Riding on the Darkside
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A different front tire ...

Go down

A different front tire ... Empty A different front tire ...

Post  Guest Sun Feb 22, 2009 2:25 pm

I've grown used to the idea that there are not many front tire choices for my VTX 1800 Retro (150/80/R17). Pretty much all we hear about is the Dunlop D-251 or Elite 3, the Metzler Marathon ME 880, or the Avon Cobra. However, I just came across the Shinko 747 on the Honda Direct Line web site. At $150 it's a little more than the Dunlop and Metzler, but less than the Avon.

Has anyone tried it, or heard about it? Shenko makes some really good sticky racing tires, but I have never heard of this Touring Radial before. Opinions?

Big Charlie

Cool

Back to top Go down

A different front tire ... Empty Re: A different front tire ...

Post  marine-mp Sun Apr 26, 2009 1:53 pm

Big Charlie,
Just scanning the band here and noticed your tire question. Here is a little "out-of-the-box" thinking for you affraid . You can get some "rear" application tires in the size you need for the front of the VTX-R. Some are "bias" ply tires. Can you mix tires??? Mother Honda must have thot it O.K. as the Valkyaries first came out with a radial back and bias front tire. If you check my sigiture, you'll see that I run a bias-ply on the front of my Wing. I DID NOT tell my radial car tire on back, that my tire on point was a bias-ply tire!!!! To this day (6,000 Miles) I 've kept the secret an haven't told the radial that the front was non-conforming!!! It has twice the amount of rubber and handles so well, that I'll order another in about 15,000 miles to replace this one. The Dragon's Tail is in my back yard, so you can know that it's been pushed a time or two Very Happy . Hope this may shed a little lite ont he subject, although I may take some heat for the forward thinking, it works for me and several hundred others. JMHO Semper-fi

marine-mp

Number of posts : 119
Registration date : 2009-01-19

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Sun Apr 26, 2009 6:18 pm

Marine MP,

I don't know why I didn't consider that sooner! I have friends with trikes, and they all use a rear M/C tire on the front. I'll definitely check it out next time I'm due for front rubber.

As an aside -- The Shinko tire is really nice. Handles very well and a smooth ride. We'll see how well it lasts.

Big Charlie
Cool

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum