Riding on the Darkside
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

survived encounter with a jeep on lookout mountain sunday

+5
twin1300
Daniel Meyer
jedishon
Badmoon
DEFREEZER
9 posters

Go down

survived encounter with a jeep on lookout mountain sunday Empty survived encounter with a jeep on lookout mountain sunday

Post  DEFREEZER Wed Oct 01, 2008 1:31 pm

after planing a wonderful trip to east tenn from hernando mississippi, my girlfriend and i left for asheville nc thursday morning. fantastic ride going through chattanooga, cherokee forest and the secenery all the way to asheville. the next day we rode part of the blue ridge parkway, in the clouds and rain, still awsome, to hwy 129. rode the dragon and settled in for the night in alcola tn. Grabber 205 handled the roads wet and dry better than i could have ever expected. saturday rode through cades cove, not a good idea on a bike. (to much stop and go for 3 hours) then back to cherokee NC and around to the chelooa sky way(sorry about the spelling) be careful on 143 leading to the skyway, new pavement and very slick very crooked. ended up in chattanooga for the night. (very tired) we wanted to see lookout mountain before heading home and on the way down i met a line of traffic comming up. well all of the sudden the second car in line vered into my lane. my worst nightmare was starting to happen. i had two cars side by side on a narrow 2 lane road with a guard rail on my side and a rock wall on the other side. i just come out of a sharp curve at about 25 mph or so and had to lock up the brakes. i did not want to hit head on so i headed for the white line, less than a foot from the rail. the jeep acclereted to get around the other car and we collided. my left side impacted the left back door and rear quarter panel. the impact through us to the ground on the right side where we slide about 6 feet to a stop. the grabber left a 8 to 10 foot black mark about 8 inches wide before ending in a point (from being thrown on our side). my girl friend is brused and sore but will be fine. i have a crushed left foot and sore right knee. the little girl driving said she had to vere into my lane to keep from rear ending the car in front of her. she did not say she was sorry, just that her insurance would fix everything. the trooper had to put the girl in her car before my girlfriend hobbled over to her and strangled the little twit. my bike is banged up on both sides but very fixable i think. i had to arrange for my parents to drive 6 hours with a trailer to pick us up at the hospital and haul us home. i know it could have been a lot worse and am thankful we survived the wreck. i am waiting to see if i need surgery to repair my foot. i can't wait to ride the blue ridge parkway again, but it may be next year for me.

sorry about the long post, but the drugs for my foot tend to make me say more than neccessary.

being a safe and skilled rider is required but being lucky also is priceless.

yall ride safe!
DEFREEZER
DEFREEZER

Number of posts : 60
Registration date : 2008-04-14

Back to top Go down

survived encounter with a jeep on lookout mountain sunday Empty Re: survived encounter with a jeep on lookout mountain sunday

Post  Badmoon Wed Oct 01, 2008 1:52 pm

Brother.
Damn disappointed to hear about your misshapenness. Glad to know that you and your girl are OK. The bike can be replaced. You cannot. As far as driver of the Jeep. All too often you hear this kind of crap and people should know better. You would think that they would at least teach this in Drivers Ed. My son just took DE and I asked the instructor if they teach anything about scooter awareness and his answer was NO. As that is a different course all together. So we have to take it upon ourselves to teach others the lessons of awareness.. All too often though it is incidents like yours that teaches then to be aware. That is if they learn anything at all.

Prayers sent for a fast and complete recovery for you, yours and the bike.

Peace
Moon
Badmoon
Badmoon

Number of posts : 1699
Location : Swanpland (Gods Country) It is my horns that hold up my halo.
Registration date : 2007-12-20

Back to top Go down

survived encounter with a jeep on lookout mountain sunday Empty Re: survived encounter with a jeep on lookout mountain sunday

Post  jedishon Wed Oct 01, 2008 1:55 pm

I'm glad she didn't hit you harder and send you over the guard rail.....
That could have been so much worse. I hope she has insurance. One question I do have is did she at least get a ticket.

I dont know how bad crushed is, but I wish you a speedy recovery.....

Jerry
jedishon
jedishon
Super User
Super User

Number of posts : 4436
Registration date : 2007-12-18

Back to top Go down

Post  Daniel Meyer Wed Oct 01, 2008 1:59 pm

Wow! Glad you're (mostly) okay and your girlfriend is not seriously hurt.

Take care!
Daniel Meyer
Daniel Meyer

Number of posts : 107
Registration date : 2007-12-25

http://lifeisaroad.com

Back to top Go down

Post  twin1300 Wed Oct 01, 2008 2:21 pm

WOW!.....Glad you are here to write about it! Sorry about you and your girlfriends misfortune! Let us know if we can help out in any way! Maybe we got some parts around that you could use!

....................bobby

twin1300
twin1300
Admin
Admin

Number of posts : 4689
Registration date : 2007-12-14

Back to top Go down

Post  DEFREEZER Wed Oct 01, 2008 3:29 pm

thanks for the well wishes, and yes the girl recieved 3 tickets. the trooper thought of another while visiting us at the trauma center. not sure if he could add that to the collection. my foot has 3 spiral fractures and i had a CT scan yesterday to check the damage to ligiments. my foot was on the peg when the cars bumper grabbed the side of it and tried to pull it under the peg.

All the people that helped us in chattnooga were great!

the bike fared fairly well, bent pegs, busted windshield and busted lights all around. the tank has just one quarter sized rash one it besides the emblem.

the girl said she has insurance but i am waiting on the police report to verify.

thanks again.
DEFREEZER
DEFREEZER

Back to top Go down

Post  Badmoon Wed Oct 01, 2008 4:03 pm

Ill go first.
I got pegs. Factory and in real good shape. If you want them send me a pm with your info. Free and I will even pay shipping.
Hope you heal properly. Do as the Doc says when he says. Dont want them healing wrong. Ask Muntz.

Peace
Moon
Badmoon
Badmoon

Number of posts : 1699
Location : Swanpland (Gods Country) It is my horns that hold up my halo.
Registration date : 2007-12-20

Back to top Go down

Post  twin1300 Wed Oct 01, 2008 4:48 pm

I have a headlight bucket of a 1300 that has one minor scratch in the chrome if you want it??????

Good way to start Moon! Same here....I will pay to ship it to you!

...................bobby

twin1300
twin1300
Admin
Admin

Number of posts : 4689

Back to top Go down

Post  DEFREEZER Wed Oct 01, 2008 5:12 pm

thanks for the generious offers, i am hoping to get the bike fixed by the girls insurance company. it is really awsome to witness such open generousity in todays world.
DEFREEZER
DEFREEZER

Back to top Go down

survived encounter with a jeep on lookout mountain sunday Empty RE SURVIVING CRASH

Post  Larry Simpson Wed Oct 01, 2008 5:39 pm

IF INSURANCE DOESN'T PAN OUT WE HAVE ANOTHER DARKSIDER LHAMMON THAT HAS MODIFIED ALOT ON HIS 1300 WILL SEE WHAT PARTS WE CAN COME UP WITH ,WE RIDE TOGETHER ABOUT ONCE A WEEK .KEEP US INFORMED AND GET WELL SOON. LARRY S.
Larry Simpson
Larry Simpson

Number of posts : 1007
Registration date : 2008-08-18

Back to top Go down

Post  DEFREEZER Wed Oct 01, 2008 5:42 pm

survived encounter with a jeep on lookout mountain sunday Dragon

nothing but a good time!

can't wait to ride east Tenn and the blue ridge parkway again!

thanks again all!
DEFREEZER
DEFREEZER

Back to top Go down

Post  b88miller Fri Oct 10, 2008 7:06 am

Glad you're doing okay..........there are some IDIOTS out there!

I rode the Dragon and the Cherohala last week also...........love the roads around here.

Have a good weekend,

Cool

b88miller

Number of posts : 10
Registration date : 2008-09-10

Back to top Go down

Post  DEFREEZER Fri Oct 10, 2008 2:39 pm

thanks, i was asked to go back to Chattanooga in the middle of November for her (twit) court date. i plan on being being there.
DEFREEZER
DEFREEZER

Back to top Go down

Post  smokey2255 Fri Oct 10, 2008 3:12 pm

Hell yeah be there , and play up the gimp thing Laughing Laughing Glad you are here to bitch about the Twit Freeze. As others have said ... If theres anything we can do just shout out.

See you out there
Smokey
smokey2255
smokey2255
Admin
Admin

Number of posts : 2451

Back to top Go down

Post  DEFREEZER Fri Oct 10, 2008 5:54 pm

Thanks Smokey, I did get the "crash estimate" from the stealer today, just a hair shy of 4k. i cannot believe that honda gets $1k just for a gas tank.

I sure wish i was ridin'
DEFREEZER
DEFREEZER

Back to top Go down

Post  nodakbassmaster Fri Oct 10, 2008 9:26 pm

even through HDL a tank is around 1300, depending on paint...

Glad you're OK, and IMO even better the G/F fared better than you did... she'll be more likely to ride again that way. Mine was hesitant after I wrecked by my self and didn't have any injuries... just my experience.

Heal fast, do as the docs tell you. Spiral fractures are a PITA! Been there, done that....

Someday I will get to that area to.

Make the court date, could be a good excuse for a ride back up there, if you're able.

take her insurance check and get as many of the parts as you can from members, adds and ebay and see if you can at least get a few bucks out of the little twits' insurance company for the trip cut short and pain and suffering.... again, IMO....

all the best....
nodakbassmaster
nodakbassmaster
Admin
Admin

Number of posts : 1604
Registration date : 2007-12-15

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum