Riding on the Darkside
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

What Do I do?

+3
KYVTX1300
twin1300
silverman1900
7 posters

Go down

What Do I do? Empty What Do I do?

Post  silverman1900 Wed May 07, 2008 7:40 am

OK guys I finally pulled the trigger. I have been wanting to do this since I became aware of the darkside so I went out and bought the Douglas M + S 205 65 R15 xtra trac AW Radial PLY from wal mart $60.00.
I took the bike to a small shop but he could not seal the tire. He said he did not want blow up the tire he said he put up to 80 PSI but no go. I have the 1300 S. What is the procedure for the tire to seal on a spoke rim with a tube I aslo tried this with the help of a few car mechanics who have lots of experience with tires we tried the vegetable oil, soap, and WD 40, but it just would not seal.
What I'm I doing wrong beside not putting more air to try to make it seal? Any help woud be appreciated from those who know confused

silverman1900

Number of posts : 5
Registration date : 2008-05-07

Back to top Go down

What Do I do? Empty Re: What Do I do?

Post  twin1300 Wed May 07, 2008 8:17 am

It is a very big dance to get these on sometimes. (This is a very dangerous procedure if you do it without some safety precautions).

1. Wash you rim with a rag and a water hose. Get all the old soap from previous mountings off the rim. And when you lather the rim with cooking oil (or what ever you use)....Put it up the sides of the tire almost to the lettering. JUST DON'T DO THE BEAD! I used my hands and got it every where and not just the once swipe with a soap brush like most tire guys do.

2. Some guys put there tires in the sun first and then air it up and leave it in the sun and come back later to find them beaded.

3. The other is to get a "lock on air chuck" and move the tire to a safe place away from everything and everyone. REMOVE THE VALVE CORE...THIS IS IMPORTANT!!!!! Install the locking air chuck on the stem WITHOUT THE AIR LINE HOOKED TO THE COMPRESSOR YET. Then go back to the compressor and plug you air line in and STAY THERE TO BE ABLE TO IMMEDIATELY UNPLUG THE AIR LINE WHEN TIRE IS SEATED......and hit the tire with the direct air un-regulated, till the tire seat the bead and IMMEDIATELY UNPLUG THE AIR HOSE FROM THE COMPRESSOR AND NOT THE TIRE! Wait till the air has released before removing the "locking air chuck".

**** YOU DO THIS MOD AT YOUR OWN RISK****** SO BE CAREFUL!

.....................bobby

Last edited by twin1300 on Wed May 07, 2008 10:25 am; edited 1 time in total
twin1300
twin1300
Admin
Admin

Number of posts : 4689
Registration date : 2007-12-14

Back to top Go down

What Do I do? Empty Thank you

Post  silverman1900 Wed May 07, 2008 9:21 am

I was afraid that was going to be the the next step. We contemplated on a similar procedure while trying to make it work. I will give it some thought. Guess I'm to chicken or cheap to just blow a tire LOL. But I want to thank you for responding TWIN I want say that this is a great site with some great information. The other option I'm considering is that I can still use the tire as a spare for
my second car and just get a another MCT until I decide to try again, mabe with a different rim.

silverman1900

Back to top Go down

Post  KYVTX1300 Wed May 07, 2008 10:19 am

I don't think anyone has gotten a spoked rim to work with the 205, yet. We have several people that sealed the spoke holes with marine epoxy and used a 165 tire on the rim.
KYVTX1300
KYVTX1300

Number of posts : 125
Registration date : 2007-12-16

http://www.wccauto.com/gallery/Motorcycle/index.html

Back to top Go down

Post  twin1300 Wed May 07, 2008 10:23 am

Hey Silver,

Mine seated @ about 100 psi but I have a mag rim!!!!!!!!!!! I know it sounds like a lot of air. But I have never had one seat below a 95 psi to 110 psi! Just the nature of what we will go thru to get a great tire.

You need to try being the first cat to ever do a car tire one on a 1300 before any one else. When the tire did seat, it popped so loud I jump out of my skin!

Good luck with your decision and DON'T DO ANYTHING YOU ARE NOT COMFORTABLE WITH!

...............bobby

twin1300
twin1300
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Badmoon Wed May 07, 2008 11:18 am

Twin
Thanks for the info. I too am fixin to make the jump and had the same questions. Your input on this board sure has made things easier and I appreciate your safety comments. More times than not this aspect is left out. Prolly not on purpose, but left out just the same.

Thanks for your “Public Service Announcement”

Peace Yall
Badmoon
Badmoon

Number of posts : 1699
Location : Swanpland (Gods Country) It is my horns that hold up my halo.
Registration date : 2007-12-20

Back to top Go down

Post  KYVTX1300 Wed May 07, 2008 12:05 pm

>>on a spoke rim with a tube

Guys, has this been done with a 205? We keep talking about mag rims, but I think the original question was about spoke and tube. If it can be done, I bet the tube needs to be bigger. (just a guess) Be safe with whatever you decide to try.
KYVTX1300
KYVTX1300

Back to top Go down

Post  KYVTX1300 Wed May 07, 2008 12:20 pm

I might have to try this myself, on my Spoked Rim for my 1300S, but the youtube and surfing on ye-ol-goole makes it seem that we have a better chance of seating the wheel if we put a strap around the middle of the tread and get it pretty tight and then follow all of Twin's suggestions as well. It looks like the idea is to put the force in the middle of the tire so the bead can seat easier with less pressure. Kinda get the angle right for the bead to seat without using so much air. This might help with the tube as well. I am crazy enough to try it, from a safe distance, and behind something big, and wearing leathers and a full face helmet. (-8 affraid
KYVTX1300
KYVTX1300

Back to top Go down

What Do I do? Empty 1300 S

Post  silverman1900 Wed May 07, 2008 4:31 pm

Well I decided to shelf this project for now I have a small trip in a week. And I just want to be able to ride since the weather is being more cooperative around here. So I will place another MC/tire on,But I will be very curios if someone else is able to do this. I will try this another time. Thanks for everyones input here.

silverman1900

Back to top Go down

Post  wayne Wed May 07, 2008 7:02 pm

KYVTX1300 wrote:I don't think anyone has gotten a spoked rim to work with the 205, yet. We have several people that sealed the spoke holes with marine epoxy and used a 165 tire on the rim.

OK, this just sounds like a challange to me. Very Happy
I just sealed a spoke rim.
What kind of a tire would you guys like me to put on it?
Notice I didnt say try to put on it? Very Happy

wayne

Number of posts : 623
Registration date : 2007-12-18

Back to top Go down

Post  wayne Wed May 07, 2008 8:22 pm

May try the Zeno on a spoke rim.
What do you guys think?
give me some feed back.
Or if someone has a tire, that they couldnt maount, send it to me and I will mount it, just let me know how much you want for it. As long as the bead isnt damaged.

wayne

Back to top Go down

Post  Sameym Thu May 08, 2008 5:48 am

I did this with a spoke rim ,3m 5200 and a Falken. After a few 150 lb tries,a couple dealers and still no pop I decided to put it on a C rim. Two different tire changers later the tire bead had big chunks out showing the steal cable and a bent spoke rim. There wasn't enough room to get the tire off with the 5200 on. After he scraped some of it off the tire came off easy. That was the same rim I had trouble mounting my 165. Think I'll just put tube and m/c tire back on rim and put in glass case with a small hammer on the side.

_____________________ Sameym

Going out looking for a 205 today. After all I never give up.

Sameym

Number of posts : 26
Registration date : 2008-02-01

Back to top Go down

Post  twin1300 Thu May 08, 2008 7:21 am

wayne wrote:May try the Zeno on a spoke rim.
What do you guys think?
give me some feed back.
Or if someone has a tire, that they couldnt maount, send it to me and I will mount it, just let me know how much you want for it. As long as the bead isnt damaged.

Zeno is my vote!

......................bobby

twin1300
twin1300
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  wayne Thu May 08, 2008 7:35 am

Were do I find the Zeno???
I looked on tire easy, but didnt see them. Ill keep looking.

wayne

Back to top Go down

Post  wayne Thu May 08, 2008 7:46 am

Yep, I looked again and still dont see one.

Zeno Pluss, anyone know where I can get one?

I need one for this little challange.

wayne

Back to top Go down

What Do I do? Empty I think it can be done

Post  silverman1900 Thu May 08, 2008 8:10 am

Pesonally I think it can be done just need to find the righ tire that would acommodate the rim.

Let me get your thoughrs on this, with the 205 and spoke rim combination when your infating the tire with so much air to make it seal the bead aren't we also expanding the tire so much that it would challenge the structure design of a RADIAL by stretch out the wiring.

silverman1900

Back to top Go down

Post  wayne Thu May 08, 2008 8:20 am

I would think that 100 to110 lbs. wouldnt hurt, but going over that, like 150 is to much. Maybe those guys that go over that didnt have the rim clean or something, Im really not a tire expert.
I would think that the steal around the tire is very strong and not going to give with even pressure on it, I think the rubber will blow before the steel .
Like I said Im no tire expert.
But I do know who to ask, and when I see him I will ask him about it.

wayne

Back to top Go down

Post  grizak Thu May 08, 2008 3:11 pm

After My battle with this problem. I feel It can't be done using the stock tube. maybe a larger tube may work. but tubes do not push againsed the bead. you have a round tube in a round tire. there are no corners to push the bead. when you are tubeless the air is tring to force out around the bead. so it kinda pops the lip of the tire into place. Just my 2 cents worth. However I would love to be proven wrong. Keep us posted...
grizak
grizak

Number of posts : 173

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum