Riding on the Darkside
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

rear end clunking sound when leaning to the left?

3 posters

Go down

rear end clunking sound when leaning to the left? Empty rear end clunking sound when leaning to the left?

Post  JohnVD Sun Aug 18, 2013 4:38 pm

Has anyone had any issue with a GL1800 clunking sound coming from the rear end when leaning to the left?  At first I thought it was the tire rubbing but I think the tire is rotating faster than the clunking sound, could be wrong.  Seems to be intermittent as well.  I can ride for days and not have it occur, and then it will do so for an entire ride, and be gone when I get back on it the next time.  Never makes the sound leaning to the right, only the left.  It seems to be coming from the rear end somewhere but I can't be absolutely sure at this point.  I'm riding on a Michelin 196/55 R16 and it shows no signs of rubbing on either side of the tire.  I know the clearance is tight and I'm running with the air system at max.  The intermittent part is driving me crazy and how in the #### do you troubleshoot something like this when it needs to be turning AND leaning????

Any words of wisdom are appreciated.

JohnVD

Number of posts : 2
Registration date : 2013-08-18

Back to top Go down

rear end clunking sound when leaning to the left? Empty Re: rear end clunking sound when leaning to the left?

Post  quadancer Tue Aug 20, 2013 7:59 am

Maybe get a pard to ride along close up and listen/watch? If you had a motion camera, might tape it in positions looking at the rear wheel.
quadancer
quadancer

Number of posts : 1245
Registration date : 2010-05-02

Back to top Go down

rear end clunking sound when leaning to the left? Empty Re: rear end clunking sound when leaning to the left?

Post  Doc Tue Aug 20, 2013 9:43 am

Does it happen under power, steady speed, or when decelerating? I'm thinking something in the final drive.
Doc
Doc
Admin
Admin

Number of posts : 1069
Registration date : 2008-04-21

Back to top Go down

Post  JohnVD Tue Aug 20, 2013 8:09 pm

When it's acting up I can hear it while coasting in a turn, clutch handle pulled in. As I said before, the clunking sound may or may not be keeping pace with the tire rotation. It does increase and decrease with speed so it may be the tiring but I don't believe so. I also seem to recall that the harder the lean the louder the sound. My wife would probably kill me if I damaged the camcorder trying to video tape the rear tire... I can't figure how it comes and goes without me changing anything on the bike. Either the #### tire is rubbing or it isn't, it shouldn't be a sometimes thing. Especially when it can come and go on the same day.

JohnVD

Number of posts : 2
Registration date : 2013-08-18

Back to top Go down

Post  quadancer Wed Aug 21, 2013 8:13 am

Mine rubs if I wiggle the handlebars or hit a whoop in a sweeper when I'm heeled way over, but you can't tell it on the tire itself. The fender shows it on the inside though.
quadancer
quadancer

Number of posts : 1245
Registration date : 2010-05-02

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down