Riding on the Darkside
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Insurance Claims

5 posters

Go down

Insurance Claims Empty Insurance Claims

Post  EasternSP Wed Nov 16, 2016 8:13 pm

I'm running a 2016 Road Glide Ultra with a 185/60/16 Goodyear Assurance CT.
I keep hearing from other riders that if I have an accident while I have a CT on my bike, my insurance won't pay the claim, whether the accident was due to the CT or not.
Anybody know for sure if this is true?

EasternSP

Number of posts : 1
Registration date : 2016-11-16

Back to top Go down

Insurance Claims Empty Re: Insurance Claims

Post  rrounds Thu Nov 17, 2016 11:52 am

Thats one thing I don't worry about.
In my 46 years of riding I've never heard of a claim being denied because of a tire. Never read about one either and you can be assured you would have if it ever happened.

ROD

rrounds

Number of posts : 256
Registration date : 2008-06-06

Back to top Go down

Post  Doc Sat Nov 19, 2016 10:56 pm

Only in Canada...
Doc
Doc
Admin
Admin

Number of posts : 1069
Registration date : 2008-04-21

Back to top Go down

Post  Tynker Sat Jun 24, 2017 5:58 pm

The only requirement for tires is that they must be DOT approved tire. All car tires and motorcycle tires meet that requirement.

Tynker

Number of posts : 27
Registration date : 2013-08-16

Back to top Go down

Post  bandito_two Sat Jun 30, 2018 10:58 pm

Tynker wrote:The only requirement for tires is that they must be DOT approved tire. All car tires and motorcycle tires meet that requirement.
That is; tires sold in the US intended for use on vehicles using public roads. Not all tires sold in the US are D.O.T. approved. Many if not most or all tires
intended for off road use or racing are not. Some tires manufactured in other countries are not since they were not intended to be exported to the US.
If some do get imported to the US without D.O.T. approval & marking, they are not allowed to be used on vehicles on public roads. Lots of tires are imported
to the US from other countries, but they are D.O.T. marked and have met D.O.T. requirements.

I've not heard of any claims denied either. From a message I posted here on this forum - For Maxi-Scooters The Darkside (according to bandito2):

=============================================================================================================

LAWS, LIABILITY & INSURANCE ISSUES:
Some may worry about the potential for litigation or denial of insurance coverage in the
event of an accident/incident involving a bike while using a car tire. (I've never heard of
any instances of that happening, but there is a remote possibility that it has.) And I have
not found DMV law (in Michigan anyway) that precludes a motorcycle/scooter from using a car
tire or that requires only MC/scooter tires to be used; except that the tires used MUST be
D.O.T. approved for use on public highways. No other distinction is made. But one should
check the laws where their bike is licensed to be sure of requirements/limitations, etc.
because in some places like England (possibly the whole of Great Britain) the practice of
using a car tire on a bike is banned/prohibited.

I sent inquiries to several insurance companies and got mixed results in their responses.
From all the responses I did get, AAA of Michigan was the only insurance company to state
outright that they would not honor a claim if the bike had a car tire on it at the time of
an incident/accident. Others have had different answers from companies that they had asked
about using a car tire on their bike. Many of the responses cited it would depend on
circumstances of individual cases and claims. (rather non-committal in my view)
Here is a link to post on BurgmanUSA site regarding insurance and the use of a car tire on a
motorcycle/scooter

http://burgmanusa.com/forums/15-burgman-650/36385-darkside-issues-10.html#post359901
=============================================================================================================
bandito_two
bandito_two

Number of posts : 45
Registration date : 2008-07-11

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum