Riding on the Darkside
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A tip for semi-stripped threads

2 posters

Go down

A tip for semi-stripped threads Empty A tip for semi-stripped threads

Post  ttexastim Tue Mar 17, 2009 3:05 pm

I found myself in a perdicament. My starter gear cover was leaking. 2 of the screws were not totally stripped, but they could not be properly torqued down either. I bought the helicoil type insert to do the repair, and then I heard of a trick to try. I did it, and so far, I am not leaking anymore.

Here's the trick. Take the bolt out. Get a paper match (the kind that comes in a book from a gas station) and cut the top off of it. Insert that paper match into the hole. (I found it was best to leave a tiny bit exposed so that the bolt just doesn't push the match in front of it as it goes in.

Next, Add a little bit of RTV sealant to the bolt and in the hole.

Start threading the bolt in the hole. Make sure that there is paper match on the thread part of the engine as you put the bolt in. This paper match will make it so you have to screw the bolt in the entire way (instead of pushing it in a ways, and then threading it).

This time, the bolt will torque down quite a bit more! Be sensitive to it though, and don't overdo it. By doing this, I saved myself from having to drill out the holes, tap them, and insert the helicoil type things.

All Hail ... the paper match!!!
ttexastim
ttexastim

Number of posts : 593
Registration date : 2007-12-27

Back to top Go down

A tip for semi-stripped threads Empty Re: A tip for semi-stripped threads

Post  ttexastim Tue Mar 17, 2009 3:08 pm

I should also note ... this stopped my leak because it was not a high pressure place for the oil. I'm not sure this would work if there was lots of pressure in the area.
ttexastim
ttexastim

Back to top Go down

Post  ttexastim Wed Mar 18, 2009 8:48 am

Gotta love a thread where there is only one voice! LOL

Well this morning after I got to work, I noticed OIL. F*&#^&$(*@#&(*&*#&$@*$# That fix didn't work I guess. I guess it's time to pull the side cover off AGAIN and try to put some helicoils in. Don't want people thinking I drive a harley by all the oil I leave behind. Very Happy
ttexastim
ttexastim

Back to top Go down

Post  horseman8m Mon Jun 15, 2009 1:14 am

I couldn't get to a part of a tractor to put in a heliCoil so i cleaned it out with acetone and filled it with JBweld. then coverd the bolt with paste wax and ran it in finger tight . the next day i removed the bolt and cleaned the extra JBweld off and put it back togather and torqued it on. it's been working for over two years now . just a timing cover but no leaks .
If you can't get in there with a tap and die to put in a HeliCoil then try JBweld.
horseman8m
horseman8m

Number of posts : 1449
Registration date : 2008-02-09

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum