Riding on the Darkside
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Car tire size

3 posters

Go down

Car tire size Empty Car tire size

Post  Warlock Sat Dec 15, 2007 11:19 am

I kept wondering if anyone ever posted a picture of the 205/70/15. I'm thinking about trying a 185/65/15 on mine. I know it's a little shorter, but I'm planning on installing a speedo haeler on mine. I'm also running a 1800 final drive.
David

Warlock

Number of posts : 35
Registration date : 2007-12-15

Back to top Go down

Car tire size Empty Re: Car tire size

Post  twin1300 Sat Dec 15, 2007 11:48 am

Hey David,

Listen, we have had guys who run a 185 but they are about 1 1/4" diameter outside measurement smaller than a stock motorcycle tire. The do handle a little different, but nothing bad. The 165 is the best so far and closer to the actual diameter than anything and handles just like a motorcycle tire and has the same characteristics, just better. (Wayne is really the guru of the 185) Maybe he will come on and give you some better data.

We have heard rumors on the 205 will fit the stock 1300 rim on the VTX. We have heads up on the guy of a 205 that fits the stock 1300 rim but no pics as of yet.

You do own a 1300 correct????

...................bobby

twin1300
twin1300
Admin
Admin

Number of posts : 4689
Registration date : 2007-12-14

Back to top Go down

Post  Warlock Sat Dec 15, 2007 2:22 pm

Got two bikes. Got a 99 Valkyrie Tourer with a Cooper Zeon 205/55/16 car tire on the back. Also have a 06 1300 C model set up solo. That's my play bike. Just don't get the milage out of the M/C tires. Plus traction and wet roads the car tire is way better.
David

Warlock

Back to top Go down

Post  twin1300 Sat Dec 15, 2007 4:16 pm

David,

I got a friend of mine that's going to go to the darkside on his Valkyrie Interstater soon....He's tired of the motorcycle tire slipping too. I got a 1300 C and with the car tire it handles great.

So here's why the car tire is so much better than a motorcycle tire when it comes to traction, if you don't already know. I own a durometer(very accuate too used by NASCAR and others) for measuring rubber and me and my son race karts and we use it to test the softness or hardness of our tires when we are tuning or prepping our tires.

The car tire I have is at least 20 points softer than any motorcycle tire I tested. Smokey and a friend we have named Muntz were at the house for a tech nite and I showed them the durometer and how the car tire was so much softer compared to their tires. Then we went on a midnite ride after all the tech work was done and lets say we kinda stretched their legs even thru some twisties and now Smokey is one of our biggest supports of the Darkside now.

The other reason why we grip so good is we have more contact patch on the highway at all times combined with the soft rubber gives superior grip over the hard rubber on the motorcycle tire especially in wet conditions. That's really what convinced me I had done the right thing when my rear tire didn't slip any more when I was riding in the rain.

It a myth that motorcycle tires have softer rubber that's why they wear out so soon... The reason why they wear out so quick is the small contact patch has to carry all the load.

....................bobby

twin1300
twin1300
Admin
Admin

Number of posts : 4689
Registration date : 2007-12-14

Back to top Go down

Post  Tanglefoot Sat Dec 15, 2007 5:49 pm

Warlock wrote:Got two bikes. Got a 99 Valkyrie Tourer with a Cooper Zeon 205/55/16 car tire on the back. Also have a 06 1300 C model set up solo. That's my play bike. Just don't get the milage out of the M/C tires. Plus traction and wet roads the car tire is way better.
David

Hey Dave, I'm the guy twin mentioned with an 03 Valkyrie Interstate. How do you like the Cooper Zeon? I have been thinking about the darkside for a while. I have seen twin do a lot of burn outs with his 1300 and it hasn't affected his tread yet.

Tanglefoot
Tanglefoot
Super User
Super User

Number of posts : 259

Back to top Go down

Post  Warlock Sun Dec 16, 2007 4:29 pm

Hey Dave, I'm the guy twin mentioned with an 03 Valkyrie Interstate. How do you like the Cooper Zeon? I have been thinking about the darkside for a while. I have seen twin do a lot of burn outs with his 1300 and it hasn't affected his tread yet.

.[/quote]
It does well. Of course it takes getting use to. My next car tire will be the Toyo T1R. I think that's the model. I'll make sure and post later. Several on the VRCC runs this tire and says it's better than the Cooper. Has a little more rounded edges. It's a nice looking tire also. With my Cooper I can scrap pegs with no problem and my wife says it rides better than the M/C tire. You'll get a lot of miles out of the car tire. It will let you know it's back there on uneven ground while running slow. But the plus factor out weighs negitive ones. Has great stopping power in wet weather . If you know anyone near you that is running a car tire they may let you take a ride and see how you like it. Don't know if you are a member of the VRCC but they have a lot of info there for Valkyrie riders. I'm the Mississippi rep for the VRCC.
David

Warlock

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down