Riding on the Darkside
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Set a new personal time record!

+7
papa
jedishon
dino
Toasted_311
Tanglefoot
smokey2255
gstanfield
11 posters

Go down

Set a new personal time record! Empty Set a new personal time record!

Post  gstanfield Sun Jul 27, 2008 8:11 pm

NOTE: The story being told is completely fictional and therfore has no bearing in court to be used as evidence against me. Wink

On my way back from teaching out of town today my best friend and I set a new personal best record for getting home. It is 131.6 miles and our old record was a best time of 1:27 (plenty fast) Today there was very little traffic and it was hot so we were in a hurry to get home from a long tiring weekend. We hit the roads hard and heavy and rolled into town an hour and twenty minutes later!! Yes that's right we went 131.6 miles in 1:20 minutes for a new record average speed of 90.75mph average. We pass through two small towns on the way which cuts our speed a little and of course slow when we meet a car to make sure it's not an officer of the law Smile I scrapped my peg once in a turn at over 95mph!

It was a fun day, although legally it never happened and of course this story is all made up Wink (or is it?)

GEorge
gstanfield
gstanfield
Super User
Super User

Number of posts : 583
Registration date : 2007-12-15

Back to top Go down

Set a new personal time record! Empty Re: Set a new personal time record!

Post  gstanfield Sun Jul 27, 2008 8:12 pm

Forgot to mention this was almost all two lane (all but the last 15 miles) at a posted speed limit of 65mph

George
gstanfield
gstanfield
Super User
Super User

Back to top Go down

Post  smokey2255 Sun Jul 27, 2008 8:54 pm

Sounds like one of dem thar ficticious stories to me Wink Laughing Laughing I like them kind of rides myself.

See you out there
Smokey
smokey2255
smokey2255
Admin
Admin

Number of posts : 2451
Registration date : 2007-12-14

Back to top Go down

Post  Tanglefoot Sun Jul 27, 2008 9:49 pm

It doesn't matter if it is a fictional story 'cause I don't believe it. Their should be no problem in a court of law. Hehehehe Hawhawhaw
Tanglefoot
Tanglefoot
Super User
Super User

Number of posts : 259

Back to top Go down

Post  Toasted_311 Sun Jul 27, 2008 10:09 pm

Nice dream sir. Wink
Toasted_311
Toasted_311
Admin
Admin

Number of posts : 1132

https://mcdarksiders.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post  dino Mon Jul 28, 2008 6:55 am

well I guess since your speedo is off, then your watch must be off to, lol, Very Happy

just kiddig man
dino
dino

Number of posts : 148
Registration date : 2008-01-05

http://www.boncphoto.com

Back to top Go down

Post  jedishon Mon Jul 28, 2008 7:30 am

George, George, george........shame on you/congrats on your new record, Glad you had a little fun..

Jerry
jedishon
jedishon
Super User
Super User

Number of posts : 4436
Registration date : 2007-12-18

Back to top Go down

Post  papa Mon Jul 28, 2008 8:02 am

Be careful guy! You will only no what the limit is when you go past it. There was a friend of mine from Kansas that rode his bike to work every day. There was a curve in the road on that route that he was constantly trying to take little faster, and he would tell me what he did it in on the days he exceeded his last speed. Well he lost control on one of those day's and slide off the road into a barbed wire fence. I guess it was a pretty gruesome site from what I was told, and they said he died instantly. I know, if he was running a car tire he might still be here. Just be careful my friends.

papa

Number of posts : 85
Registration date : 2008-06-27

Back to top Go down

Post  gstanfield Mon Jul 28, 2008 5:49 pm

Good advice. 37% of all motorcycle fatalaties involve nothing more than a bike and a curve! I was nowhere near my max lean angle though, I go quite a ways after the pegs scrape before I drag frame rails. (yes, my frame has scratches on it from dragging)

Of course I would never advocate breaking the law, but had this story been real I can say it was one of the most fun rides I've done in a long time. (ever since I made it 52 miles in 24 minutes on my ST1300)

If you've never driven/ridden WY two lane roads you need to. Just last week I rode 42 miles and met ONE other vehicle and this was in broad daylight Smile

George
gstanfield
gstanfield
Super User
Super User

Back to top Go down

Post  Turdboy Mon Jul 28, 2008 10:06 pm

Whoa. Hang on George.
Turdboy
Turdboy

Number of posts : 25
Registration date : 2008-05-21

Back to top Go down

Post  gstanfield Mon Jul 28, 2008 10:54 pm

The more I think about it, the more I feel almost bad about posting this. I don't want to come across as a hoodlum or squid. I ride safe and sane 98% of the time. There are those occasions however when I just need a little rush of speed to help drown away the troubles of life. For that short time my focus was 100% of the situation at hand and I was able to completely forget how much life can suck at times and just ride and enjoy the thrill.

Don't know why I felt I needed to post this, but I guess mainly I just didn't want folks to get the wrong impression of me.

George
gstanfield
gstanfield
Super User
Super User

Back to top Go down

Post  smokey2255 Mon Jul 28, 2008 11:41 pm

No need to apologize around here George. We all ride for the same reasons. I too, do the break away, hard runs just to cleanse the soul and the mind. Enjoy it

See you out there
Smokey
smokey2255
smokey2255
Admin
Admin

Number of posts : 2451

Back to top Go down

Post  061300c Tue Jul 29, 2008 2:45 am

is this what your where afraid of looking like george Laughing Laughing Twisted Evil Twisted Evil

Set a new personal time record! Squidbilles

just razzin ya just be careful there is a fine line between control and disaster.

p.s. thats a squidbilly if yall didn't know it a tv show thats kinda funny in a beer swillin loss of brain cells kinda way

061300c

Number of posts : 44
Registration date : 2008-01-26

Back to top Go down

Post  Toasted_311 Tue Jul 29, 2008 3:03 am

George, you ever get the oil lose figured out?
Toasted_311
Toasted_311
Admin
Admin

Number of posts : 1132

https://mcdarksiders.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post  papa Tue Jul 29, 2008 7:47 am

Absolutely no need to apologize! I'll be 55 in another couple of month's and I still have the need for speed. I will still shoot over a 100 on open road. It is those dang curves that can eat you, not to mention the cagers that may pull out in front of you. But for some of us it is in our blood and it is part of what makes us feel alive. Enjoy what you do, just be careful Very Happy

papa

Number of posts : 85
Registration date : 2008-06-27

Back to top Go down

Post  gstanfield Tue Jul 29, 2008 9:39 pm

Still burning through oil at a crazy rate, especially on runs like that where high RPM's for long periods of time go on. I'm thinking it may be excess crank pressure like was mentioned. The reason it is not showing up anywhere would be that it is being sucked out the back of my air filter (Baron's BAK) and into the air. I'm going to do a test to see if this is it. My plan is to place a small section of absorbant matt in the back half of the air filter and see if any oil soaks into it. If so then it is time for more crank vents.

In the world of performance diesels when we start turning them over 4,000RPM's it is common place to drill the valve covers and add a few more crank vents seeing as how they were not designed for the high RPMs. By comparison, the VTX engine was not designed to turn 4,500RPM's for an hour at a time and maybe it is building too much pressure. Drilling and tapping the valve covers for extra remote breathers may help resolve the issue and it will probably be my next test.

Still working on it, not giving up yet.

George
gstanfield
gstanfield
Super User
Super User

Back to top Go down

Post  jedishon Wed Jul 30, 2008 7:45 am

gstanfield wrote:The more I think about it, the more I feel almost bad about posting this. I don't want to come across as a hoodlum or squid. I ride safe and sane 98% of the time. There are those occasions however when I just need a little rush of speed to help drown away the troubles of life. For that short time my focus was 100% of the situation at hand and I was able to completely forget how much life can suck at times and just ride and enjoy the thrill.

Don't know why I felt I needed to post this, but I guess mainly I just didn't want folks to get the wrong impression of me.

George

You sound like one of the guys to me. Apology not needed......

Jerry
jedishon
jedishon
Super User
Super User

Number of posts : 4436
Registration date : 2007-12-18

Back to top Go down

Post  twin1300 Wed Jul 30, 2008 8:28 am

jedishon wrote:
gstanfield wrote:The more I think about it, the more I feel almost bad about posting this. I don't want to come across as a hoodlum or squid. I ride safe and sane 98% of the time. There are those occasions however when I just need a little rush of speed to help drown away the troubles of life. For that short time my focus was 100% of the situation at hand and I was able to completely forget how much life can suck at times and just ride and enjoy the thrill.

George

You sound like one of the guys to me. Apology not needed......

Jerry

+1.....you sound normal to me! I like to stretch it's legs every once in a while myself!

..................bobby

twin1300
twin1300
Admin
Admin

Number of posts : 4689

Back to top Go down

Post  linuxbren Sat Aug 09, 2008 4:19 am

gstanfield wrote:If you've never driven/ridden WY two lane roads you need to. Just last week I rode 42 miles and met ONE other vehicle and this was in broad daylight :)George

I know exactly what you mean. Just got back from taking the long way to Sturgis (thru CO & WY). On 287 between Rawlins and Lander after heading West from Hwy 220 is an 80 mile stretch... I may have seen 4 cars total, and most of those passed us headed our way when we were stopped on the side of the road.

Two wheels at it's best. Just like some Kansas roads, except with MUCH better scenery. And I've got 150 pictures to prove it, I'm sure Wink
linuxbren
linuxbren

Number of posts : 15
Registration date : 2008-02-02

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down