Riding on the Darkside
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Sealing Rim Problem/Review

2 posters

Go down

Sealing Rim Problem/Review Empty Sealing Rim Problem/Review

Post  wiggans50cal Mon Aug 18, 2008 8:26 pm

I dont know what happened, but I had 2 spokes slowly leaking air after sealing the rim. I took the tire off and inspected it on the inside, I could not find one single crack or bubble in the sealant, so it had to be small. I used waynes exact instructions for the most part, I sanded and primered the inside of the wheel, then sealed around the nuts with 5200 fast cure first and popped all the bubbles with my finger, and packing it down in the grooves. Then I started with the first coat, waited a day with it in the hot sun, then put on another coat and let it cure for a little longer. I used this high strength super glue by loctite, (498 is the number) and glued the rubber band in OVER the sealant. I noticed the next day that 2 spokes were leaking, tried to patch them on the outside (which i knew was a bad idea) with some glue and magnum steel on top of that, and it worked great!!! for a day :-(.... So, today i located another factory size inner tube with a 90 degree angle center stem and picked out my dynabeeds, inserted the tube and lubed the beads up with tire mounting soap and applied 100 LBS of pressure. She popped into place. Again, this was a FACTORY TUBE. It was easy enough, i just aired it up to 60, deflate, and then to 100LBS and it popped. I poored my dyna beads in, and mounted her up. 41LBS of air and it rides good. Im sure I did something wrong, but man i was extra careful. A tube was a very easy fix, and fairly easy mount, not quite as easy as tubeless but it was worth going back to a tube. Thank you guys so much for your advise!!! I just figured I would share my experience so the new guys with spokes know what they might be running into. Wayne, thanks for the advise and in no way am I saying your process does not work, I probably did something wrong but I just dont see what. To whoever is going darkside with a spoked VTX, a factory sized tube WILL work with a 205/70-15 general grabber. Thanks again guys!

wiggans50cal

Number of posts : 48
Registration date : 2008-07-11

Back to top Go down

Sealing Rim Problem/Review Empty Re: Sealing Rim Problem/Review

Post  horseman8m Mon Aug 18, 2008 8:33 pm

Good write up , thanks 50cal.
Horse
horseman8m
horseman8m

Number of posts : 1449
Registration date : 2008-02-09