Riding on the Darkside
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

I got it done! Am I the first?

+11
Capt. Rory
MikeCal 1300
DS-Wing-Nut
ROADHAWK
wayne
twin1300
kermitdog
horseman8m
grizak
dino
papa
15 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

I got it done! Am I the first? - Page 2 Empty Re: I got it done! Am I the first?

Post  MikeCal 1300 Sat Mar 14, 2009 11:41 pm

Glad to see that someone is runnung a CT with a spoke rim. I have an 03 VTX 1300R with spoke rims and am ready to go to the Darkside. I bought a Michelin Hydro Edge 200/65/15. I look at the tire and of course say "No way that tire will fit in there!"

I'll put the universal tube in like Papa But I'm not wild about the way he seals the bead.

My two questions, Will the Michelin fit as well as the General grabber, or will I have clearance problems?
Can I seal the bead some other way than going that fast on the stand, sounds dangerous.

I'm hesitant to get this tire mounted, can someone please give me some encouragement?

This is my first post but I've read and learned a lot on this forum, Thanks to all who contribute. cheers

Thanks,
Mike
MikeCal 1300
MikeCal 1300

Number of posts : 10
Registration date : 2009-03-14

Back to top Go down

I got it done! Am I the first? - Page 2 Empty Re: I got it done! Am I the first?

Post  Capt. Rory Sun Mar 15, 2009 10:32 am

Your tire should fit, I believe there are other here that run that tire. Instead of running a tube why not seal the rim. It is not hard to do and nice to know that with a plug and some air and you can make it home.
Capt. Rory
Capt. Rory

Number of posts : 8
Registration date : 2009-03-11

http://www.unitedcharters.com

Back to top Go down

Post  ttexastim Sun Mar 15, 2009 5:11 pm

My buddy just mounted his tire all by himself without incident. He had a spoked rim and used a tube. He aired it up to 100 a few times, Then he filled it up to 100 and bounced it a few times. Got both sides to seat that way.

You can do it!
ttexastim
ttexastim

Number of posts : 593
Registration date : 2007-12-27

Back to top Go down

Post  YoIdaho Sun Mar 15, 2009 5:52 pm

Since I read about this concern on VTXOA a few days back I set out to ask those
I know that have or could get some insight.

A friend asked a "inside guy that works R & D for a tire company"
of course he wasn't in favor of the darkside---but he did say that
after riding 20 miles to the point that the tires are warmed up,
feel both of them tread & sidewalls and compare the temperature.

here's a quote from a friend that rides the darkside he had about the same insight Cool

Running a tube in a tubeless tire on a car or truck can sometimes cause the tire to over heat and fail. Heat is caused by tire flex, usually with a heavy load.
I don't think you will have a problem running it on your motorcycle.
The next time you go for a long ride 20+ miles on a warm day check/feel your tire to see if it seems hot.
On hot days pavement can get fairly hot and tires are made to handle it, but with excessive heat build up,like running a low tire or heavy load they can fail.
You can also check the psi before you start then again after 20 miles of riding to see how much psi gain you have. 5 psi is acceptable.
Motorcycle tires will gain 5psi on hot days and more if under inflated.

So yesterday I go for a 180 mile ride do you think I remember to test? NO!
I've had my CT on since SEPT with close to 3000 miles for course all cool weather riding.
I will be testing and checking to see if there's a difference.

I like spoke rims, I've always wanted to get them PROFESSIONALLY sealed...someday I hope to.
Peace ~M
Smile
YoIdaho
YoIdaho

Number of posts : 45
Registration date : 2007-12-30

Back to top Go down

Post  AKACully Mon Mar 16, 2009 7:36 am

My Grabber was mounted last Wednesday on my stock 1300S rim without sealing. We used the standard tube, aired up to 100 psi and beat the heck out it with a dead blow hammer to finish beading. No problem.

Bill "AKACully"
AKACully
AKACully

Number of posts : 34
Registration date : 2009-03-01

Back to top Go down

Post  MikeCal 1300 Mon Mar 16, 2009 6:36 pm

I took my Michelin tire and rim to the shop today, The guy could not get the tire on the rim. He says he got the first side on but about half way on the other side the tire would not go on the rim.

I see other guys are running the Michelin Hyro Edge tire but in the 16". Could the bead on this tire be too stiff to get on the 15" rim? Or should I try another shop tomorrow?

Or should I just go buy the General Grabber and have it installed?

I really want this tire on my bike and I Really need to ride soon!

Mike
MikeCal 1300
MikeCal 1300

Back to top Go down

Post  MikeCal 1300 Fri Mar 20, 2009 11:10 pm

I've been riding my new Michelin 205/65/15 for three days now. My problem is when I used a car tube the valve stem have to be pulled to the center of the rim on the motorcycle. It seem to put a lot of stress on the stem.
Do you have that problem? I'm thinking of taking my tire off and putting a large 15" motorcycle tube. They have a metal valve stem an it comes out the middle of the rim.

I don't want to trust this tube on a long ride, or am I just being nervous.

Mike
MikeCal 1300
MikeCal 1300

Back to top Go down

Post  smokey2255 Sat Mar 21, 2009 12:44 am

MikeCal 1300 wrote:I've been riding my new Michelin 205/65/15 for three days now. My problem is when I used a car tube the valve stem have to be pulled to the center of the rim on the motorcycle. It seem to put a lot of stress on the stem.
Do you have that problem? I'm thinking of taking my tire off and putting a large 15" motorcycle tube. They have a metal valve stem an it comes out the middle of the rim.

I don't want to trust this tube on a long ride, or am I just being nervous.

Mike

Mike, Do not run a car tube on a MC rim. See your post for more info.

See you out there
Smokey
smokey2255
smokey2255
Admin
Admin

Number of posts : 2451
Registration date : 2007-12-14

Back to top Go down

Post  AKACully Sat Mar 21, 2009 7:28 am

I used the stock 170/180-15 tube without a problem.

Bill"AKACully"
AKACully
AKACully

Back to top Go down

Post  wayne Sat Mar 21, 2009 10:44 am

I have heard about the heat build up with a tube, in a radial tire.
Thats why I wanted to seal my rims and go tubeless.

wayne

Number of posts : 623
Registration date : 2007-12-18

Back to top Go down

Post  MikeCal 1300 Tue Mar 24, 2009 6:58 pm

I took my rim and a new stock tube to the shop. The tube exploded when we put air in it ( 90 psi )

Now I don't want to put a car tube in it and I believe a MC tube is stretched to unsafe limits in this tire.
I can't find anyone in the area to seal my rim. Now what do I do? What would be the best tube to run? or do I send my rim out of town to be sealed.?

Mike
MikeCal 1300
MikeCal 1300

Back to top Go down

Post  wayne Tue Mar 24, 2009 11:33 pm

Seal it your self.
How to. Go to 1300 tech and go down to sealing rims. cost you about $20
If you send them off it will cost you about $60 each, plus shipping both ways, about $100.
Aguy here in OR. sent his in and it didnt work, he was out the $$$ they still leaked.

wayne

Number of posts : 623
Registration date : 2007-12-18

Back to top Go down

Post  AKACully Thu Mar 26, 2009 8:05 am

Despite being successful mounting with a stock tube, next time around I'll seal the rims with 5200. I'm not unhappy at all but will take the next step just to make life easier should I get a flat on the road.
AKACully
AKACully

Back to top Go down

Post  MikeCal 1300 Sat Mar 28, 2009 10:40 am

I decided to go with a smaller tire and try the motorcycle tube again. I bought a Continental Altimax 185/70/15.
I had the tire and tube mounted with little problem.I have only ridden this tire about 60 miles but I really like the way it feels. It rides nice and is smooth around the corners.

I rode on the Michelin 200/65/15 for 300 miles and the ride never felt right.
I think this tire is too stiff and has too square edges so that when you turn you feel the transition from the flat bottom to the sidewall. not a good feeling. That was just my opinion of the tire and I know others are ridding this tire.

Next time I will seal my rim (thanks Wayne) and go tubeless.

Mike
MikeCal 1300
MikeCal 1300

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum