Riding on the Darkside
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Tear off those ancient weights on your wheels and use zinc coated bbs!

+2
smokey2255
Gitchemo
6 posters

Go down

Tear off those ancient weights on your wheels and use zinc coated bbs! Empty Tear off those ancient weights on your wheels and use zinc coated bbs!

Post  Gitchemo Mon Jun 02, 2008 7:14 pm

Throw those old balancing weights away! Use zinc coated bbs instead!

Twin1300 wanted to know what I did to achieve such a superior ride! I am sharing my response to his questions with the rest of you guys.

Get those zinc coated ones came from walmart. I simply followed the directions that Dynabeads used with tires. I tore off the one ounce weight on the front, broke the tire bead, weighed up one ounce of zinc bbs to match that old weight and poured them in the tire! I put two ounces in the rear tire and the ride is absolutely incomparable! I am religious, but OH DAMN, THE RIDE IS ABSOLUTELY SMOOTH! I CAN SEE THE REAR VIEW MIRROR IMAGES ALMOST PERFECTLY. I bought a floating compass and put it on my windshield. Before I put the ZINC COATED BBS in It spun like a top in its little container full of liquid. It now actually works with the counterweights that I poured into the tires! THE COMPASS WORKS WITH THE ZINC COATED BBS!

Any of you fellas who were willing to put car tires on your bikes can certainly pull those darned old weights off. Throw them away; they are old technology! Just make sure you match the weights that you are getting rid of with the ZINC COATED BBS.

I was worried that rust could be a factor and clump up the bbs, so I took the zinc coated bbs and poured them into a glass of water for a couple of days to see if they would rust. They do not, so I used them instead of Dynabeads.

If you don't have a machine that weighs ounces and fractions of ounces, go and find one to measure those zinc coated bbs.

I am on my way to Acapulco Mexico and it is going to be a better ride because of the zinc bbs.

Rich

Last edited by Gitchemo on Mon Jun 02, 2008 7:19 pm; edited 3 times in total (Reason for editing : mispelling)
Gitchemo
Gitchemo

Number of posts : 32
Registration date : 2008-05-31

Back to top Go down

Tear off those ancient weights on your wheels and use zinc coated bbs! Empty Re: Tear off those ancient weights on your wheels and use zinc coated bbs!

Post  smokey2255 Mon Jun 02, 2008 7:54 pm

I am trying to figure out if Gitchemo has stock in zinc or Daisy bbs Laughing Laughing Laughing

Great tip Rich

Thanks for sharing

See you out there
Smokey
smokey2255
smokey2255
Admin
Admin

Number of posts : 2451
Registration date : 2007-12-14

Back to top Go down

Tear off those ancient weights on your wheels and use zinc coated bbs! Empty Stock?

Post  Gitchemo Mon Jun 02, 2008 9:51 pm

Funny, the only reason I colored Zinc bbs was to get people to use the zinc ones instead of the normal bbs. Those other ones rust and clump up inside the tire.

Where are you from?
Rich
Gitchemo
Gitchemo

Number of posts : 32
Registration date : 2008-05-31

Back to top Go down

Tear off those ancient weights on your wheels and use zinc coated bbs! Empty Re: Tear off those ancient weights on your wheels and use zinc coated bbs!

Post  smokey2255 Tue Jun 03, 2008 12:30 am

Gitchemo wrote:

Where are you from?
Rich

Central Illinois, I am about 30 miles west of Terre Haute Indiana and 70 miles south of Champaign Illinois.

See you out there
Smokey
smokey2255
smokey2255
Admin
Admin

Number of posts : 2451
Registration date : 2007-12-14

Back to top Go down

Post  grizak Tue Jun 03, 2008 4:16 pm

I would be afraid the zinc coating would wear off. then you would have a bad rust problem and would not know it until next tire change. Smile
I have heard of people using Air Soft BB's with good results. Very Happy
grizak
grizak

Number of posts : 173
Registration date : 2007-12-16

Back to top Go down

Post  Doc Sat Jun 28, 2008 5:37 pm

I bought Dynabeads for my VTX, Applicator and 3oz of beads for about $11. No worries about rust or clumping, Anyway the idea of beads or BB's works very well. Smoothed out a bad vibration I had from 40mph on up. Now it is as smooth as glass all the way to as fast as I want to go. Twisted Evil Evil or Very Mad Twisted Evil
Doc
Doc
Admin
Admin

Number of posts : 1069
Registration date : 2008-04-21

Back to top Go down

Tear off those ancient weights on your wheels and use zinc coated bbs! Empty Dynabeads and Tubleless Wire Wheels

Post  DrAlloway Mon Jul 07, 2008 2:48 pm

I have a vs1400 Intruder with wire/spoked wheels.

So before I went DS I ordered Dynabeads.
Then I decided to do the Silicone tubeless conversion.

So I now have a Radial rear DS tire without a tube on my spoke wheels.

Then it dawned on this slow old brain, that the Silicone remains sticky forever (or at least we hope it remains flexible forever). Therefore, I think, the Dynabeads will stick to the Silicone and not be properly distrubuted around the wheel. So I did not install the Dynabeads.

1. Am I right that Dynabeads will not work in this case ??
2. Will Air-Soft bbs work ?? or also stick ??
3. I think the zinc or stainless bbs would work, right ??

I guess I have 8 oz of Dynabeads I will sell cheap (I bought extra for 2 bikes, 4 wheels).
DrAlloway
DrAlloway

Number of posts : 7
Registration date : 2008-07-06

Back to top Go down

Post  Mac_Muz Mon Jul 07, 2008 7:55 pm

Well the zinc will for sure wear off, but there will be no rust, since the action will tumble the bb 's . I am running Dyna beads, so I see the point, but Dyna Beads can be installed thru the valve stem, and for 2 bucks per ounce I can't beat it except with BB's. I am not about to drop a wheel to break the bead for this..

Mac_Muz

Number of posts : 13

Back to top Go down

Post  Mac_Muz Mon Jul 07, 2008 7:59 pm

DrAlloway , I read your post... You can't use beads at all. No kind... They will just embbed in the coating... Sorry but it is wheel weights for you... mac

Mac_Muz

Number of posts : 13

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum