Riding on the Darkside
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Is AUTOMOTIVE OILS Considered Darkside?

+6
gstanfield
Badmoon
jedishon
Daniel Meyer
Otis56
Goose
10 posters

Go down

Is AUTOMOTIVE OILS Considered Darkside? Empty Is AUTOMOTIVE OILS Considered Darkside?

Post  Goose Mon Mar 09, 2009 10:15 am

Hey All Darksiders, If running a CT is being a Darksider, then is running automotive oils and filters also? Here is the most informative site I've found on this subjects>>>>>>[ http://www.calsci.com/motorcycleinfo/Oils1.html ]<<<<<<< I've seen a few questions on this and thought this would help! [GOOSE]
Goose
Goose

Number of posts : 77
Registration date : 2008-11-17

http://kawanow.proboards77.com/index.cgi

Back to top Go down

Is AUTOMOTIVE OILS Considered Darkside? Empty Re: Is AUTOMOTIVE OILS Considered Darkside?

Post  Otis56 Mon Mar 09, 2009 11:27 am

Certainly I'm am no authority, however many folks over at HS.Net forum, myself included have been doing so for quite a while.

Since the 600mile dealership oil change, I've run Rotella 15w-40 and been using the SuperTec oil filter from walmart. Matter of fact just picked up 1gal rotella, at $11.94 (1gal) and new filter for $2.84. I have 37k miles on my 06 vlx with no problems.

There is a sticky on the hondashadow.net forum on the tech board "oilology"

it works.

mark f
the smaller darksider
Otis56
Otis56

Number of posts : 346
Registration date : 2008-10-17

Back to top Go down

Is AUTOMOTIVE OILS Considered Darkside? Empty Re: Is AUTOMOTIVE OILS Considered Darkside?

Post  Daniel Meyer Mon Mar 09, 2009 11:55 am

Stay away from anything that has friction modifyers etc and you'll be fine. I've been running Castroil diesal engine oils (10-40 or 15/50 depending on the bike and the weather) for decades. Never had an oil related engine failure. Never been less than 100,000 on anything I've owned.
Daniel Meyer
Daniel Meyer

Number of posts : 107
Registration date : 2007-12-25

http://lifeisaroad.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Otis56 Mon Mar 09, 2009 12:20 pm

and now Daniel is an authority,,,so there

mark f
the smaller darksider Cool
Otis56
Otis56

Back to top Go down

Post  jedishon Mon Mar 09, 2009 12:28 pm

Been using that site for a long time now......Good info.

Jerry
jedishon
jedishon
Super User
Super User

Number of posts : 4436
Registration date : 2007-12-18

Back to top Go down

Post  Badmoon Mon Mar 09, 2009 3:39 pm

Daniel Meyer wrote:Stay away from anything that has friction modifyers etc and you'll be fine. I've been running Castroil diesal engine oils (10-40 or 15/50 depending on the bike and the weather) for decades. Never had an oil related engine failure. Never been less than 100,000 on anything I've owned.

I dont have the miles but as Daniel said stay away from the friction modifyers. Your clutches will thank you for it.

Moon
Badmoon
Badmoon

Number of posts : 1699
Location : Swanpland (Gods Country) It is my horns that hold up my halo.
Registration date : 2007-12-20

Back to top Go down

Post  gstanfield Mon Mar 09, 2009 5:24 pm

I buy Rotella T diesel oil 5-6 gallons at a time usually. I run it in my diesel truck as well as three bikes. I'd put it on ym salad if my wife would let me, man I love that stuff Very Happy
gstanfield
gstanfield
Super User
Super User

Number of posts : 583
Registration date : 2007-12-15

Back to top Go down

Post  wayne Mon Mar 09, 2009 5:28 pm

Been running car oil since the bike was new, and that is over 60,000 miles ago.

Did you know, CAR OIL IS FOR CARS Very Happy

wayne

Number of posts : 623

Back to top Go down

Post  marine-mp Mon Mar 09, 2009 9:18 pm

I've been using Rotella Syn 5W-40 for several years,.......love the stuff. Oh yeah, Wally-World Super Oil Tech filter for the Gold Wing. ST7317. Work great. The engine is a internal-cumbustion engine, jus like my car an truck motor. I don't treat the scooter any different than the vehicle engines when it comes to oil and filter. It hasn't left me on side of the road yet. Course, theres always tomorrow!!!!!!!! Semper-fi

marine-mp

Number of posts : 119
Registration date : 2009-01-19

Back to top Go down

Post  wayne Mon Mar 09, 2009 11:07 pm

Yep, car oil is fine, no sence in paying $$$$$$$$ for it, no side affects.

wayne

Number of posts : 623

Back to top Go down

Post  Goose Tue Mar 10, 2009 12:25 am

gstanfield wrote:I buy Rotella T diesel oil 5-6 gallons at a time usually. I run it in my diesel truck as well as three bikes. I'd put it on ym salad if my wife would let me, man I love that stuff Very Happy
Dude you are one sick pup 🤡 ! (MOTOROIL ON YOUR SALAD) WOW! [GOOSE]
Goose
Goose

Back to top Go down

Is AUTOMOTIVE OILS Considered Darkside? Empty RE IS AUTOMOTIVE OILS CONSIDERED DARKSIDE

Post  Larry Simpson Tue Mar 10, 2009 9:49 am

Really didn't know there was any other kind,I just figgured they labeled the containers different and charged more.I started riding and working on bikes when I was 10 ,don't ever recal buying anything marked motorcycle oil.I have to date never lost engine or transmission on a bike.Saved that for the cars. scratch RIDE SAFE Larry S.
Larry Simpson
Larry Simpson

Number of posts : 1007
Registration date : 2008-08-18

Back to top Go down

Post  Goose Tue Mar 10, 2009 10:09 am

Goose wrote:Hey All Darksiders, If running a CT is being a Darksider, then is running automotive oils and filters also? Here is the most informative site I've found on this subjects>>>>>>[ http://www.calsci.com/motorcycleinfo/Oils1.html ]<<<<<<< I've seen a few questions on this and thought this would help! [GOOSE]
:afro: M A N!!!!!! Didn't want to start WWW3 of the OIL wars, just wanted to give anyone who wanted any info about what type of oil T H E Y wanted to run, they can investagate it on their own with this site! Someone said once that when you start talking about OIL (in your motorcycles) its the same as talking about Religion&Politics and now I believe it!!!!!!!!!!!! Not trying to change anyone's mind, just wanted to you guys another resouce for INFO! [GOOSE]
Goose
Goose

Back to top Go down

Post  Goose Tue Mar 10, 2009 10:43 am

jedishon wrote:Been using that site for a long time now......Good info.

Jerry
Embarassed SORRY Jerry just seen where you had posted this a day earlier guess great MIMS think alike drunken ! [GOOSE]
Goose
Goose

Back to top Go down

Post  gstanfield Tue Mar 10, 2009 7:32 pm

Did I miss something? I re-read every post on this thread and not one single person disagreed with you, we all chimed in that we too are using automotive oil in our bikes. How does this constitute WWIII?

Maybe a post was deleted that I missed.

George
gstanfield
gstanfield
Super User
Super User

Number of posts : 583
Registration date : 2007-12-15

Back to top Go down

Post  Otis56 Tue Mar 10, 2009 7:49 pm

me too ,,what did i miss
scratch
mark f
Otis56
Otis56

Back to top Go down

Post  Goose Tue Mar 10, 2009 9:47 pm

gstanfield wrote:Did I miss something? I re-read every post on this thread and not one single person disagreed with you, we all chimed in that we too are using automotive oil in our bikes. How does this constitute WWIII?

Maybe a post was deleted that I missed.

George
just pushing everybody's buttons, can't we all just get along, I'm just kidding in other words [GOOSE]
Goose
Goose

Back to top Go down

Post  twin1300 Wed Mar 11, 2009 7:47 am

You guys slay me..................... Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing

Run what'cha brung! That's my moto!

......................twin

twin1300
twin1300
Admin
Admin

Number of posts : 4689
Registration date : 2007-12-14

Back to top Go down

Post  Goose Thu Mar 12, 2009 1:05 am

twin1300 wrote:You guys slay me..................... Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing

Run what'cha brung! That's my moto!

......................twin

W H A T We are SWORD fighting now???????????????? Laughing lol! Laughing lol! [GOOSE]
Goose
Goose

Back to top Go down

Post  Badmoon Thu Mar 12, 2009 6:30 pm

More like a pillow fight.
Badmoon
Badmoon

Number of posts : 1699
Location : Swanpland (Gods Country) It is my horns that hold up my halo.
Registration date : 2007-12-20

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down