, and found out I had almost a rock steady ride behind semis, but I turned into a pussy and put the windshield back on, Too much crap being thrown up into my face with out it( rain hurts like hell at 80 miles an hour also ) even though I have mine modified to get it as low as I can and use it as a deflector instead of a windshield its better than with out.

Doug

I agree. I have gone through all the mods. I replaced the shock bushings. Put in alls balls, changed the height of the forks, adjusted the windshield, lowers and hand shields. I was just offering one more item for people to consider. I do like the way the back tire grabs, even after 18,000 miles.

Jerry
jedishon
jedishon
Super User
Super User

Back to top Go down

Post  gstanfield Wed Apr 08, 2009 5:57 pm

I've had my 1300C up to an indicated 130mph with no wobble at all and it has stock bearings, stock bushings, a windshield and a 205/70R15 grabber on the rear. I personally cannot see why it would matter, but who knows. Unfortunately the only way to effectively test this would be on the same road with the same bike and same conditions and only the rear tire being different.

I'm not trying to discredit your thought here, but I have found that wind buffet from big trucks will effect every bike I've ever had at any speed, any tire. That's why I will not ride behind them. Heck, it even shakes my wife's Honda Element Very Happy

It'll be intersting to see what happens when you drop to a smaller tire.

George
gstanfield
gstanfield
Super User
Super User

Number of posts : 583
Registration date : 2007-12-15

Back to top Go down

Post  marine-mp Fri Apr 10, 2009 3:41 pm

I have to echo what the Darkside Deputy said. I believe any vehicle behind a large truck will find the turbulence uncomfortable an can expect negative vibes from it. Just another note on that, I myself, avoid being behind any large truck as you don't have the time to avoid what-ever their tires throw at you. Very bad for your health!!!! On another note, there are some darksiders on the GL1800 site who believe they've found the "holy grail" of c/t's I cannot speak for myself, as I still am trying to wear out the Conti. They've found the Dunlop Wintersport 3D DSST (run-flat) 175/60-16 is the closest thing to a bike tire they can get. It is supposed to have a more rounded profile than all the other c/t's. Take care to take care. Happy Easter Semper-fi

marine-mp

Number of posts : 119
Registration date : 2009-01-19

Back to top Go down

Post  Badmoon Sat Apr 11, 2009 6:39 am

I had the same thing happen two. I have two answers for you. Get around the trucks or remove your windshield. I took mine for a ride after a good cleanin with out the windshield. The latter really is not an option tho. I like the windshield. The only time that is stay behind a truck is during Love Bug season. During this season I look for a truck to get behind. This is my observation.

Just sayin
Moon
Badmoon
Badmoon

Number of posts : 1699
Location : Swanpland (Gods Country) It is my horns that hold up my halo.
Registration date : 2007-12-20

Back to top Go down

Post  gstanfield Sat Apr 11, 2009 5:13 pm

Oh yeah, I want to calrify something. I'm not saying that the tire is not making the wobble worse, I'm just saying that it is not the cause. The wind shear is the cause, the wobble is the effect, the tire may (or may not) be a contributing factor. It's like all these killings lately. they are not caused by guns, they are caused by stupid people with guns. If you remove the root problem (big trucks in front of you) then you also remove the issue.

Antother way of looking at it is this: You can't cure a brain tumor with an asprin. While a symptom of a brain tumor may be a headache and the aspirin may make it feel better for a while, you are still not solving the issue. Very Happy

George
gstanfield
gstanfield
Super User
Super User

Back to top Go down

Post  marine-mp Sat Apr 11, 2009 8:03 pm

Thats deep, Brother!!!!!!!!! We're gonna hafta start calling you DR. Darkside Deputy!!!!!!! LOL Semper-fi Happy Easter to all. HE is risen.

marine-mp

Number of posts : 119
Registration date : 2009-01-19

Back to top Go down

Post  jedishon Sat Apr 11, 2009 8:08 pm

All this because I said the wind can cause front wheel wobble.......
I should run for office...
jedishon
jedishon
Super User
Super User

Back to top Go down

Post  gstanfield Sat Apr 11, 2009 8:12 pm

hehehe, you know we love ya. Very Happy I was just offering up a different view on the same idea. Rtemember, on the darkside we encourage outside thinking (or so I was told) Wink

George
gstanfield
gstanfield
Super User
Super User

Back to top Go down

Post  Bulldogparts Sat Apr 11, 2009 8:25 pm

Another thing that I noticed today was, that since I increased the air pressure in the CT from 38 to 45, I wasn't wobbling as much in gusty wind. I've only ridden 200 miles on it so far, and I know that doesn't make me an expert, or anywhere near one, but I have been paying attention to the different handling characteristics. I know that the increased psi made a difference in me fighting the handlebars or not. Just an observance of a newbie Darksider..........and no, I wasn't behind any trucks or busses, just gusty winds from all angles. Good luck, and ride safe!!!!
Bulldogparts
Bulldogparts

Number of posts : 41
Registration date : 2009-01-29

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum