Riding on the Darkside
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Alignment????

+3
wayne
twin1300
twistedrcpilot
7 posters

Go down

Alignment???? Empty Alignment????

Post  twistedrcpilot Mon Jun 30, 2008 11:45 am

First off, I am new to the darkside. I've clocked about 200 miles on it so far. Morgan, Murry and Skippy were very helpful in answering questions.

Anyway, so I'm digging the tire, but.....I think I need an alignment. The bike pulls to the right if she's flat on the tire. I seem to be running on the left side. The stock dunnys and dunnys after that wore on the left side. Everyone said it's the crown in the road. Shanannigans. I was on 45north in con-roe yesterday and where the construction is, it directs you to the oppisite side of the road. Of course the crown is oppsite too. It drove straight as an arrow. I felt like I was on the flat part of the tire, I could let go of the bars and fly straight.

So, I ask you, is there a way to adjust the thing? Could the stock pipes be that heavy to throw off the cg? If I lean to the left a lot, the problem goes away.

I did notice the right fork is slightly longer than the left.

Any insight would be greatly apreciated. The sore thigh thing is getting kinda annoying.

John
2005 Honda VTX NEO Spec2

twistedrcpilot

Number of posts : 23
Registration date : 2008-06-18

Back to top Go down

Alignment???? Empty Re: Alignment????

Post  twin1300 Mon Jun 30, 2008 12:11 pm

Not sure about the N model?????????

I know my 1300C doesn't do that at all. I will go straight with the hands off for miles.

......................bobby

twin1300
twin1300
Admin
Admin

Number of posts : 4689
Registration date : 2007-12-14

Back to top Go down

Post  wayne Mon Jun 30, 2008 1:07 pm

First of all, the crown in the road is BS.
If ou havent. You will sooner or later, change the head bearings to the tappered, put some progressive springs in, make sure you forks are even at the top of the triple trees, and make sure you have the right tire pressure in. Also get ride of the Duncraps.
Mine use to have the left side tire wear, and mine wears normal now. ODOT must have taken the crown in the road out Very Happy
Have riden with several other bikes, my wifes as well, and none of them have the left side tire wear.
Shiming wheels and rims is something that, well lets just say, you better know what you are doing, and you probley really wont do much good.

wayne

Number of posts : 623
Registration date : 2007-12-18

Back to top Go down

Post  jedishon Mon Jun 30, 2008 1:54 pm

The first thing I would do is make the forks the same length. Then I would check to make sure I had the same amount of oil in each one. Being very carefull when taking them apart.
Next I would ignore the feeling of riding on one side. Mine felt like it was always pulling to the right.
I think it was a little, from the rain drainage slope of the road. But because I was looking for things that would feel different, it did. After about 300-400 miles I didn't notice it any more. The tire just
gets better and better.....I must admit that it still feels a little strange the way it grabs and wants to stand up straight, when going around a corner from a stop and hiting 2nd gear.....I'm hooked. I wont
go back.

Jerry
jedishon
jedishon
Super User
Super User

Number of posts : 4436

Back to top Go down

Post  wayne Mon Jun 30, 2008 2:37 pm

I forgot the oil thing. Very Happy
Some of the bikes come low on oil , or different amount in them. WAY TO GO HONDA!!!!

wayne

Number of posts : 623

Back to top Go down

Post  Toasted_311 Mon Jun 30, 2008 10:19 pm

wayne wrote:I forgot the oil thing. Very Happy
Some of the bikes come low on oil , or different amount in them. WAY TO GO HONDA!!!!

Yep, mine was low on one side when I did mine.

I did check the forks...make sure they are even...should be longer/shorter than the other.

And swapping out the front for a new tire wouldn't hurt.
Toasted_311
Toasted_311
Admin
Admin

Number of posts : 1132

https://mcdarksiders.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post  twistedrcpilot Tue Jul 01, 2008 12:24 am

Both tires are new. I've got a avon cobra in the front and a bs potenza in the back. I'll check the oil. I had my wife take a pic as I was riding down a tx hwy with no crown. The bike is clearly leaning to the left. She took several pics over a half hour period. I even rode behind my bro and he was leaning the same way.

Alignment???? L_d70888521007d6df04eee36b4e15955a

twistedrcpilot

Back to top Go down

Post  Toasted_311 Tue Jul 01, 2008 4:42 am

I see your problem..it's the N rear fender....send it and all the supports to me and I'll send you the entire rear C fender...same color and all. That'll solve your nasty problem. Very Happy

Hmmm....could you just be leaning to the left? Dunno, but the forks do need to be the same length so get that fixed and see.

Did your brother ride your bike and it was still leaning left?
Toasted_311
Toasted_311
Admin
Admin

Number of posts : 1132

https://mcdarksiders.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post  KYVTX1300 Tue Jul 01, 2008 8:44 am

Does it do the left lean thing if your feet are off the boards? Can you push on the right board and bring it the other direction? Not suggesting this as a solution, just as more troubleshooting.
KYVTX1300
KYVTX1300

Number of posts : 125
Registration date : 2007-12-16

http://www.wccauto.com/gallery/Motorcycle/index.html

Back to top Go down

Post  twistedrcpilot Tue Jul 01, 2008 2:51 pm

Toasted_311 wrote:I see your problem..it's the N rear fender....send it and all the supports to me and I'll send you the entire rear C fender...same color and all. That'll solve your nasty problem. Very Happy

Hmmm....could you just be leaning to the left? Dunno, but the forks do need to be the same length so get that fixed and see.

Did your brother ride your bike and it was still leaning left?

Oh, okay, send me your address. The fender is in the mail.....

Yea, he rode it and got the same effect. He yelled at me about the tire and said that was the problem. I tried leaning to the left and sitting the bike straight up. That worked. I went to the dealer, after they yelled at me about the tire, they said it's the pipes. Total weight is over 30 lbs in extra metal hanging on that side. They also said the flywheel is on that side which is 43lbs I think.

I still plan on checking the forks though. They were only off by a fraction of an inch, but evey little bit helps. I wonder if I could correct that by shortening one left side. hmmm.....

twistedrcpilot

Back to top Go down

Post  horseman8m Tue Jul 01, 2008 9:36 pm

It's not the pipes or flywheel , the front forks have to be even and adjusted , oil serviced ,check the seals if it is leaking. when the front tire reaches about 30 mph the centrifugal force brings it to it's straight up and down. here try this . go slower then 25 lean the bike so it feels like it is riding straight then speed up to 45 and feel if it pulls to the left. if so then fix the forks and let us know . if you need a manual you can download one here for the 1300 :
http://depositfiles.com/en/files/1761507
It for the c/r/s models
good luck. Horse

Last edited by horseman8m on Wed Jul 02, 2008 9:17 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : added info)
horseman8m
horseman8m

Number of posts : 1449
Registration date : 2008-02-09

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down