Riding on the Darkside
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Looking for a new helmet??????

+2
smokey2255
twin1300
6 posters

Go down

What helmet do you ride in summer?

Looking for a new helmet?????? Vote_lcap27%Looking for a new helmet?????? Vote_rcap 27% 
[ 3 ]
Looking for a new helmet?????? Vote_lcap36%Looking for a new helmet?????? Vote_rcap 36% 
[ 4 ]
Looking for a new helmet?????? Vote_lcap36%Looking for a new helmet?????? Vote_rcap 36% 
[ 4 ]

Total Votes : 11

Looking for a new helmet?????? Empty Looking for a new helmet??????

Post  twin1300 Wed Jan 02, 2008 9:43 pm

I have a full face Slmpson RXN (looks like a storm trooper helmet) for winter riding, and I ride 1/2 Bieffe helmet for summer, and looking for a 3/4 helmet. I am looking for another helmet with a little more protection. So, here where I need the advice. I tried the HJC AC-3 medium and really like the feel and look.
Does anyone has advice on this helmet or any other you guys like for summer riding?

Thanks......................bobby

twin1300
twin1300
Admin
Admin

Number of posts : 4689
Registration date : 2007-12-14

Back to top Go down

Looking for a new helmet?????? Empty Re: Looking for a new helmet??????

Post  smokey2255 Thu Jan 03, 2008 4:26 am

Highly recommend going with a modular. All I have been wearing for about 6-8 months now and I love the versatility of the helmet. I can have the protection of the full face or flip it up and get a drink eat a snack or just feel the breeze. I have the Z1R eclipse and love it.

Smokey
smokey2255
smokey2255
Admin
Admin

Number of posts : 2451

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Thu Jan 03, 2008 3:36 pm

I am one of those who lives in a choice state. I have both a 1/2 and a 3/4 helmet, but I can't remember the last time I used the 3/4. During the winter, I wear the 1/2 helmet. During the warmer months, I am about 50/50 on wearing a helmet. No lectures please. I've been in two crashes, one with a helmet on and one without. I had more back and neck injuries in the accident while wearing my helmet. My 1/2 is DOT approved and it is what I wear when I cross the state line. Full face, modular helmets give me a huge case of claustrophobia.

Back to top Go down

Post  PopsVTX Thu Jan 03, 2008 8:12 pm

I'm afraid I don't wear one near often enough. When I do it is a Scorpion EXO-200; 3/4 helmet with interchangeable shield and visor. Really comfortable and not bad on day rides. Gotta go see my grand-daughter play off season volleyball in Dallas this weekend and think I will try to track down the Bell Mag 8 to see how it compares; pretty similar helmet.
PopsVTX
PopsVTX

Number of posts : 46
Registration date : 2007-12-20

Back to top Go down

Post  Muntz Fri Jan 04, 2008 1:15 am

I have the 3/4 HJC and a Modular AGV Miglia. I want to get a modular with a retractable sun shield since I wear glasses and dont intend to put a windshield on the bike I perfer a full face style.
Muntz
Muntz
Uber User
Uber User

Number of posts : 1907
Registration date : 2007-12-17

Back to top Go down

Post  Toasted_311 Fri Jan 04, 2008 6:03 am

I live in a "it's your choice" state. Although I work in a helmet required state.

IF staying near home or Arkansas back roads...no helmet...no lecture folks.

If i'm going to work or anywhere it's required it's a half shell. I'd have to look to see the brand...it's DOT.

Also have a ZR1 full face for cold weather...it's too close to my chin though so I'm looking for another...and one that I can make a heated helmet. Cool
Toasted_311
Toasted_311
Admin
Admin

Number of posts : 1132

https://mcdarksiders.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post  gstanfield Fri Jan 04, 2008 8:28 pm

I wear a HJC modular about 98% of the time with the occasional trip without one. I also teach the MSF and am required to wear a 3/4 or better anytime going to or from a class, but that's OK cause I am a ton more comfortable with my modular as I don't have to deal with sunburn, windnoise or dry eyes nearly as bad. In fact my eyes appreciate it as well cause I use a tinted lense during the day and don't have sore eyes like I used to when I didn't wear one at all.

Just my twio cents,
George

P.S. A 1/2 helmet is virtually worthless unless you just want to stay legal where required.
gstanfield
gstanfield
Super User
Super User

Number of posts : 583
Registration date : 2007-12-15

Back to top Go down

Post  gstanfield Fri Jan 04, 2008 8:43 pm

Looking for a new helmet?????? Helmet10

OK, first let me say that I am NOT the helmet Nazi or anything like that. I am perfectly OK with people choosing not to wear one and I do in fact ride without one myself from time to time. I did want to post this to help those who choose to wear one in their decision making process. The [icture shows left and right imp[act studies showing the % of where the impacts occured. If you look at the chin area and add both sides together you'll see that you give up around 35% of your protection just going from full down to 3/4. Then if you drop to 1/2 you've dropped your protection over 90% in some cases depending on how small the half helmet is (some are smaller than others)

So, wear'em if you want ditch them if you please. Either way here's some info so you can make an educated decision.

Blessings,
George
gstanfield
gstanfield
Super User
Super User

Number of posts : 583
Registration date : 2007-12-15

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum