Riding on the Darkside
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Dark side tire

+6
gstanfield
papa
dino
Steve-O
jedishon
tigrejr
10 posters

Go down

Dark side tire Empty Dark side tire

Post  tigrejr Sat Aug 30, 2008 5:24 pm

I am wanting to go to car tire on my bike. I have a 2004 VTX 1300C. What size should I put on the stock rim.

tigrejr

Number of posts : 8
Registration date : 2008-08-30

Back to top Go down

Dark side tire Empty Re: Dark side tire

Post  jedishon Sat Aug 30, 2008 6:43 pm

A 165R15 or 205/65/15 or 205/70/15
Read Twins wideside thread for a good idea

Jerry
jedishon
jedishon
Super User
Super User

Number of posts : 4436
Registration date : 2007-12-18

Back to top Go down

Post  tigrejr Sat Aug 30, 2008 7:48 pm

Thanks for the information, I just have to decide which brand and type I want. A friend is put a Falken 512 on his valk. I guess I'll look at that Falken 512 1st.

tigrejr

Back to top Go down

Post  Steve-O Sat Aug 30, 2008 9:17 pm

Falken will go on, but might be difficult to seat the bead. I had mine up to 140 psi, one side popped, the other never did. Gave up and got a douglass which popped right on. You can try another tire, but be prepared to take it back or lose some $$ trying. Some folks have been having luck taking there wheels into bike/tire shops and having them install them. have not heard of one of these shops being unsuccessful.

Good luck! Falken is a good looking tire.
Steve-O
Steve-O
Moderate user
Moderate user

Number of posts : 1153
Registration date : 2008-02-05

Back to top Go down

Post  tigrejr Sun Aug 31, 2008 2:06 pm

After doing a lot of reading on this site, I have decided to go with the douglas 195/65/15. From what I have read it is not a bad tire to start with. It looks like it has a good tread pattern and is a all season tire. If anyone else has any info for me that would help it would be appriciated

tigrejr

Back to top Go down

Post  tigrejr Sun Aug 31, 2008 2:08 pm

After doing a lot of reading on this site, I have decided to go with the douglas 195/65/15. From what I have read it is not a bad tire to start with. It looks like it has a good tread pattern and is a all season tire. If anyone else has any info for me that would help it would be appriciated

tigrejr

Back to top Go down

Post  jedishon Sun Aug 31, 2008 3:49 pm

go with the 205, dont think the 195 will work right

Jerry
jedishon
jedishon
Super User
Super User

Back to top Go down

Post  tigrejr Mon Sep 01, 2008 4:58 am

Ok a 205/65/15h. Do you know how much it will throw off the speedo or will it correct it. Right now I would say its regs about 6 mph fast then what I am doing.
Thanks
Jerry

tigrejr

Back to top Go down

Post  dino Mon Sep 01, 2008 6:27 am

take a look at general graber 205/70/15, it will make your speedo more accurate a bit, not much, but anyway, IMHO is the best looking tire out there for DS for the 1300
I got one and love it, great performing tire, smoother ride, etc...and looks good.
dino
dino

Number of posts : 148
Registration date : 2008-01-05

http://www.boncphoto.com

Back to top Go down

Post  jedishon Mon Sep 01, 2008 9:11 am

With a 65 series your speedo goes from 10% to 13% off.
With a 70 series Your speedo goes from 10% to 6.5% off.
The 65 is close to original size.
The 70 will raise your bike a little.
You should pick a tire to match your riding style, and height. Read some of the threads featuring
the different sizes. There is a lot of information in this site, take advantage of it.

And there is no such thing as a stupid question......
Jerry
jedishon
jedishon
Super User
Super User

Back to top Go down

Post  tigrejr Wed Sep 03, 2008 6:09 pm

Will I put a 205/65/15 on my bike yeaterday. Did a timed mile by the speedo and ran a mile in 62 sec at the speed indicated on the speedo of 60 mph. So I would say that it is off by about 2-3 mph. The bike also sounds like it is running at a lower rpm then it did with the mt on it. I noticed a little bit of over/under steer when going into a curve. What ever you put in you took out when you came out of the curve. I am starting with 42 psi, the tire states max psi 44. The tire is the douglas tire that wal-mart sales. I am happy with the way the bike handles. A bike shop mounted the tire for me. I offered to help and explained using the cooking oil but he went and use the soap and water to get the bead to seal. He said it took a 100 psi to seat the beads. He did the bit about the bike would not handle right with a ct on it but when I left he asked to stop by and give him updates. He is building his own bike in the back. I talked to some of my Uncles who have been riding since the early 50's on harleys and they said that they had always had ct on there bikes. It wasnt until the late or mid 50's ear;y 60's that the mt came around that they could recall. If any one has an idea of what the correct air pressure should be, let me know.

Thanks
Jerry

tigrejr

Back to top Go down

Post  papa Wed Sep 03, 2008 10:38 pm

I think the consensus around here on tire pressure is what ever feels best for your driving style. Seems most end up between 39-44 psi. I ended up with 36. but I am 135 lbs soaking wet Smile . The more aggressive your driving style, the more air pressure you will want, while trying to stay within the manufacturer's limit.

papa

Number of posts : 85
Registration date : 2008-06-27

Back to top Go down

Post  gstanfield Wed Sep 03, 2008 11:08 pm

The general is rated for 51psi and I am running 41 in it and like the feel very much. Any more and it ride even harsher than the MT and less feels spongy to me. As said though, your milage may vary do what feels right to you.

George
gstanfield
gstanfield
Super User
Super User

Number of posts : 583
Registration date : 2007-12-15

Back to top Go down

Post  smokey2255 Thu Sep 04, 2008 3:57 am

tigrejr wrote:After doing a lot of reading on this site, I have decided to go with the douglas 195/65/15. From what I have read it is not a bad tire to start with. It looks like it has a good tread pattern and is a all season tire. If anyone else has any info for me that would help it would be appriciated

The 195 will work on the stock rim, but most go to the 205 and love it. Myself included.
Enjoy the ride

See you out there
Smokey
smokey2255
smokey2255
Admin
Admin

Number of posts : 2451
Registration date : 2007-12-14

Back to top Go down

Post  jedishon Thu Sep 04, 2008 7:12 am

I'm running 40-42 lbs in the same tire.

Jerry
jedishon
jedishon
Super User
Super User

Back to top Go down

Post  Hudi Thu Sep 04, 2008 7:56 am

started at 35 felt spongy, went up to 40, that seems to be the best for me. douglas 205 here

Hudi

Number of posts : 109
Registration date : 2008-01-11

Back to top Go down

Post  twin1300 Thu Sep 04, 2008 8:43 am

tigrejr,

Welcome to the wonderful world of the darkside. I run the Douglas 205/65/15 also! Like every one has said....according to your riding style air pressure makes all the difference! Go 4-5 psi up or down until you find what you like. You shouldn't have to go more than 10 psi to find it! Good luck and let us know how it goes!

................bobby

twin1300
twin1300
Admin
Admin

Number of posts : 4689
Registration date : 2007-12-14

Back to top Go down

Post  BRCSKB4 Thu Sep 04, 2008 11:36 pm

I ran the Douglas 205/65/15 for awhile and it done well, It handled the Mountains in North Arkansas on a trip Me and some Friends took and interstate riding as well. I changed to the Michelin Hydrosport in a 205/70/15 for the speed rating and also for a little more ground clearence,(to keep from scraping the boards so much in the twisties) also like the tread pattern!!The ride is about the same and it did raise the back up about an inch. Hope this helps.

BRCSKB4

Number of posts : 13
Registration date : 2008-01-22

Back to top Go down

Post  tigrejr Sat Sep 06, 2008 5:50 am

Well I have had the tire on for a few days now. I have over a 100 miles on it now and have adjusted the psi to 42 psi. I like the way it handles right now, but still get that floating feeling coming off a hard curve. I guessing its from the tire being round and going back to the tread being flat. I have had people (were I work) look me up and ask me about the tire. Most of them said they noticed the tire right away because of the wideth. I explain to them why I changed to a ct and show them the video from the site of how the ct handles. They cant believe how it does. When I tell them the price of the tire vs the price of a new mt they cant believe the difference. A few of them are going to check out the site and they might even go to the dark side.
Jerry
In NC.

tigrejr

Back to top Go down

Post  jedishon Sat Sep 06, 2008 1:02 pm

Jerry after 1,000 miles you wont notice any floating feeling. The secret id to ride, ride and ride some more....

Jerry
jedishon
jedishon
Super User
Super User

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down