Riding on the Darkside
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

drive swap

+4
twin1300
jedishon
twistedrcpilot
kermit
8 posters

Go down

drive swap Empty drive swap

Post  kermit Wed Jul 30, 2008 4:35 pm

I posted on the ob about this and didn't get much feedback. Everybody keeps talking about swapping out the 1300 final drive with the 1800 and I need a good detailed answer of what an 1800 drive would do for my 1300c. I'm running the 165/80/15, if that makes a difference. I'm just looking to do something different.
kermit
kermit

Number of posts : 389
Registration date : 2008-01-14

Back to top Go down

drive swap Empty Re: drive swap

Post  twistedrcpilot Thu Jul 31, 2008 2:24 am

I don't have detailed numbers for you, but I'll share what I know. I traded a 1800 final for a 1300. They are in the same case so any of them will fit and, it's about a 30 min job.

The 1800 is going to give you a faster take off and a lower top speed. This makes for awsome drag racing if you can get through the gears fast enough. MPG suffers a little bit. Speedo will be off by about 8% in addition to however much it was off before.

On the other end of the spectrum, the 1300 final on a 1800 gives you slower take offs(really un noticable), and higher top speed. Cruising is a lot better because you no longer look for a 6th gear. MPG should be better. Speedo correct plus or minus 1/2 a mile.

Hope this helps.

twistedrcpilot

Number of posts : 23
Registration date : 2008-06-18

Back to top Go down

Post  jedishon Thu Jul 31, 2008 7:24 am

So the Queen of the mountains wants to be the Drag Queen I mean Queen of the drag strip too.....Very interesting......

Jerry
jedishon
jedishon
Super User
Super User

Number of posts : 4436
Registration date : 2007-12-18

Back to top Go down

Post  twin1300 Thu Jul 31, 2008 8:05 am

kermit!

It benefits the 1800 to have a 1300 drive more because it give them better gas mileage. On the other hand the 1300 with a 1800 drive will give more umph out of it and get there quicker but will kill you gas mileage and make running the highway your rpm's will be considerably higher.

.................bobby

twin1300
twin1300
Admin
Admin

Number of posts : 4689
Registration date : 2007-12-14

Back to top Go down

Post  kermit Thu Jul 31, 2008 9:03 am

twin1300 wrote:kermit!

It benefits the 1800 to have a 1300 drive more because it give them better gas mileage. On the other hand the 1300 with a 1800 drive will give more umph out of it and get there quicker but will kill you gas mileage and make running the highway your rpm's will be considerably higher.

.................bobby

So, my bike would have quicker takeoff, but sound like a really loud blender? Not really worried about the speedo diff, got a speedohealer coming in the mail. I'd probably start looking for 6th alot sooner, right? Also, would it sound any different going down the interstate? What a Face
kermit
kermit

Back to top Go down

Post  kermit Thu Jul 31, 2008 9:06 am

.................bobby

Oh, sorry, didn't really pay that close attention to the last sentence. Guess it would sound alot different going down the highway. Like a sewing machine on crack.
kermit
kermit

Back to top Go down

Post  wayne Thu Jul 31, 2008 9:21 am

I have the 1800 final in mine.
First off youll love it.
Faster alll the way thru the gears. Faster pick up when your passing
Didnt notice and diff. in gas mileage, and some of the other guy didnt also. I m getting about 40 to 44 and that about what I got before.
My speedo is off by 10% at this time. (gps)
My indicated speed- Well I was reading 124 and I ran out of road but it was still pulling strong, so I was probley doing 110 at the time, so I would say it will do 115 the way it is set up. I dont need to go any faster than that, Im getting to old for that $hit.
All in All, I really like it, on Country roads its great , and in town
Your rpm are about 230 more on Interstae, that not to bad, I listen to some of the other bike and im not turnning anymore rpms than they are and if your rideing side by side with another 1300 you cant really hear or tell the diff. Unless ofcorse you open it up. Very Happy
I still have my 1300 final, if I go on another long trip 3k or more I may stick it back in just for the trip.
But just for the trip, I love the 1800 final.

wayne

Number of posts : 623
Registration date : 2007-12-18

Back to top Go down

Post  Morgan Buchanan Thu Jul 31, 2008 11:14 am

I think that the drive swap is really personal... For some 18 guys the 13 drive is better, and for some the 18 is better. With some 13 guys, the 18 drive is better, for some, the 13... just depends on your riding style. I can't BELIEVE how much I love the 13 drive on my 18.
Morgan Buchanan
Morgan Buchanan

Number of posts : 267
Registration date : 2007-12-20

Back to top Go down

Post  twistedrcpilot Thu Jul 31, 2008 3:57 pm

Morgan Buchanan wrote:I think that the drive swap is really personal... For some 18 guys the 13 drive is better, and for some the 18 is better. With some 13 guys, the 18 drive is better, for some, the 13... just depends on your riding style. I can't BELIEVE how much I love the 13 drive on my 18.

you just like the idea that it's chrome!!!

twistedrcpilot

Back to top Go down

Post  Bman44 Thu Jul 31, 2008 5:06 pm

I think Morgan is right, it's a personal choice. You could try it and see. If you like it, no problem. If not, you could always sell it, or just keep it in case you change your mind later.

That is a really nice looking bike you have there kermit! It looks like alot of fun! Are those Wiillie and Max bags hanging on there? They look just like the ones on my bike.

Bman44

Number of posts : 13
Registration date : 2008-07-30

Back to top Go down

Post  kermit Thu Jul 31, 2008 5:39 pm

Yep, Willie & Max. This is the 2nd set I've owned and I do like them. I want hardbags when I can get them. I just have to save up for them. Guess these will do til I get them. They hold enough stuff, and I have Ghost Brackets holding them on.
kermit
kermit

Back to top Go down

Post  Morgan Buchanan Sun Aug 03, 2008 9:38 am

twistedrcpilot wrote:you just like the idea that it's chrome!!!

Well DUH. Smile
Morgan Buchanan
Morgan Buchanan

Back to top Go down

Post  twin1300 Sun Aug 03, 2008 2:58 pm

kermit wrote:

.................bobby

So, my bike would have quicker takeoff, but sound like a really loud blender? Not really worried about the speedo diff, got a speedohealer coming in the mail. I'd probably start looking for 6th alot sooner, right? Also, would it sound any different going down the interstate? What a Face

+1....good way to explain it....looking for 6th way sooner!

...................bobby

twin1300
twin1300
Admin
Admin

Number of posts : 4689
Registration date : 2007-12-14

Back to top Go down

Post  Warlock Sun Aug 03, 2008 11:29 pm

I'm running the 1800 rear end on my C model. I like the set up. My buddy has a 1300 c model with the Buds and we ran to see how they different. Once we shifted into 2nd I started pulling away and was still pulling away at over a 100. I have the speedo healer also. I believe the 1800 rear end gave me a little more top end speed being it will let it pull to the rev limiter. Before it wouldn't do this. Not a lot more on top end maybe 3-5 mph more. I do like the extra get up and go. Plan on keeping the 1800 rear end. I don't really notice the sound at 70. I have the JC Whitney pipes. Would I do it again would be yes but what I like might not be what the next fellow does. If you swap you will need the speedo healer for sure.
David

Warlock

Number of posts : 35
Registration date : 2007-12-15

Back to top Go down

Post  twistedrcpilot Mon Aug 04, 2008 2:36 am

Warlock wrote:I'm running the 1800 rear end on my C model. I like the set up. My buddy has a 1300 c model with the Buds and we ran to see how they different. Once we shifted into 2nd I started pulling away and was still pulling away at over a 100. I have the speedo healer also. I believe the 1800 rear end gave me a little more top end speed being it will let it pull to the rev limiter. Before it wouldn't do this. Not a lot more on top end maybe 3-5 mph more. I do like the extra get up and go. Plan on keeping the 1800 rear end. I don't really notice the sound at 70. I have the JC Whitney pipes. Would I do it again would be yes but what I like might not be what the next fellow does. If you swap you will need the speedo healer for sure.
David

In essance, It gives you less horse power and more torque measured at the wheel.

Last edited by twistedrcpilot on Tue Aug 05, 2008 10:03 am; edited 1 time in total

twistedrcpilot

Back to top Go down

Post  Morgan Buchanan Mon Aug 04, 2008 4:52 am

And the old saying is we pay for horsepower, but ride the torque.
Morgan Buchanan
Morgan Buchanan

Back to top Go down

Post  Warlock Mon Aug 04, 2008 11:09 pm

twistedrcpilot wrote:
Warlock wrote:I'm running the 1800 rear end on my C model. I like the set up. My buddy has a 1300 c model with the Buds and we ran to see how they different. Once we shifted into 2nd I started pulling away and was still pulling away at over a 100. I have the speedo healer also. I believe the 1800 rear end gave me a little more top end speed being it will let it pull to the rev limiter. Before it wouldn't do this. Not a lot more on top end maybe 3-5 mph more. I do like the extra get up and go. Plan on keeping the 1800 rear end. I don't really notice the sound at 70. I have the JC Whitney pipes. Would I do it again would be yes but what I like might not be what the next fellow does. If you swap you will need the speedo healer for sure.
David

In essance, It gives you less horse power and more torque.
You still have the same hp at the outputshaft, but I still run quicker and more on top end. Go figure :cyclops:
David

Warlock

Number of posts : 35
Registration date : 2007-12-15

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum