Riding on the Darkside
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

vlx on the darkside

4 posters

Go down

vlx on the darkside Empty vlx on the darkside

Post  Otis56 Fri Oct 24, 2008 6:33 pm

Well guys/ & ladies too, I really only have just under 200 miles on the darkside so far. I ride 22 miles each way to and from work, these miles are city/hwy/ semi rural. I really can't say that there has been any negatives about coming over to the darkside on a light cruiser. I have not had to change my riding style to accomadate this transformation. The bike's flick ability is outstanding, cornering in city turns, especially left turns seems a lot easier to me. I still feel a little new taking off from a standstill into a right turn. I know the adjustment will be nothing to overcome. The highway ride is great, no road snakes or uneven pavement issues at all. Sweeping curves like a clover leaf are a dream, there has really been nothing about it to disappoint me.
I might be able to answer better to direct questions if anyone has any for this light cruiser rider that has come over to the darkside.
Thanks all for the answers.

mark f / old dad
Otis56
Otis56

Number of posts : 346
Registration date : 2008-10-17

Back to top Go down

vlx on the darkside Empty Re: vlx on the darkside

Post  jedishon Fri Oct 24, 2008 7:13 pm

Way to go Mark....

Jerry
jedishon
jedishon
Super User
Super User

Number of posts : 4436
Registration date : 2007-12-18

Back to top Go down

vlx on the darkside Empty RE VLX ON THE DARKSIDE

Post  Larry Simpson Fri Oct 24, 2008 7:54 pm

Mark sounds good so far. you might want to find a rough surface and try at stopping speed.my nomad and lhams vtx will throw you side to side fairly hard so be ready.yours being lighter might not do it but if it does you need to know what to expect.(not much of a problem if you expect it) RIDE SAFE Larry S.
Larry Simpson
Larry Simpson

Number of posts : 1007
Registration date : 2008-08-18

Back to top Go down

Post  Otis56 Sat Oct 25, 2008 8:22 am

thanks for the heads up larry, I've already experienced a 35mph hard stop, & locked up the rear tire, I came off of the brake pretty fast, but the rear end wants to come around to the right, It was a managable situation, and wasn't done on purpose.

I'm still enjoying this,, I 've now ridden in the rain twice, which always makes me way more cautious, so I found no negatives with the car tire.

old dad / mark f
Otis56
Otis56

Back to top Go down

Post  dirtwarrior Wed Feb 18, 2009 12:47 pm

To bump an old thread, Just curious what tire you used and was it easy to mount.
dirtwarrior
dirtwarrior

Number of posts : 148
Registration date : 2008-07-09

Back to top Go down

Post  Otis56 Wed Feb 18, 2009 2:01 pm

the tire used is a Federal ss657, it is 165/80/r15, ,my shop said it took them 6 tries to seat to tire. Thankfully they were persistant, I don't know what presure they ran it up to to seat. So far I have a litte over 2k miles, I have experienced the darkside now, and will stay with it.
I called the shop and was told it was pumped up to 70-80lbs 5-6times before it seated on the 6th attempt.

mark f

btw= my rims are NOT sealed, I am using a tube. So far there has been no air losses.

vlx on the darkside Cartire

Last edited by Otis56 on Wed Feb 18, 2009 3:42 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : for infor frm the independent shop that mounted my tire)
Otis56
Otis56

Back to top Go down

Post  dirtwarrior Fri Feb 20, 2009 2:25 pm

I tried a kumho at over 100 lbs and it didn't seat. When this tire wears out I will try again.
dirtwarrior
dirtwarrior

Number of posts : 148
Registration date : 2008-07-09

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down