Riding on the Darkside
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

High Speed Wobble

+11
wolfpack72
meta355
Morgan Buchanan
Steve-O
twin1300
horseman8m
smokey2255
wayne
jedishon
dirtwarrior
kermit
15 posters

Go down

High Speed Wobble Empty High Speed Wobble

Post  kermit Sat Aug 16, 2008 10:47 pm

I started having a high speed wobble (85+ miles). I don't regularly drive this fast, but I don't want a wobble at any speed. It ain't right. Anyway, I got a new Metzeler for the front. It was well overdue so, I didn't mind spending the money. Now, my baby rides smooth as silk. Til I hit about 85 miles. As stated, I don't regularly drive this fast, but, I DON'T WANT A WOBBLE

Please tell me what you think.
kermit
kermit

Number of posts : 389
Registration date : 2008-01-14

Back to top Go down

High Speed Wobble Empty Re: High Speed Wobble

Post  dirtwarrior Sat Aug 16, 2008 11:09 pm

Can you give more info. Mods,accessories etc. This might help pin point the problem.
dirtwarrior
dirtwarrior

Number of posts : 148
Registration date : 2008-07-09

Back to top Go down

Post  kermit Sun Aug 17, 2008 12:41 am

I have lots of mods and accessories, but, none that I can think of that would cause a wobble.
kermit
kermit

Back to top Go down

Post  jedishon Sun Aug 17, 2008 7:54 am

Have you replaced the steering bearings yet? I have mine in the garage waiting. try increasing your rear air pressure by 5 lbs, if this stops the wobble, its probably the bearings. You can put it up on a stand and run it up to 90 to make sure the rear tire is still balanced and to make sure it hasn't broken a belt. I know mine is from the front because I get up to speed and very gradually change lanes when the front tire hits the groove between lines it starts its wobble, then when the back tire hits it there is no difference. Its a common problem with the 1300.....
Many others have it, and I.m sure some will chime in.

Jerry
jedishon
jedishon
Super User
Super User

Number of posts : 4436
Registration date : 2007-12-18

Back to top Go down

Post  kermit Sun Aug 17, 2008 9:49 am

jedishon wrote: Its a common problem with the 1300.....

Jerry

So, is it usually fixed with the stem nut bearing?
kermit
kermit

Back to top Go down

Post  wayne Sun Aug 17, 2008 10:05 am

One thing I didnt mention on the OB is you might also try cranking up you shock preload. I know they ride stiffer with them cranked up. But I will get a little wollowing when mine are down.

wayne

Number of posts : 623

Back to top Go down

Post  jedishon Sun Aug 17, 2008 11:11 am

kermit wrote:
jedishon wrote: Its a common problem with the 1300.....

Jerry

So, is it usually fixed with the stem nut bearing?

Here is for the bearing.... http://tech.vtxoa.com/index.php?action=artikel&cat=38&id=172&artlang=en

But I forgot the first thing to check is the shock bushings. If the bolt holding the shocks on is not in the center you need to replace the rubber bushings with a nylon one........

Jerry
jedishon
jedishon
Super User
Super User

Back to top Go down

Post  smokey2255 Sun Aug 17, 2008 3:49 pm

+1 shock bushings first then the steering head bearings. Are you running dyna beads in the new tire?

See you out there
Smokey
smokey2255
smokey2255
Admin
Admin

Number of posts : 2451
Registration date : 2007-12-14

Back to top Go down

Post  horseman8m Sun Aug 17, 2008 6:12 pm

I agree with them , But if that isn't it then you might check your windshield, if it is the kind that is easily removed then take it off then drive up to the speed that you had the wobble . If it is the kind that is a pain to remove then check for loose hardware and retighten and adjust the windshield a degree up or down and try that to see if the wobble has changed.
Good luck,
Horse
horseman8m
horseman8m

Number of posts : 1449
Registration date : 2008-02-09

Back to top Go down

Post  twin1300 Mon Aug 18, 2008 7:54 am

kermit,

Even bikes with motorcycle tires all of a sudden produce wobbles. It can be a number of things...like the stock dunnie on the front, steering head bearings, worn shock bushings, etc!

...................bobby

twin1300
twin1300
Admin
Admin

Number of posts : 4689

Back to top Go down

Post  Steve-O Mon Aug 18, 2008 12:09 pm

Does it happen ever time you go over 85, or just some roads, some times?
Steve-O
Steve-O
Moderate user
Moderate user

Number of posts : 1153
Registration date : 2008-02-05

Back to top Go down

Post  kermit Mon Aug 18, 2008 3:42 pm

I'm going to take it out on a good strip of highway and give it a run. Running 90 without the windhshield? That'll be fun. Very Happy
Going to also adjust the shocks and I've checked my tire pressure. I have Progressive 412's, Dynabeads all around and new Metzeler on the front. I'm getting ready to order stem nut bearing and front wheel bearings if none of this other stuff works. It only happens if I go around 85 or so. And that's a true 85 (have speedohealer), which makes me believe I've never had it up that high, as I was only going as high as 90 before the speedohealer. My speedo was 13% off. I'll just see what happens. Steve was behind me and thought I was playing games. He said all he could see was the back of my bike rocking from left to right. It was pretty scary so you can see why I'm not quick to re-enact it. Shocked
kermit
kermit

Back to top Go down

Post  Morgan Buchanan Tue Aug 19, 2008 5:16 am

what is your car tire? I saw a theory the other day about taller, softer sidewalls and lower speed ratings. Just a thought. My v-rated, 205/55 with my suspension on 5 hasn't every wobbled even a teeny tiny little bit, and I've been well past 100.
Morgan Buchanan
Morgan Buchanan

Number of posts : 267
Registration date : 2007-12-20

Back to top Go down

Post  meta355 Fri Aug 22, 2008 10:20 pm

I agree. The taller slower rated tires are the cause of my wobble. I have checked and rechecked everything that could cause a 85-90 mph wobble. Outside of an under rated tire the only other thing it could be is a misalignment between the front and rear tire. I remember a guy trammed it out once and found his rear tire 3/8" to the left(I think). I have chosen to stay under 90. I love everything else about the Douglas 205. I love it so much I did a smokey burnout today! Cool

meta355

Number of posts : 20
Registration date : 2007-12-16

Back to top Go down

Post  wolfpack72 Fri Aug 22, 2008 10:54 pm

with the VTX being shaft driven is it common for the rear tire to be out of alignment of the front? I didn't think there was any adjustment on the rear.
wolfpack72
wolfpack72

Number of posts : 51
Registration date : 2008-01-01

http://profile.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=user.viewprofile

Back to top Go down

Post  battoo Sat Aug 23, 2008 4:26 pm

Well I found the cure for my wobble i raised the rear tire psi to 45 from 35 and it is no longer there
battoo
battoo

Number of posts : 75

Back to top Go down

High Speed Wobble Empty tires and wobble

Post  Danodemotoman Tue Sep 09, 2008 2:33 am

Sounds familiar to me.
I ride a sport tourer, Kaw Concours.
First let me explain that my application has limited tire choices due to a narrow swingarm clearance.. No premium tires available AFAIK.
First ct was a Nankang 165R15 which I believe is also a 80 series tire. Tall sidewall! It had to much sidewall flex. Had the wobble starting at 85 mph. Don';t consider this tire to be of good quality for mc's.
All ct's are not the same, similar to MC tires they have different characteristics.
Current tire is Federal brand same size. It also has a tall sidewall.The Federal had no 'noticeable' sidewall flex in moderate to spirited riding and makes me very pleased with the handling. Tho it does start to wobble at over the ton. Today at 115 it wobbled way too much. I rarely ever ride that fast tho so it is not an issue except in 'testing mode". Apart from the wobble the Federal seems to be a quality tire and runs very smooth.
In my search the remaining third tire yet to be tried by myself is the Kuhmo.
All my choices (so far) have the lower 118mph speed rating. Also have a one ply sidewall.

meta355 wrote:I agree. The taller slower rated tires are the cause of my wobble. I have checked and rechecked everything that could cause a 85-90 mph wobble. Outside of an under rated tire the only other thing it could be is a misalignment between the front and rear tire. I remember a guy trammed it out once and found his rear tire 3/8" to the left(I think). I have chosen to stay under 90. I love everything else about the Douglas 205. I love it so much I did a smokey burnout today! Cool

Danodemotoman

Number of posts : 37
Registration date : 2008-09-05

Back to top Go down

Post  nodakbassmaster Tue Sep 09, 2008 3:11 am

lots of good advice, but first thing to check is balance of the tire... if it was static balanced, I'd recommend some beads... if you have beads then the next thing I'D guess is steering bearings...

edit: what's your mileage? that may or may not push shock bushings like previously mentioned up into the mix (and easy to look at!)

let us know what the fix is... Very Happy
nodakbassmaster
nodakbassmaster
Admin
Admin

Number of posts : 1604
Registration date : 2007-12-15

Back to top Go down

High Speed Wobble Empty High Speed Wobble

Post  vstarman Sun Sep 14, 2008 7:24 am

Metzeler's like lots of air pressure... You should be running at least 40lbs. of air in that new front tire of yours..

vstarman

Number of posts : 7
Registration date : 2008-09-10

Back to top Go down

Post  kermit Sat Oct 04, 2008 5:59 pm

I know that post pretty much died, but I just wanted to let you guys know that I had that dreaded high speed wobble, more of a high speed sway from side to side and I finally fixed it by changing out the front wheel bearings. I still have the steering nut bearing and the front springs in a box and will change them soon, but for now, 90 and no wobble or even vibration.
kermit
kermit

Back to top Go down

Post  jedishon Sat Oct 04, 2008 7:21 pm

Glad you got it fixed..... Mine was the windshield, from the taller front tire and the shorter rear tire changing the angle...

Jerry
jedishon
jedishon
Super User
Super User

Back to top Go down

Post  horseman8m Sun Oct 05, 2008 9:02 pm

kermit wrote:I know that post pretty much died, but I just wanted to let you guys know that I had that dreaded high speed wobble, more of a high speed sway from side to side and I finally fixed it by changing out the front wheel bearings. I still have the steering nut bearing and the front springs in a box and will change them soon, but for now, 90 and no wobble or even vibration.

I'm glad you got it fixed , I just wanted to know how many miles are on your VTX?
If I am close to your miles then when i change out my shock bushings i might replace the front wheel bearings too. thanks again Kermit for keeping us up to date.
Your friend,
Horse
horseman8m
horseman8m

Back to top Go down

Post  twin1300 Mon Oct 06, 2008 7:10 am

kermit wrote:I know that post pretty much died, but I just wanted to let you guys know that I had that dreaded high speed wobble, more of a high speed sway from side to side and I finally fixed it by changing out the front wheel bearings. I still have the steering nut bearing and the front springs in a box and will change them soon, but for now, 90 and no wobble or even vibration.

Thanks for the heads up kermit.......that's why you are our Queen..... :queen:

....................bobby

twin1300
twin1300
Admin
Admin

Number of posts : 4689

Back to top Go down

Post  kermit Mon Oct 06, 2008 5:05 pm

I have around 13,000 miles on mine. All Balls wheel bearings cost around 20.00. definitely worth it. Much nicer ride. I was going out of my drive for a test drive after installing them and I could already tell a difference. Couldn't put a finger on it, but it was a noticeable difference. Bike just seemed to be more stable. All in all, change out took around 45 minutes. And that was spending 20 minutes trying to figure out how to do it. Very Happy
kermit
kermit

Back to top Go down

Post  horseman8m Tue Oct 07, 2008 10:02 pm

Just to let you know Kermit , I checked my front wheel bearings when i changed my shock bushings last night, the wheel bearings are still in great shape but i am going to get some on order anyway . thanks for the heads up.
Horse
horseman8m
horseman8m

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down