Riding on the Darkside
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Easing over to the DARKSIDE.. 1300R.. Here's my ongoing story.. pics

+9
wayne
twin1300
Badmoon
ttexastim
stayung
MadtownVTX
Big Green Valley
AKACully
GarMan
13 posters

Go down

Easing over to the DARKSIDE.. 1300R.. Here's my ongoing story.. pics Empty Easing over to the DARKSIDE.. 1300R.. Here's my ongoing story.. pics

Post  GarMan Sat Mar 14, 2009 10:33 am

Ok... so here's my lengthy ongoing story...

I've been reading the forums until I'm sick of scrolling. I decided to pull the trigger and buy the Grabber. While I was at it, I decided to replace my stock front Dunflop as well. The tire has just over 5K on it, but was showing strong signs of left side wear and was 4 years old so I decided it needed to go as well.

I ordered my Grabber 205/70 R15 from the Tire Rack two weeks ago Sunday. $81.93 shipped. Showed up the NEXT day!!! Wow! I also ordered a Metzeler ME880 140/80 front from the Motorcycle Superstore for $132.99 shipped. It showed up on Friday. While I was at it, I also ordered 5oz of Dynabeads from Direct Line parts for $24.50 I think. It took better than a week for those to show up.

In the meantime, I began looking for a way to change my tires. The local tire shop doesn't do motorcycles. What to do?? So I started asking around.. A friend happened to have a motorcycle lift and has changed many 1300 tires before. Bingo!! We have a plan!

I also needed some of the Moly Lube, so we started looking for it locally. No beans there.Ends up, my friend had to special order some of the Loctite 65% moly through a local auto parts store (he wanted some and he figured one tube would be enough for him, me, and anyone else that needed some). It seems to have the same consistency as NeverSieze, and you can paint a house with one can of that!

The moly lube was supposed to show up any day, and we had forecast for rain all week, so we started on changing my tires. I took my bike over to his shop and the process began!! Whooo Hoooo!!

Front tire first... He knew several tricks and tactics that I would have had to learn on my own... the hard way! Front tire off and now we had to break the bead. Several 2x4's, a short strap, some blocks of wood, a rubber mallet, and a lot of sweat and we had one bead broke. Whew. Same process on the second side. We then cleaned the inner area of the rim with some scotchbrite. Now to mount the Metzeler.... Leather pads, soap, several big screwdrivers, elbow grease, and a little concern and we had the new tire on the rim!!! Ok... time to seat the bead... lubed the tire with some soap being careful not to get too much on it.. (didn't want to screw up my beads) and aired that sucker up. One side seated at about 45 lbs and the other wouldn't seat. Whooped on it with a mallet, bounced it all around and ended up leaving it for the night at 75lbs. Next morning.. all is OK!! Tire looks great.

Now for the rear tire. Word of caution.. Taking it off carefully without a lift would seem to be next to impossible. Any how, we got the tire off the bike and using the same process as the front tire.. it came off the rim with greater ease. I'm not saying it was easy, (not by any means.. my knees are still sore from kneeling on the tire and concrete), it was just easier than the front tire. The rubber on the front was not as pliable as the rear.

Here's my before pic of the rear tire on the bike...

Easing over to the DARKSIDE.. 1300R.. Here's my ongoing story.. pics Vtxmar15

Here's a picture of my bike on the lift...

Easing over to the DARKSIDE.. 1300R.. Here's my ongoing story.. pics Vtxmar16

Now on to putting on the grabber. My friend has his doubts... about mounting the ct and about using it. I will be the first in my area on the DARKSIDE Twisted Evil I cleaned and polished the inside of the rim very good, removing any residue. I had decided to use cooking oil as my lube for mounting the tire, so I put a light coating of Canola oil Very Happy (It's all she had) on the rim. I then lightly lubed the tire as well. Now the mounting.... The first side went on fairly easily using our same techniques but the second side was much more difficult. Breaking it over that last little bit seemed impossible. Nevertheless, we got it done!! Only a couple small scratches on the rim from the screwdrivers.. Crying or Very sad
But no harm, I will polish them later.

Here's the comparison between the stock and the grabber..

Easing over to the DARKSIDE.. 1300R.. Here's my ongoing story.. pics Vtxmar17

Ok, now the mounting test!!!! How will it seat????? I made sure I had enough Canola oil on the side walls and we started airing her up. The first side popped on at 50 or so pounds and the second at about 80 lbs!!! Very Happy Woo Hooo!!!!! Sweet looking I say!!!!

Now, since the Moly Paste isn't supposed to come in till Monday.... I can't mount my rear tire, so I decided to mount neither on the bike, and go clean and polish the rims. I haven't put the beads in yet either. Once I polish the front, we will probably go ahead and put it back on, so all we are waiting on is the Moly Paste.... Monday night hopefully!!!

Here's a picture of both the front and rear before I do my cleanup... I'll do that today or Sunday.

Easing over to the DARKSIDE.. 1300R.. Here's my ongoing story.. pics Dsc09310

This is as far as I have gotten, and I've learned a lot. I will keep y'all updated as I continue down my path to the DARKSIDE!!!!

bounce
GarMan
GarMan

Number of posts : 16
Registration date : 2009-02-20

Back to top Go down

Easing over to the DARKSIDE.. 1300R.. Here's my ongoing story.. pics Empty Re: Easing over to the DARKSIDE.. 1300R.. Here's my ongoing story.. pics

Post  AKACully Sat Mar 14, 2009 11:19 am

Good progress photos. You love it when you get done. I just maidened my 1300S on the Darkside today.

Bill "AKACully"
AKACully
AKACully

Number of posts : 34
Registration date : 2009-03-01

Back to top Go down

Easing over to the DARKSIDE.. 1300R.. Here's my ongoing story.. pics Empty Re: Easing over to the DARKSIDE.. 1300R.. Here's my ongoing story.. pics

Post  Big Green Valley Sat Mar 14, 2009 12:39 pm

Nice write up and pics.
Big Green Valley
Big Green Valley

Number of posts : 122
Registration date : 2008-01-03

https://www.youtube.com/user/biggreenvalley?feature=mhum

Back to top Go down

Post  MadtownVTX Sat Mar 14, 2009 5:06 pm

Garman,

I'm about to order up the Grabber. Did you just take off the rotor and mount the tire...or did you also take off the drive hub as well? Did you mount it yourself or do you have a machine that mounts it up?

My plan was to take off the rotor so the shop I take it to doesn't bend it up. If I can possibly avoid taking it to a shop and doing it myself I'd like to. Plan is also to get some Dynabeads. Thanks for the info!

Awesome write up! Keep it coming!

MadtownVTX

Number of posts : 5
Registration date : 2009-02-13

Back to top Go down

Post  GarMan Sat Mar 14, 2009 5:18 pm

I went to Wal-Mart and bought one of those Mother's Mini Balls (I think that is what it was called.. I already threw away the package) that you hook to your drill and use for polishing. I also bought the polish, some Soft Scrub and some Scotch Brite pads. I am not the type of person that will spend 8 hours getting that perfect chrome shine... it just isn't that important to me. But I did want to get rid of the oxidation and clean up the rims while I had them off.

I worked harder than I wanted, took about 2 hours. Sad I probably won't be doing anything to the wheels other than washing them for a long while so it it probably OK. Here is the after picture.... not perfect, but good enough for me.

Easing over to the DARKSIDE.. 1300R.. Here's my ongoing story.. pics Dsc09311

Now I'm going to go put my beads in the front wheel and get it mounted on the bike... either this afternoon or tomorrow. Cool Then I get to work on putting my new rear tire back on the sled!!!
GarMan
GarMan

Back to top Go down

Post  GarMan Sat Mar 14, 2009 5:35 pm

MadTownVTX,

I did not take off the rotor, but I did remove the hub to keep from getting the moly paste all over everything. We mounted the tire ourselves, but it wasn't easy. We used screwdrivers and elbow grease. My buddy had done it several times before so he knew how to do it. But even with that experience, my rim got some small scratches that I had to sand out. I wouldn't recommend it to a first timer... Dang near impossible to do it alone. When I have to do it again, I will probably take the wheels somewhere if I can find a reasonable price.. $20 or $30 each.

If I was taking it somewhere other than a place that does motorcycle tires, I would take the rotor off. A motorcycle shop should be able to handle it with the rotor on.

Getting the rear tire out without using a lift and not damaging the plastic that surrounds the drive train splines would be a feat. We used the jack to lift the bike and let gravity pull the tire out as I maneuvered the wheel to keep it from damaging the plastic lip. I don't know how I could have easily done it otherwise.

Good luck... I'll pass on any info that I learn.
GarMan
GarMan

Back to top Go down

Post  GarMan Tue Mar 17, 2009 12:50 pm

We put the front tire back on the bike Sunday and the rear tire on Monday night. Here's what the hold up had been... finally delivered late Monday evening... Moly Paste!!!

Easing over to the DARKSIDE.. 1300R.. Here's my ongoing story.. pics Dsc09312

Heres a pic of the splines just as we we trying to mount everything back on the bike. Zero room to play with.

Easing over to the DARKSIDE.. 1300R.. Here's my ongoing story.. pics Dsc09313

We ended up having to remove the muffler mounting bracket to get the wheel in. Once we removed the bracket, we had a bout a half inch to play with!! Thank goodness for a hydraulic lift!!!

Here's the before and after pics for reference!!!

Easing over to the DARKSIDE.. 1300R.. Here's my ongoing story.. pics Vtxmar18

Easing over to the DARKSIDE.. 1300R.. Here's my ongoing story.. pics Dsc09314

I have only ridden it about 2 miles (no explosions or anything yet), but I am now officially a MEMBER OF THE DARKSIDE!!!! It rode great! I do notice that I sit just a tad higher, but that's about it. I'm going to take it very easy for about two gas tanks, then I will be a bit more aggressive and see how it does!!!

Oh... let me add this... MANY MANY thanks to my friend 'Phideaux' (over on VTXOA). I couldn't have done this without his knowledge, labor, assistance, lift, and shop. Thanks!!!!! By the way, he's not a member of the Darkside... yet!

What do you think???
GarMan
GarMan

Back to top Go down

Post  stayung Tue Mar 17, 2009 1:24 pm

I'll be crossing over this Friday. Most likely I will use the General Altimax. Have 2 shops that will do it. The 1 that I've dealt with before for other things suggested the other if I had to be riding on Friday. He has 2 motors that he is rebuilding.
stayung
stayung

Number of posts : 14
Registration date : 2009-03-14

Back to top Go down

Post  ttexastim Tue Mar 17, 2009 2:02 pm

I LOVE THAT GRABBER! Nice looking tread pattern!!!

Great work! You're gonna love it! Now it's your job to burn off that mold-release. Very Happy
ttexastim
ttexastim

Number of posts : 593
Registration date : 2007-12-27

Back to top Go down

Post  Badmoon Tue Mar 17, 2009 2:45 pm

Smart thinking about running a couple of tanks of fuel through it before riding it hard. It might not even take that much. You will be able to tell when the mold release is gone. Dont ask me how but you can tell.

Ride it like you stole it.
Moon
Badmoon
Badmoon

Number of posts : 1699
Location : Swanpland (Gods Country) It is my horns that hold up my halo.
Registration date : 2007-12-20

Back to top Go down

Post  twin1300 Tue Mar 17, 2009 3:56 pm

Congrats on your darkside! You are going to love it. Very nice looking bike with the car tire!

...............................twin

twin1300
twin1300
Admin
Admin

Number of posts : 4689
Registration date : 2007-12-14

Back to top Go down

Post  wayne Tue Mar 17, 2009 11:08 pm

After about 300 miles, you will love even more, yes, it does get better. Very Happy

wayne

Number of posts : 623
Registration date : 2007-12-18

Back to top Go down

Post  Badmoon Wed Mar 18, 2009 7:48 am

Go ride. Leaving on mine in about ten minutes. Hope to be gone the whole day.

Moon
Badmoon
Badmoon

Number of posts : 1699
Location : Swanpland (Gods Country) It is my horns that hold up my halo.
Registration date : 2007-12-20

Back to top Go down

Post  AKACully Wed Mar 18, 2009 1:32 pm

Finally, I am happy to welcome to the Darkside. Yours was a long process, but you'll be happy with the results.

Bill "AKACully"
AKACully
AKACully

Number of posts : 34
Registration date : 2009-03-01

Back to top Go down

Post  Toasted_311 Wed Mar 18, 2009 11:17 pm

GarMan, where in Arkansas are you? If you were close I'd have lent a hand.

Looks good though. Welcome sir.
Now to go find that same jar of moly here in my work place...we've got a couple jars here. Twisted Evil
Toasted_311
Toasted_311
Admin
Admin

Number of posts : 1132
Registration date : 2007-12-14

https://mcdarksiders.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post  GarMan Thu Mar 19, 2009 11:01 pm

Thanks to everyone!! I am still excited about my new tire!! I have put just over 50 miles on the tire so far and I really like it. One of my buddies drove it and will be going to a CT when he changes his rear tire.

Toasted_311,
I live in L.A. ... (Lower Arkansas) Very Happy Crossett to be exact...

I also like my new front tire. Before the change, at about 45-50mph, if I let go of the bars I would get the dreaded shimmy. I had plans on installing new steering bearings... but with the new tire... no more shimmy!! I can ride with no hands!! Very Happy
GarMan
GarMan

Back to top Go down

Post  wayne Fri Mar 20, 2009 9:06 am

I really hate to say it, but the wobble will probley come back, alot of guys replace the tires and about 5k later, its back , Sorry.

wayne

Number of posts : 623

Back to top Go down

Post  GarMan Fri Mar 20, 2009 5:42 pm

Yea, I figured so, but I can wait a little while now. I will probably replace the bearings and put progressive springs in at the same time. Still working on getting miles on the tires around town. Hope to put several miles on it this weekend if she is willing to go with me! Very Happy
GarMan
GarMan

Back to top Go down

Post  GarMan Sat Mar 21, 2009 5:33 pm

Took a picture of my tire today... I thought I would share with everyone. You can see the mold release as it it wearing on the edge. I've been swerving to wear it off the sides ... but not dragging the floorboards yet. Very Happy Had to fill up today... one tankful down, two to go!!

Easing over to the DARKSIDE.. 1300R.. Here's my ongoing story.. pics Mold_r10
GarMan
GarMan

Back to top Go down

Post  Sameym Sun Mar 22, 2009 8:43 am

I put the Grabber on the bike, rolled it 5 ft. from the garage door, smooth floor,did 3 burn outs, done. Well I was still careful but felt alot better about it.

Sameym

Number of posts : 26
Registration date : 2008-02-01

Back to top Go down

Post  GarMan Fri Apr 24, 2009 10:39 pm

Well... I finally got over 350 miles on the Grabber. I LOVE it!!! I haven't had any issues and have nothing but good things to say about it. I love the way it handles and the way it looks. I haven't been able to take any rides and it is only 3 miles to work, so getting the mileage on it took a while. cheers
GarMan
GarMan

Back to top Go down

Post  jedishon Sat Apr 25, 2009 7:17 am

Garman, I've been hoping you could take a longer ride and put the tire through its paces. I think you did a great write up, and enjoyed reading your follow ups. Did you get the beads in the rear tire yet? Keep us informed on how is working. Good to have you here.

Jerry
jedishon
jedishon
Super User
Super User

Number of posts : 4436

Back to top Go down

Post  grizak Sat Apr 25, 2009 9:33 am

congrats Very Happy welcome to the darkside. enjoyed the story of your adventure. I am sure you are going to love it. Of course your tire is on now and it should be a long time before you have to change it again. but when you do it would probably be worth a small investment in motorcycle tire spoons. Easing over to the DARKSIDE.. 1300R.. Here's my ongoing story.. pics Tirespoon you can find them on e-bay. They dont look like much but they work extremly well. and they will keep you from hurting your rim or your tire. they make tire changing alot easyer. good luck and keep us posted on your darkside adventures. Very Happy Griz
grizak
grizak

Number of posts : 173
Registration date : 2007-12-16

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum