Riding on the Darkside
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Problem seating bead 15 in Grabber

5 posters

Go down

Problem seating bead 15 in Grabber Empty Problem seating bead 15 in Grabber

Post  rayjohn02 Fri Mar 27, 2009 9:28 am

I am trying to seat the bead on a General Grabber. One side seated with about 80 lbs after sitting for
an hour or so. I got some stuff the tire people use on large construction equipment tires that is slicker than snot and about the same consistancy. I thought by useing it there wouldn't be any problem. I am not ready to install the wheel on the bike so that is not an option. What would be a safe air pressure to try above 80 lbs. Any suggestions. The wheel is a 1800 spoke sealed.
rayjohn02
rayjohn02

Number of posts : 4
Registration date : 2009-03-07

Back to top Go down

Problem seating bead 15 in Grabber Empty Re: Problem seating bead 15 in Grabber

Post  jedishon Fri Mar 27, 2009 9:41 am

Safe is the key word.....I dont know....I do know people have taken it to 100, but is it safe? Thats the question. All I can say is do a search for grabber and read what others have done. Good luck.

Jerry
jedishon
jedishon
Super User
Super User

Number of posts : 4436
Registration date : 2007-12-18

Back to top Go down

Post  twin1300 Fri Mar 27, 2009 9:41 am

rayjohn02 wrote:I am trying to seat the bead on a General Grabber. One side seated with about 80 lbs after sitting for
an hour or so. I got some stuff the tire people use on large construction equipment tires that is slicker than snot and about the same consistancy. I thought by useing it there wouldn't be any problem. I am not ready to install the wheel on the bike so that is not an option. What would be a safe air pressure to try above 80 lbs. Any suggestions. The wheel is a 1800 spoke sealed.

Shouldn't be a problem using it if it is really used to seat tires. Plus don't be stingy with it...lather the rim all the way around and the tire all the way up the side walls to the lettering! Good luck, let us know how it comes out?

****Remember***** safety first! Use a locking air chuck that you don't have to hold the air chuck on and make sure you have a disconnect on the end closest to the compressor so you can safely release the pressure!

twin1300
twin1300
Admin
Admin

Number of posts : 4689
Registration date : 2007-12-14

Back to top Go down

Post  rayjohn02 Fri Mar 27, 2009 11:46 am

Well it finally seated at about 90 psi and setting for 20 minutes.
Now I will see how well my spoke sealing job works. I started by applying four coats of contact cement
on the spoke nuts over a two day period. This was after a thorugh job of cleaning with a wire brush on my grinder and then brake cleaner and then alcohol. The third day after cleaning and cutting the rubber
strip that had covered the spokes, I applied the contact cement to the rubber strip and the wheel where it was originally installed. After air drying about thirty minutes I layed the rubber strip back in its original location. It made a good solid bond, time will tell.
rayjohn02
rayjohn02

Number of posts : 4
Registration date : 2009-03-07

Back to top Go down

Post  jedishon Fri Mar 27, 2009 12:33 pm

Glad you got it to seat.....Welcome to the darkside. Let us know what you think when you put some miles on it.

Jerry
jedishon
jedishon
Super User
Super User

Number of posts : 4436

Back to top Go down

Post  AKACully Sat Mar 28, 2009 8:07 am

Welcome to the darkside. Now get out and put some miles on it.
AKACully
AKACully

Number of posts : 34
Registration date : 2009-03-01

Back to top Go down

Post  wayne Tue Mar 31, 2009 10:46 pm

I hate to say this, but heat will release contact cement.
be carefull, the combl of hot pavement and hot temps, could cause problems.

wayne

Number of posts : 623

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum