Riding on the Darkside
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

New guy saying high!

4 posters

Go down

New guy saying high! Empty New guy saying high!

Post  Bman44 Wed Jul 30, 2008 8:24 pm

Hey everyone! New man on board here, but not new to riding. Started out way back in 1978, skipped a few years here and there though. Been back on bikes for several years now. Current rides are 1999 Kawi Vulcan 800 Classic and a 1996 Yami Virago535. Don't get to ride every day like I want because of work and family, but try to get out a few times a week. I live in the Florida panhandle so there isn't much for twisties, but there are still some really fun roads to ride. Hey, you make the best out of what you have! Looking forward to reading the forums and hope I can fit in!

Bman44

Number of posts : 13
Registration date : 2008-07-30

Back to top Go down

New guy saying high! Empty Re: New guy saying high!

Post  smokey2255 Wed Jul 30, 2008 8:59 pm

Bman

Welcome, you already fit in .... you ride.

See you out there
Smokey
smokey2255
smokey2255
Admin
Admin

Number of posts : 2451
Registration date : 2007-12-14

Back to top Go down

Post  twin1300 Wed Jul 30, 2008 9:27 pm

+ 1....we are glad to have you sir...make yourself at home!

..........................bobby

twin1300
twin1300
Admin
Admin

Number of posts : 4689

Back to top Go down

Post  Bman44 Wed Jul 30, 2008 10:14 pm

Thanks for the welcome guys! Glad to be here. I heard of this site on another site I belong to, and from what I've read so far, I think I really like it here. Now, I don't know if I'm asking this in the right place or not, but here goes. I need to replace the tires on my Vulcan, and I would like to know more about using the car tires ya'll talk about. I've always put bike tires on my bikes. Just exactly is the deal? If the car tires will last longer, fit right and not change the handling, it may just be what I need. I really appreciate any help. Thanks in advance!

Bman44

Back to top Go down

Post  smokey2255 Thu Jul 31, 2008 4:08 am

Bman
Depending on which car tire you go with, it will change the handling characteristics somewhat. Typically it takes more counter steer to throw one over in the twisties. Not enough that you would notice after a couple hundred miles on it but it is different. Also the car tire gives you more feed back from the road. An example being that when running down the interstate I have a few sections that the right lane is grooved from traffic. When I am running through this area I can feel the grooves with my 205. The 205 wants to ride up on them and the front mc tire wants to ride in them. Not a big deal ..... just the nature of the tire. Know that it is different but not dractically so. That being said the car tire out performs the mc tire in every condition you can throw at it.

Good luck

See you out there
Smokey
smokey2255
smokey2255
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Bman44 Thu Jul 31, 2008 5:49 am

Thanks Smokey! Now, as I said, I ride a 99 Vulcan 800 Classic. It's all stock. What size tire would go on my bike, and can you do the same thing to the front? If you read my profile, you saw I work for the city here where I live, and I can promise you it doesn't exactly mean I'm making huge money! LOL! So, I really need to stretch out every dollar I can on my bike. Making the tires last longer would be a big step towards doing that. Again, thanks alot Smokey!

Bman44

Back to top Go down

Post  smokey2255 Thu Jul 31, 2008 7:02 am

Bman
We would need to know the size of the stock tire to see what would fit. We may also need measure ments of swingarm and such. Lets start with the tire size and go from there.

See you out there
Smokey
smokey2255
smokey2255
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  jedishon Thu Jul 31, 2008 7:06 am

Bman welcome to the site....Good group of people here.....
For a rear tire you will need to know the size of your rim. Ideally you want to get a tire that has a bead width ( while sitting on the floor with no load) that is no more than 1" wider than your rim.... I am not saying anything wider wont work, it might, but it will be harder to seat. Also if you have a spoked wheel you might want to seal it first.
Front tire. I have seen the custom builders putting car tires on their bikes, but I believe they are all show no go. Personally I use a metz ME880 on the front of mine, I have heard good things about Avon and Bridgestone. I can get 15-20,000 out of mine. I am sure Twin will be along to explain the dynamics of the front tire, and the reason you want a mt on the front. I dont remember it all or is that at all.... Feel free to ask what you want. Take a look at some of the threads, good info in there. The search feature will help narrow things down....

Jerry
jedishon
jedishon
Super User
Super User

Number of posts : 4436
Registration date : 2007-12-18

Back to top Go down

Post  Bman44 Thu Jul 31, 2008 12:37 pm

I kind of figured I would need my tire and rim size for this, I just kind of hoped that since my bike is all stock, maybe someone knew the tire size and all. I would have posted it this morning, but it is pretty dark when I get up (4:45am). My tire size for the rear is 140/90-16. Without taking the tire off, I can't really measure the rim, but I tried to eye-ball it with my tape measure and it appears to be about 4 and a half inches wide, maybe 5. I hope that helps ya'll to figure out what size tire I can use. I have decided to go ahead and use a motorcycle tire for the front since it sounds like thats all that can be used.

I really appreciate all the effort guys, you are all such a big help! I am really glad I heard of this site.

Bman44

Back to top Go down

Post  jedishon Thu Jul 31, 2008 1:09 pm

an exact match would be a 195/65/16....but nobody makes one that I can find....Maybe someone else will come along that knows more (almost everyone does).....

You would be our first 800 darksider....

Jerry
jedishon
jedishon
Super User
Super User

Number of posts : 4436
Registration date : 2007-12-18

Back to top Go down

Post  Bman44 Thu Jul 31, 2008 4:14 pm

Man, I really appreciate that Jerry, you have been a big help! A few of the guys that sells tires are friends of mine, one is even a rider. If one of them doesn't have what I need, maybe one of them knows someone that does. I really need new tires, the ones on there now kind of worry me. That is the main reason I haven't been able to get in alot of riding. I restrict my riding to quick ones, long enough to keep the battery good and charged and to keep trash from building up in anything. I do alot of my own maintainance, but I'm no mechanic. But it's hard to just let "Hank" sit out there when I know he's dying to ride as much as me. LOL!! This is a really great bike. Out of the several I have had in the past, this is my favorite. I've had it for 3 years and not once has upgrading to a bigger bike ever crossed my mind. This bike can and does everything I want a bike to do to make me happy. It has great torque in all gears, braking is perfect for me, and it is just damn comfortable. My longest ride on it so far is just over 200 miles in a day, and by the time I got home I felt as if I would from a 30 minute ride. This bike will be with me for a long time to come.

Bman44

Back to top Go down

Post  Bman44 Fri Aug 01, 2008 3:50 pm

Got some great news today! Checked in with one of the tire stores here in town and they have the tire size I need to go on the back of my bike!! The owner wasn't there so I couldn't get a price. He is a friend of mine so I'm hoping he'll cut me a deal. The only problem is that he doesn't mount tires on bikes. That isn't much of a problem though, it just means I will have to go to the shop I usually get my tires from. On second thought, it will be fine as I have to replace the front tire also. Looks like my 800 Classic will be riding on the darkside very soon! Man, I just can't wait!!

Bman44

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum