Riding on the Darkside
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Any body get a wobble

+2
Badmoon
4dtvman
6 posters

Go down

Any body get a wobble Empty Any body get a wobble

Post  4dtvman Tue Mar 31, 2009 2:54 pm

I've had the tire on for about a week now and 200 miles. I notice at 60+ I get a wobble in the rear,if the wind hits or i move in the seat. And it seems that the bike floats at that speed.

I removed the batwing fairing and installed my NC chopped and same thing. And I removed windshield all together and the same happens. I have 42 inch pounds of air in the tire.

The tire is a Michlin Hyro Edge 205/70/15
4dtvman
4dtvman

Number of posts : 11
Registration date : 2008-11-01

Back to top Go down

Any body get a wobble Empty Re: Any body get a wobble

Post  Badmoon Tue Mar 31, 2009 3:00 pm

I had a wobble at about 60 or so. It went away when I popped the weights off the wheel and added the dyna beads. I also lowered my pressure to 38psi. What is your set up?

Last edited by Badmoon on Tue Mar 31, 2009 3:04 pm; edited 1 time in total
Badmoon
Badmoon

Number of posts : 1699
Location : Swanpland (Gods Country) It is my horns that hold up my halo.
Registration date : 2007-12-20

Back to top Go down

Post  twin1300 Tue Mar 31, 2009 3:00 pm

Check your bike for the worn shock bushing and the cheap Honda steering head bearings?? Are you balancing the tires or running dyna beads????

twin1300
twin1300
Admin
Admin

Number of posts : 4689
Registration date : 2007-12-14

Back to top Go down

Post  twin1300 Tue Mar 31, 2009 3:01 pm

Dang Moon,

Quit posting on top of me like that........................... Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Again it held up my post because of you! You are the best!

twin1300
twin1300
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  jedishon Tue Mar 31, 2009 7:39 pm

They are both right check the shock bushings.....

Jerry
jedishon
jedishon
Super User
Super User

Number of posts : 4436
Registration date : 2007-12-18

Back to top Go down

Post  4dtvman Wed Apr 01, 2009 7:01 am

I've tried 35 to 45 and found 42PSI the best. I'm running dyna beeds on both front and rear. Checked shock bushing and they OK. Before I installed a front tire at 35 MPH I had a front wobble. But now with new front tire it's gone.

With the old tires bike run great over 60MPH with out that wobble. I'm going to run it for another 500 miles and see what happens. If it stays the same I'm going back to a M/T.
4dtvman
4dtvman

Back to top Go down

Post  jedishon Wed Apr 01, 2009 7:52 am

With the height change on the rear tire. It has changed the angle that the bike sits at. As a result that changed the angle of your windshield. Try taking your windshield off once and see if that makes it go away. If it does you will have to adjust the angle of your windshield until you find the right spot.....At least I did..Good luck...

Jerry
jedishon
jedishon
Super User
Super User

Back to top Go down

Post  twin1300 Wed Apr 01, 2009 7:55 am

4dtvman wrote:I've tried 35 to 45 and found 42PSI the best. I'm running dyna beeds on both front and rear. Checked shock bushing and they OK. Before I installed a front tire at 35 MPH I had a front wobble. But now with new front tire it's gone.

With the old tires bike run great over 60MPH with out that wobble. I'm going to run it for another 500 miles and see what happens. If it stays the same I'm going back to a M/T.

VTX's with motorcycle tires have the same issue...check the OA! You can find threads all day long! Try to find the problem, it isn't the car tire! I hope you find the problem!

.........................bobby

twin1300
twin1300
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  4dtvman Wed Apr 01, 2009 8:11 am

jedishon wrote:With the height change on the rear tire. It has changed the angle that the bike sits at. As a result that changed the angle of your windshield. Try taking your windshield off once and see if that makes it go away. If it does you will have to adjust the angle of your windshield until you find the right spot.....At least I did..Good luck...

Jerry

I'm going to try that again, Taking the fairing off and go for a 65MPH ride.

Any one got a link to others having this problem.
4dtvman
4dtvman

Back to top Go down

Post  Badmoon Wed Apr 01, 2009 8:14 am

As said above. The set up has changed so you will have to tweek the other areas. I dont belived it is the tire either. Keep messin with it till you find the problem. That is the thing with me. I am always tweeking something. One of these days it will be perfect. Fortunately I will be the only one that will like the set up. Ha ha ha ha.
Badmoon
Badmoon

Number of posts : 1699
Location : Swanpland (Gods Country) It is my horns that hold up my halo.
Registration date : 2007-12-20

Back to top Go down

Post  4dtvman Wed Apr 01, 2009 8:29 am

You know I had a Kawasaki Connie a couple of years ago and had this problem when I had a the bags on. Once i took the bags off the problem went away.

Maybe the combo the C/T and the hard bags are causing this problem. But problem wasn't there before the C/T was installed.
4dtvman
4dtvman

Back to top Go down

Post  jedishon Wed Apr 01, 2009 11:14 am

I have gone thru all of it. I changed shock bushings, went with alls balls, changed to progressive springs played with the air pressure changed the front tire and adjusted the windshield. I have to keep the air pressure up in the back tire or it comes back. I will not go back to a mt... the ct is so far supperior that its worth it. I only get a little wobble at 90 or above and only do that when I'm passing a semi.....

Jerry
jedishon
jedishon
Super User
Super User

Back to top Go down

Post  horseman8m Thu Apr 02, 2009 11:49 am

I never had a wobble even at 90 with my darkside, but i changed my shock bushings after 4000 miles they were shot , installed nylon bushings and slow turning feels a lot better, running 36-40 psi.
head barrings still tight
horseman8m
horseman8m

Number of posts : 1449
Registration date : 2008-02-09

Back to top Go down

Post  4dtvman Thu Apr 02, 2009 3:31 pm

I gave it a try. Tire rides good around town and up to 55 miles per hour after that it wobbles. So I went back to a M/T. I'm not one to talk bad about something until I try it. But I did not feel save at highway speeds.

So I have a Michelin HydroEdge 205/70-15 for sale for $80 shipped.
4dtvman
4dtvman

Back to top Go down

Post  jedishon Thu Apr 02, 2009 4:44 pm

Sorry it didn't work for you. Stick around, your insite could help others.

Jerry
jedishon
jedishon
Super User
Super User

Back to top Go down

Post  horseman8m Thu Apr 02, 2009 5:24 pm

if the wobble comes back check the head barrings , the MT should cover up the wobble for a little wile but it will come back as what ever is wrong gets worse. good luck , and visit us when you can even if you don't have a ct doesn't mean you can't chat on the boards.
horseman8m
horseman8m

Number of posts : 1449
Registration date : 2008-02-09

Back to top Go down

Post  wayne Fri Apr 03, 2009 6:25 pm

4dtvman wrote:I've tried 35 to 45 and found 42PSI the best. I'm running dyna beeds on both front and rear. Checked shock bushing and they OK. Before I installed a front tire at 35 MPH I had a front wobble. But now with new front tire it's gone.

From what im reading here, I would be inclined to say you got problems with the head bearings.
It dont take much.
Have you ever changed the head bearings???
If you havent, you wont regret the differance it makes, and putting Progressive springs in.
I really do beleave this is your problem.
The 1800 have had wobbles, and it was the head bearings not properly ajusted, and thats with mc tires on. Everything has to be just right on these bikes and it dont take much to through things out of wack.

wayne

Number of posts : 623

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum