Riding on the Darkside
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

CarTire-ectomy

+4
horseman8m
jedishon
gstanfield
Siggy57
8 posters

Go down

CarTire-ectomy Empty CarTire-ectomy

Post  Siggy57 Fri Jun 06, 2008 7:55 pm

Well, It's been about four months that I've been riding with the Arizonian 165R15 and I'm ready to move up to the wideside. So It's off tomorrow to get the General Grabber 205/70 R15 put on. The Arizonian has been a hoot but the roads and distances that I travel every day have me wishing that I had a bigger diameter tire so that the engine doesn't wind out quite so much and the speedo is a bit more accurate. I've enjoyed the 165 during the time that I've had it and I probably have 2K miles on it and it doesn't seem to show a lick of wear. If anyone wants a slightly used 165 and you're in the Austin area you're welcome to it otherwise I think I'll replace the doughnut spare on the wife's car.

Siggy

Siggy57

Number of posts : 18
Registration date : 2008-04-16

Back to top Go down

CarTire-ectomy Empty Re: CarTire-ectomy

Post  gstanfield Fri Jun 06, 2008 8:19 pm

Sweet! You're going to love that General. I sure love mine even more after 1500 miles or so.

Gee, it sure is nice to see people following my lead instead of that ol Lousianna boy Wink

George (originator of the 205/70R15 AKA the "tallside")
gstanfield
gstanfield
Super User
Super User

Number of posts : 583
Registration date : 2007-12-15

Back to top Go down

Post  Siggy57 Fri Jun 06, 2008 9:16 pm

I really like the tread pattern on that tire, should handle well in the twisties. Any clearance issues with the tire when the shocks are compressed?

Siggy

Siggy57

Back to top Go down

Post  gstanfield Fri Jun 06, 2008 9:44 pm

No clearance issues at all. You'll love this tire.

George
gstanfield
gstanfield
Super User
Super User

Back to top Go down

Post  Siggy57 Fri Jun 06, 2008 10:36 pm

I'll update tomorrow with how the new tire rides tomorrow.

Siggy
https://2img.net/h/i282.photobucket.com/albums/kk244/siggy57/DSCN1151.jpghttps://2img.net/h/i282.photobucket.com/albums/kk244/siggy57/DSCN1154.jpg

Siggy57

Back to top Go down

Post  jedishon Sat Jun 07, 2008 6:18 am

that is a huge size difference......Gotta see a pic of it mounted.....

Jerry
jedishon
jedishon
Super User
Super User

Number of posts : 4436
Registration date : 2007-12-18

Back to top Go down

Post  gstanfield Sat Jun 07, 2008 8:59 am

It is much bigger than the little 165, and bigger than the dunlop, but it is almost exactly the same size as a Continental 170/80R15 motorcycle tire.

Here is a pic of the Continental and grabber both mounted and suspended through the axle hole for a true size comparison.

CarTire-ectomy Vtx_wi10
gstanfield
gstanfield
Super User
Super User

Back to top Go down

Post  horseman8m Sat Jun 07, 2008 12:40 pm

before i went with the tire i have now , i orderd a grabber in 205 70 15 and i wated for a week and still didn't show up so when i called the supplyer he traced it to miami Fl . so i canseled that and went with the nexen cp641 both are directional and i do like the ride better then the stock dunny.
horseman8m
horseman8m

Number of posts : 1449
Registration date : 2008-02-09

Back to top Go down

Post  Siggy57 Sat Jun 07, 2008 1:53 pm

I got the Grabber on today and luv it, luv it. Had a little difficulty in getting it on the rim but after that it was smooth sailing. Seems the 165 has a little bigger ID than the Grabber. Lots of lube and cursing and we finally got it on the rim. Aired it up and it seated with a couple of satisfying pops. I have about 40 lbs in it and I can feel each engine pulse during acceleration. I think I'll drop it down to 35 for a little smoother ride. No problem leaning into turns, in fact I feel that it dives into corners with more sure footing that the 165. Check out the pics. I'll try to figure out how to embed pictures.

CarTire-ectomy DSCN1157
CarTire-ectomy DSCN1158

Siggy57

Back to top Go down

Post  gstanfield Sat Jun 07, 2008 6:03 pm

The taller rear tire will in fact make the bike turn in a tad faster, at least from the standpoint of sterring geometry. By raising the rear it kinda creates more less rake (think sport bike vs cruiser here) The smaller rear creates more effective rake and creates a slower turn in. Of course this is also due to how the height changes the C.G. and other factors, but I can actually tell a difference in turn in with my shocks on max preload versus all the way soft.

Anyone who has set up a bike for road racing knows this stuff, and there's a lot more involved than just my simple explanation, but I thought I would keep it sweet and simple Smile

George
gstanfield
gstanfield
Super User
Super User

Back to top Go down

Post  dino Sat Jun 07, 2008 9:33 pm

how is this tire going to fit R ???

I do like the tire but am curious about fitting in R fender.

Does anyone ride with this tire on R??
dino
dino

Number of posts : 148
Registration date : 2008-01-05

http://www.boncphoto.com

Back to top Go down

Post  papa Sat Jun 28, 2008 3:00 pm

That General Grabber looks great! Matter of fact, it caused me to change my original idea of a 195/65 potenza, and get that one instead. I know others have had problems with bead setting with a tube, but I am still goina try. And if I fafafafail, I guess I will seal it. Thanks for the pics.

papa

Number of posts : 85
Registration date : 2008-06-27

Back to top Go down

Post  Rooster Jr. Sat Jun 28, 2008 6:20 pm

that is one great looking tire. I was wondering if your gas mileage has changed with this tire since it weighs more?
Rooster Jr.
Rooster Jr.

Number of posts : 8
Registration date : 2008-06-26

Back to top Go down

Post  gstanfield Sat Jun 28, 2008 8:05 pm

I currently have almost 5000 miles on my grabber and the milage has maybe went down a tad, but I am jetted too rich right now so my milage sucks anyway. Before I was getting about 45mpg and now I am getting around 41mpg. When I get around to leaning it out a bit the milage should be back around 48mpg or so which is fine by me.

I can say that running with the speedo at an idicated 110-115mph for an hour will result in about 23mpg if you're heading into a 25mph headwind. I hit reserve in 99.9 miles once, which took an hour and two minutes Smile

George
gstanfield
gstanfield
Super User
Super User

Back to top Go down

Post  Rooster Jr. Sat Jun 28, 2008 8:42 pm

ok here is another question, I was just trying to take off my tire and I was looking at the clearance I have between my tire and my stebel air horn. With the grabber being a taller tire am I going to have clearance issues. The stebel is a good 1/2" or more away from my tire now. I'm gonna have to buy a new 27 mm wrench and socket looks like too.
Rooster Jr.
Rooster Jr.

Number of posts : 8
Registration date : 2008-06-26

Back to top Go down

Post  RedneckRoyalty Sun Jun 29, 2008 3:44 pm

That "drop" in fuel economy is probably due to the fact that w/the bigger tire, you corrected the speedometer and the odometer.

When you had the smaller tire, your speedo read about 6% too high, and your trip odometer said that you went 6% further than you actually did.

If your speedometer is now accurate, a "drop" of 4-5 miles per gallon means that you are probably getting the same gas mileage that you did before the tire change...

RedneckRoyalty

Number of posts : 4
Registration date : 2008-06-19

Back to top Go down

Post  gstanfield Sun Jun 29, 2008 5:03 pm

lly off by 7% with the Continental (10% with the dunflop) and still the same 7% off with the grabber. That and I ride the same route so many times I have kinda figured out exactly where to fill up and now I am switching to reserve about 10-15 miles out of town when before I always made it to town and then hit reserve the next morning on my way to class.

Now, had I went straight from the dunflop to the grabber I would have shown a severe decrease in milage, but I always check speedo and odo with my GPS any time I change brand and/or size of tire.

Good thought though, but I had that base covered already Smile

George

P.S. As to your stebel horn, I have no idea whatsoever. MY bike don't even have a horn on it, it dissapeared the same time the turn signals mysteriously vanished Smile
gstanfield
gstanfield
Super User
Super User

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum: