Riding on the Darkside
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

150 miles to reserve 184 to push... I killed a dog ... my ride yesterday

+3
nodakbassmaster
jedishon
smokey2255
7 posters

Go down

150 miles to reserve 184 to push... I killed a dog ... my ride yesterday Empty 150 miles to reserve 184 to push... I killed a dog ... my ride yesterday

Post  smokey2255 Sun Apr 05, 2009 8:31 am

A buddy of mine recently bought an 88 shadow 800. This is his first foray into motorcycling. He has been making short rides on his own and after 3 weeks of short runs he asked if I wanted/would ride with him on a longer ride. He had a destination in mind but wanted to ride with an experienced rider to teach him as we went. Always up for a ride and an adventure I immediately said hell yeah lets go. We started out headed south. Now keep in mind the town I live in is so small that we do not have a gas station. Well I was at 120 something miles on the tank already, knowing I need gas soon we head out. About 20 miles out we roll through another small town that has gas and amenities. He slows back and asks if I need gas? “Gas yes” nodding my head. But then he rolls by the gas stations. So I think okay he knows something I don’t. No biggie …. Still have 30 miles or so til I get in trouble. About 8 miles later I go to reserve and a couple miles later We roll to a stop sign and I tell him I am on reserve. He asks if I can make it another 15 miles to the next little town with services. Yeah 15 I can do that. Well 15 was actually 27 and my steed ran out at 25 miles. I was able to get it another mile and a half by laying the bike way over sloshing what little was left over into the left side of the tank fire it up run for half a mile then repeat the process. Immediately after running out Dewey heads to the gas station to get gas and a can. I had managed to slosh and push the bike to within about 4 blocks of the gas station by the time he had gotten back to me. But was facing pushing it uphill at a daunting incline. Well he is now the owner of a new shiny gallon gas can. Dumped the gallon in it and to the station we went. I got gassed up, took a break and had a bite to eat. Ya got to love homemade pork fritter sandwiches. After a break we geared up and headed out to our destination. On the Indiana side of the Wabash river there is a little known park called Merom Bluff park. This is a sight that was used to fire on the British during the revolutionary war. The bluff sits well above the river on the Indiana side and made a great ambush sight for the river. After taking in the scenes and views we again geared up and headed back taking a meandering route. No hurries no worries. We decide to go by a couple other places that I had heard about but have not been to yet. For those in the area I am talking about Earl’s supper club in West Union. Supposed to be the best catfish in the country. Then we headed to Moonshine to see where you can get those world renowned burgers. World famous is what I hear, but be there by 12:30 or you won’t get any. It is an older couple that owns the place and at 1230 they shut it down. Okay I have seen it and know how to get back so life is good. We gear up and head out for home. About 10 miles later we are putting through the country. We come up on a farmhouse with a bunch of trucks parked at the end of the driveway. We slowed down and took the off side of the road to make sure to steer clear of kids and critters. I watch Dewey roll past them and wave, just as I cleared the trucks I see a guy standing there with all the looks of a man that is calling his dog. Oh shit where is he? I dove to the right side of the road while looking for the oncoming dog … Dammit there it is coming fast. All I had time to do was tweak the throttle to try to power through the impact. The dog (a 50 pound lab mix) hit me at about a 45 degree angle right in the cruise pegs. I managed to power through the impact and watched in my mirror as the dog spun and skid back across the road. I got the bike shut down and turned around in time to watch the pooch take his last breath . Can I tell ya I felt like crap!!! At the same time I was pissed at the guy for calling his dog when we were coming at them. I know good intentions and all that crap but if he had just let the dog be we would of all been ok. He was trying to call the dog to him so that it wouldn’t run out in front of us. So calling the dog to keep it from running out got it killed. After paying my condolences we ride off. Found out later that the guy that owned the dog is a local LEO and all around great guy. Dewey knows him and works with him on occasion. We ride to the nearest facility. I need a bathroom and a cup of coffee. A wee bit shaken and bladder barely under control this is a much needed stop. While we are in there Dewey points to an old newspaper clipping that has been framed on the wall. It is an article where the dog owner was being awarded a heroism award for going into a burning house multiple times and saving several people. Awful hard to be pissed at that kind of man.
In a way I am glad that the dog hit me and not Dewey, his inexperience and lighter bike I am sure he would of went down. We all know that a rider down at 50 mph is never a good scene.
The rest of the ride in was uneventful and peaceful . Yall enjoy your rides and be careful out there.

See you out there
Smokey
smokey2255
smokey2255
Admin
Admin

Number of posts : 2451
Registration date : 2007-12-14

Back to top Go down

150 miles to reserve 184 to push... I killed a dog ... my ride yesterday Empty Re: 150 miles to reserve 184 to push... I killed a dog ... my ride yesterday

Post  jedishon Sun Apr 05, 2009 7:22 pm

I'm glad your ok Nephew Larr. Bummer about the dog.

Jerry
jedishon
jedishon
Super User
Super User

Number of posts : 4436
Registration date : 2007-12-18

Back to top Go down

150 miles to reserve 184 to push... I killed a dog ... my ride yesterday Empty Re: 150 miles to reserve 184 to push... I killed a dog ... my ride yesterday

Post  nodakbassmaster Sun Apr 05, 2009 10:40 pm

heck of a day! Shocked
nodakbassmaster
nodakbassmaster
Admin
Admin

Number of posts : 1604
Registration date : 2007-12-15

Back to top Go down

Post  Muntz Sun Apr 05, 2009 11:15 pm

Sorry to hear about the dog.

Pork Fritter Sammich???? Thats something ya gotta fill me in on. Twisted Evil

Welcome to the Madness,
Muntz King
Muntz
Muntz
Uber User
Uber User

Number of posts : 1907
Registration date : 2007-12-17

Back to top Go down

Post  horseman8m Mon Apr 06, 2009 12:24 am

+1 on the " glad your ok "
horseman8m
horseman8m

Number of posts : 1449
Registration date : 2008-02-09

Back to top Go down

Post  smokey2255 Mon Apr 06, 2009 12:48 am

Muntz wrote:Sorry to hear about the dog.

Pork Fritter Sammich???? Thats something ya gotta fill me in on. Twisted Evil

Welcome to the Madness,
Muntz King

ya take a 1 inch thick slice of of pork tenderloin and using a meat hammer you beat it down to about a quarter inch thick. Then you make a batter using eggs milk and mustard and dip it into the batter then into seasoned flour, back into the batter then into saltine cracker crumbs. Now drop it in a skillet of hot oil and fry til golden brown or desired color and texture. Oil about 375 I cook mine til a darker brown as I like mine crunchy. Top with mustard mayo and pickle. Umm Umm good stuff.

See you out there
Smokey
smokey2255
smokey2255
Admin
Admin

Number of posts : 2451
Registration date : 2007-12-14

Back to top Go down

Post  ttexastim Mon Apr 06, 2009 7:51 am

That sounds like a good sammich!!! You gonna make us some at the next M&G? Wink
ttexastim
ttexastim

Number of posts : 593
Registration date : 2007-12-27

Back to top Go down

Post  Otis56 Mon Apr 06, 2009 11:31 am

horseman8m wrote:+1 on the " glad your ok "

+1 too,to,2 two, also

mark f
Otis56
Otis56

Number of posts : 346
Registration date : 2008-10-17

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum