Riding on the Darkside
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Trying the Darkside again, after the first tire blew up

+9
twin1300
Toasted_311
gstanfield
AKACully
jedishon
nodakbassmaster
ttexastim
Capt. Rory
c4grunt
13 posters

Go down

Trying the Darkside again, after the first tire blew up Empty Trying the Darkside again, after the first tire blew up

Post  c4grunt Mon Mar 16, 2009 5:27 pm

Well I jumped in again, with a 205x70x15 Douglas Trac II tire from Walmart for $50.00. Found a differant shop to mount it ( the first shop was gun shy too). Took steel wool to clean up the rim and vegitable oil for the tire bead. The beads popped at 60 lbs. It balanced out very easy and we were done. I got it mounted and ready for a ride just as the rain started. I have to wait till tomorrow for a test ride (won't sleep tonight), but the good part is the weather will be sunny and 62 degrees. If I figure how to send a picture I'll be a full Darksider!

c4grunt

Number of posts : 14
Registration date : 2009-02-28

Back to top Go down

Trying the Darkside again, after the first tire blew up Empty Re: Trying the Darkside again, after the first tire blew up

Post  Capt. Rory Mon Mar 16, 2009 6:42 pm

Cool, glad the second time was the charm. Enjoy.
Capt. Rory
Capt. Rory

Number of posts : 8
Registration date : 2009-03-11

http://www.unitedcharters.com

Back to top Go down

Trying the Darkside again, after the first tire blew up Empty Re: Trying the Darkside again, after the first tire blew up

Post  ttexastim Mon Mar 16, 2009 6:44 pm

60 pounds to seat??? That has to be a record! Awesome!!!
ttexastim
ttexastim

Number of posts : 593
Registration date : 2007-12-27

Back to top Go down

Post  nodakbassmaster Tue Mar 17, 2009 12:24 am

cheers

congrats on your persistence! Cool
nodakbassmaster
nodakbassmaster
Admin
Admin

Number of posts : 1604
Registration date : 2007-12-15

Back to top Go down

Post  jedishon Tue Mar 17, 2009 6:57 am

Douglas tire has always mounted easy......Good choice and welcome aboard. Take it easy until you get the mold release wore off........

Jerry
jedishon
jedishon
Super User
Super User

Number of posts : 4436
Registration date : 2007-12-18

Back to top Go down

Post  AKACully Tue Mar 17, 2009 7:05 am

Sixty pounds is pretty good. I needed 100+ and a sound beating with a dead blow hammer to seat my Grabber.

Bill "AKACully"

P.S. Just cracked the 100 mile mark this morning coming home from work. Smile Now to let her rip.
AKACully
AKACully

Number of posts : 34
Registration date : 2009-03-01

Back to top Go down

Post  gstanfield Tue Mar 17, 2009 11:46 pm

Hmmm, my grabber seated at 80lbs, but I polished the rim before to get out the machining marks. I've got about 13,000 on it now and it still has about half tread left.

George
gstanfield
gstanfield
Super User
Super User

Number of posts : 583
Registration date : 2007-12-15

Back to top Go down

Post  Toasted_311 Wed Mar 18, 2009 3:01 am

ttexastim wrote:60 pounds to seat??? That has to be a record! Awesome!!!

My HydraEdge popped at 38 and 45 psi. But it's a 16" wheel too.

Welcome back sir. cheers
Toasted_311
Toasted_311
Admin
Admin

Number of posts : 1132
Registration date : 2007-12-14

https://mcdarksiders.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post  twin1300 Wed Mar 18, 2009 8:02 am

Welcome back C4,

Glad you hung with it! Give it a couple 100 miles and let the mold release get off and you will own it!.... Very Happy Darkside Rulz!

Can't wait to see the pics and get your riding review?

....................................bobby

twin1300
twin1300
Admin
Admin

Number of posts : 4689

Back to top Go down

Post  kermit Wed Mar 18, 2009 9:38 am

It'll be worth the persistance. Just don't judge it for a few hundred miles.
kermit
kermit

Number of posts : 389
Registration date : 2008-01-14

Back to top Go down

Post  c4grunt Wed Mar 18, 2009 3:06 pm

Here we go - I like it! Is that enough?
Took it out for a 200 mile ride yesterday and another 100 miles today. Is there anything that can be found to the negative side with this tire? Everything about it was positive. The ride was better. The bumps were far less spine jarring due to the wider contac patch. The broader surface area eliminated dropping into every nook and cranny in the road.
I've always been hesitant to take sharp curves at a normal speed, for fear of the rear m/c tire would slide out because of the hard rubber and the narrow contact patch. The c/t grabbed the road like a cheetah chasing a gazell. After the first curve I no longer eased into the curves, cause the confidence was finally there. Those people who thing a c/t is flat and are under the impression that you would ride up on a square corner like a cardboard box then drop back down to a flat surface are completly ignorant. The transition from upright to lean then back to upright is like having a tire shaped like a ball, completely smooth!
The Douglas Trac II was very quiet, as far as I could tell due to the wind yesterday and today.
It did get a little squirrely in the wind, but that's the nature of the VTX 1300 with those dish mags. All I can say is don't tell the m/c manufactures about the c/ts, or they'll put them on all their bikes for $50.00 then charge $300.00 for tires that handle better, ride better, and last twice as long.

c4grunt

Number of posts : 14
Registration date : 2009-02-28

Back to top Go down

Post  dirtwarrior Wed Mar 18, 2009 3:10 pm

How did the first one blow up?
dirtwarrior
dirtwarrior

Number of posts : 148
Registration date : 2008-07-09

Back to top Go down

Post  twin1300 Wed Mar 18, 2009 3:52 pm

c4grunt wrote:Here we go - I like it! Is that enough?
Took it out for a 200 mile ride yesterday and another 100 miles today. Is there anything that can be found to the negative side with this tire? Everything about it was positive. The ride was better. The bumps were far less spine jarring due to the wider contac patch. The broader surface area eliminated dropping into every nook and cranny in the road.
I've always been hesitant to take sharp curves at a normal speed, for fear of the rear m/c tire would slide out because of the hard rubber and the narrow contact patch. The c/t grabbed the road like a cheetah chasing a gazell. After the first curve I no longer eased into the curves, cause the confidence was finally there. Those people who thing a c/t is flat and are under the impression that you would ride up on a square corner like a cardboard box then drop back down to a flat surface are completly ignorant. The transition from upright to lean then back to upright is like having a tire shaped like a ball, completely smooth!
The Douglas Trac II was very quiet, as far as I could tell due to the wind yesterday and today.
It did get a little squirrely in the wind, but that's the nature of the VTX 1300 with those dish mags. All I can say is don't tell the m/c manufactures about the c/ts, or they'll put them on all their bikes for $50.00 then charge $300.00 for tires that handle better, ride better, and last twice as long.

Awesome...nice write up!................................ Very Happy

...................................bobby

twin1300
twin1300
Admin
Admin

Number of posts : 4689

Back to top Go down

Post  smokey2255 Wed Mar 18, 2009 8:41 pm

c4grunt wrote:
I like it! Is that enough?

Yes it is !!!! Welcome home

See you out there
Smokey
smokey2255
smokey2255
Admin
Admin

Number of posts : 2451

Back to top Go down

Post  Smokin'joeVRCCDS#0005 Thu Mar 19, 2009 4:11 am

DarkSide Rules
Trying the Darkside again, after the first tire blew up IMG_5174Large2
Smokin'joeVRCCDS#0005
Smokin'joeVRCCDS#0005
Admin
Admin

Number of posts : 1642
Registration date : 2007-12-17

Back to top Go down

Post  jedishon Thu Mar 19, 2009 7:12 am

Welcome to the darkside. You are now free to talk from experience.......

Jerry
jedishon
jedishon
Super User
Super User

Number of posts : 4436
Registration date : 2007-12-18

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum