Riding on the Darkside
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Trailer hitch idea needed

+2
ttexastim
gstanfield
6 posters

Go down

Trailer hitch idea needed Empty Trailer hitch idea needed

Post  gstanfield Fri May 02, 2008 8:14 pm

Anyone have an idea for a cheap home built trailer hitch for a 1300C?? I've seen the inside the fender deal for the R models, but not too sure if I'll have the extra room with the 205?

The deal is, I am building a pull behind BBQ grill for using with our CMA events so that I can pull a grill big enough to cook for 50 people or so behind my bike Smile It will of course be painted to match the bike and really sweet, but I still need to devise a way to make a hitch that will be safe pulling 250-300lbs.

So, short of spending a ton of money on a hitch that goes outside my fenders and looks tacky (IMHO) what options have already been researched?

If I have to be the trend setter I will.

George
gstanfield
gstanfield
Super User
Super User

Number of posts : 583
Registration date : 2007-12-15

Back to top Go down

Trailer hitch idea needed Empty Re: Trailer hitch idea needed

Post  ttexastim Fri May 02, 2008 9:14 pm

A friend of mine built his own. His design basically made a quarter inch thick metal that went through the 2 bolts on the rail that holds the fender on, and then went at an angle down to where the hitch was. He fabricated it himself (cut the metal out of plate and welded it all up)(this was on the outside of the fender, so he painted it black so it didn't look bad).

That's what he did. Just an idea for you. I'm not sure how much that idea would carry, but doing it that way puts all the weight on your rear shocks. Might not be what you want to do. The other way I can think of would be to somehow attach it to the rear axyl but I'm not sure how you would get enough support to keep that idea from drooping down with a load.

Good luck, and be sure to post what you try. Smile
ttexastim
ttexastim

Number of posts : 593
Registration date : 2007-12-27

Back to top Go down

Post  gstanfield Fri May 02, 2008 9:40 pm

Thanks, I'll probably remake the inner fender support to inclued my hitch and all so it is mostly hidden, but still just looking for ideas at this point. I really don't have to have it finished until June 8th Smile so I have a month before I even have to start on it Wink

I was thinking of a quick release hitch design that would clamp to the swingarms on each side, but still wondering if I should go that route. I have built a swingarm hitch before, but it was for a much differnt bike.

as to posting it, I will for sure. I need to fire up the camera and take pictures of my newest paint job as I think it is a keeper.

George
gstanfield
gstanfield
Super User
Super User

Back to top Go down

Post  smokey2255 Fri May 02, 2008 9:51 pm

I made my saddle bag mounts extra heavy so I can add a hitch to it. Don't think I want to give up the room in the fender.

You know your paint is only a keeper until next winter, or until you think of sometghing else you want to try. Laughing

See you out there
Smokey
smokey2255
smokey2255
Admin
Admin

Number of posts : 2451
Registration date : 2007-12-14

Back to top Go down

Post  gstanfield Fri May 02, 2008 9:53 pm

You're right about the paint, and I have thought of doing a saddlebag mount with a hitch in it too, but can't decide to keep my hard bags or to get rid of them. Maybe I shoudl keep them and only use them with the hitch, it would give me extra room for ketchup, or turn the bags into twin ice chests Smile

George
gstanfield
gstanfield
Super User
Super User

Back to top Go down

Post  Steve-O Fri May 02, 2008 10:55 pm

Do you have any latitude in the trailer? I'd make it so that it did not transfer much weight to the bike. Mke it 4 wheel if you can. They you are pulling weight, but not supporting a bunch.
Steve-O
Steve-O
Moderate user
Moderate user

Number of posts : 1153
Registration date : 2008-02-05

Back to top Go down

Post  gstanfield Sat May 03, 2008 7:50 am

My tonque weight will be only 20-30lbs the way I have it figured out. The frame is done, just have to make the grill and storage portions. I'm hoping to come in at around 200lbs total weight with a 20lb tonque weight, but I'm also realistic enough to know that I always overbuild things Smile

Four wheeled trailer?? I like the idea based on weight bias, but not sure I want something that is going to be harder to turn for me. unless I made it wagon style with a turning front end, but then the extra complexity would just add more weight. It's an idea for the future though, maybe one day I'll see if I can make a good 4 wheeled steerable trailer with brakes Smile

George
gstanfield
gstanfield
Super User
Super User

Back to top Go down

Post  Mikesvtx Thu May 08, 2008 8:48 pm

I built my own hidden hitch for the 1800R, to clear a CT there's a lot of cutting to the inner fender brace that must be done. I think I have modified mine someting like 8 times. It seems that every time I switch tire brands they rub. There's not a whole lot of room to work with under the fender of an R model. The C model should be easier, since you dont have to worry about clearance at the back of the fender.
I would build the main part of the hitch where it would be hidden under the fender. I then would build the extension so that it pinned or bolted on to get the correct drop. Here's a link to my pictures and in it you find a few of my inner fender rail that has been cut down. The last time I had the rail out I welded the rail to the hitch.

http://bigbikeriders.com/photopost/showgallery.php/cat/3806/page/2

BTW/ The tongue weight shouldn't be to bad I run 40#-50# on mine all the time.Here's another view as well.
http://www.stumpwerx.com/ftopict-606.html
Mikesvtx
Mikesvtx

Number of posts : 13
Registration date : 2008-03-04

Back to top Go down

Post  twin1300 Fri May 09, 2008 7:23 am

Awesome job Mike.....that's looks good with the trailer.

.........................bobby

twin1300
twin1300
Admin
Admin

Number of posts : 4689
Registration date : 2007-12-14

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down