Riding on the Darkside
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Newbie- Tell me more than smooth ride and extended wear

5 posters

Go down

Newbie- Tell me more than smooth ride and extended wear Empty Newbie- Tell me more than smooth ride and extended wear

Post  providencemg Fri Sep 05, 2008 9:52 am

I have been reading the posts and I am about to make the move to the darkside.
I have read about the tires that will work and the mods necessary for some and also how smooooth the ride is. Which I am looking forward to.
I have an 03 1800C
I think I have a tire selected, Goodyear F1AS 205-55-16 but my concerns are without changing the final drive to a 1300:
Speedometer accuracy
Decrease in Milage
Higher RPMs cruising between 70 and 80

I also wonder, if I am going with a 55, will the back of the bike be that much lower to the ground and make a difference in confort riding solo and 2 up.

Any Thoughts?

Last edited by providencemg on Fri Sep 05, 2008 11:00 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : different title)
providencemg
providencemg

Number of posts : 4
Registration date : 2008-09-02

Back to top Go down

Newbie- Tell me more than smooth ride and extended wear Empty Re: Newbie- Tell me more than smooth ride and extended wear

Post  Morgan Buchanan Fri Sep 05, 2008 12:27 pm

I have a 205/55 and I don't think that it's that much lower. No issues 2 up, but I'm 200 and my wife is about 120, YMMV. But if low is a problem, certainly go to the 60 or 65, and then you don't worry about speedo accuracy. I don't think any of them will change your mileage enough to even really notice (Unless you calculate based on the odo number, and don't take the error into consideration) LOL.
Morgan Buchanan
Morgan Buchanan

Number of posts : 267
Registration date : 2007-12-20

Back to top Go down

Newbie- Tell me more than smooth ride and extended wear Empty Re: Newbie- Tell me more than smooth ride and extended wear

Post  Steve-O Fri Sep 05, 2008 12:44 pm

I have to change my tire half as often
Tires are much cheaper and better selection.
Grip: Tire traction is 10x better, especially in inclement weather.
Speedo is innaccurate all the time. Get a speedo healer if you want it to be accurate. Then tire size won't matter.
MPG is the same or better.
RPM depends on tire size. But at cruising speed it makes no difference.

My 2 centavo's.
Steve-O
Steve-O
Moderate user
Moderate user

Number of posts : 1153
Registration date : 2008-02-05

Back to top Go down

Post  Dan Fri Sep 05, 2008 9:39 pm

That tire has an O.D. of 24.9" and stock is 26.02" so there's your height difference. Good Luck!
Dan
Dan

Number of posts : 211
Registration date : 2008-05-15

Back to top Go down

Post  nodakbassmaster Tue Sep 09, 2008 2:55 am

the 205/65/16 is the closest to stock height, if you are going with the 1300 final (I have one, but it's only a few hundred RPM difference from what I have been able to gather) you ought to think about the 65 profile tire.... you are going to gear yourself down with the 55 profile and only slightly correct for it with the 1300 final... if you want to try and get any gains out of the 1300 final, get a 65 series. If you want a drag bike, your doing better with the 55 and no 1300 final.

Depends on what kind of riding you do. Trips or light to light....
nodakbassmaster
nodakbassmaster
Admin
Admin

Number of posts : 1604
Registration date : 2007-12-15

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down