Riding on the Darkside
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

DarkSide Wantnabe

5 posters

Go down

DarkSide Wantnabe Empty DarkSide Wantnabe

Post  Saddletramp Sun Apr 05, 2009 6:50 pm

Hi every one I have been reading the forum here for a few weeks now and would like to move over to the darkside. I have a 99 Nomad and a little unsure about what tire I should put on it. I have looked at the tire chart on the cartire site. But if I remember right the only Vulcan was an 06 so I am wondering if the same tire will fit on the 99. I am looking at 5 tires right now the Federal SS-595 - 195/55r16
Bridgestone GO19 same size and the TOYO Proxes Tl-R same size Then the TOYO Proxes Ti-R 185/50R16 and last the Bridgestone
Turanza EL 470 185/55R16. As any one used any of these and which would you recommend. Any and all help or advice will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
Saddletramp

Saddletramp

Number of posts : 2
Registration date : 2009-04-05

Back to top Go down

DarkSide Wantnabe Empty Re: DarkSide Wantnabe

Post  jedishon Sun Apr 05, 2009 7:31 pm

Wish I knew something to tell you. I have heard the TOYO and Federal are good tires but I have no idea about the size you would need. Sorry

Jerry
jedishon
jedishon
Super User
Super User

Number of posts : 4436
Registration date : 2007-12-18

Back to top Go down

Post  rc5658 Fri Apr 10, 2009 9:06 pm

I recently went Darkside on an 08 Nomad. I went with the Dunlop SP5000 195/60R-16

Obviously had no experience with this tire.....I just elected to go with what seemed to be the most popular tire for Nomads. All the reviews were very positive and I can add my name to the positive review list.

I've put about 2,000 miles on it so far....and almost forget I have a car tire back there.

rc5658

Number of posts : 9
Registration date : 2009-02-13

Back to top Go down

DarkSide Wantnabe Empty Darkside wantabe

Post  Saddletramp Sat Apr 11, 2009 7:26 am

Thank you Jerry and rc for taking the time to reply. While performance in important I'm most concerned about fit. I would hate to spend the money on a tire and then have it not fit as I only have enough money for one tire so if the car tire won't work I would rather get a mc tire so I can keep riding. Dose any body out there know how much difference there is between a 99 nomad and 08 as far as tire fit?

Thanks
Saddletramp

Saddletramp

Number of posts : 2
Registration date : 2009-04-05

Back to top Go down

Post  jedishon Sat Apr 11, 2009 8:06 am

Sadletramp the best I can say is measure the clearance you have with your current tire. Specs say you have a 150/80/16. Take multiple measurements on each side. If your narrowest distance is 1/2 inch then double it to 1 inch. 1 inch times 25.4, to convert it to metric, is 25.4 + your 150 tire equals 175. you still want a clearance so 165 would be the biggest, and that would leave you about 1/8" on each side.Depending on what numbers you come up with, you can search for that width tire that would be comparable to the height you have now. This place could help you... https://mcdarksiders.forumotion.com/general-discussion-f6/what-tires-by-size-are-available-t2704.htm
Good luck on your search, wish I could be more help.

Jerry
jedishon
jedishon
Super User
Super User

Number of posts : 4436
Registration date : 2007-12-18

Back to top Go down

DarkSide Wantnabe Empty RE DARKSIDE WANNABE

Post  Larry Simpson Sat Apr 11, 2009 12:13 pm

I have a 05 nomad I am running 205/60/16 GYTT on mine with no problems.I only have credit card clearance on shaft side but it has been on for a year ,never touches.RIDE SAFE Larry S Very Happy Very Happy
Larry Simpson
Larry Simpson

Number of posts : 1007
Registration date : 2008-08-18

Back to top Go down

Post  Badmoon Sat Apr 11, 2009 10:16 pm

Larry Simpson wrote:I have a 05 nomad I am running 205/60/16 GYTT on mine with no problems.I only have credit card clearance on shaft side but it has been on for a year ,never touches.RIDE SAFE Larry S Very Happy Very Happy

Well there ya go. It will fit.
Larry, Did I ever tell ya, you are my hero.
Hope all is well with ya and your are leaving some rubber on the road.

All yall be good.
Moon
Badmoon
Badmoon

Number of posts : 1699
Location : Swanpland (Gods Country) It is my horns that hold up my halo.
Registration date : 2007-12-20

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down