Riding on the Darkside
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Need a new brand section. VICTORY

+6
twin1300
quadancer
grampahawg
smokey2255
nodakbassmaster
atvtinker
10 posters

Go down

Need a new brand section. VICTORY Empty Need a new brand section. VICTORY

Post  atvtinker Mon Jan 17, 2011 8:13 pm

Going Darkside on my Victory Vision. Found a nail in my Dunlop so bit the bullet and bought a Bridgestone Potenza 195/55R16. Will have it mounted and balanced tomorrow. Wish me luck! cheers
atvtinker
atvtinker

Number of posts : 14
Registration date : 2009-06-17

Back to top Go down

Need a new brand section. VICTORY Empty Re: Need a new brand section. VICTORY

Post  nodakbassmaster Mon Jan 17, 2011 10:31 pm

sweet, let us know how it turns out!
nodakbassmaster
nodakbassmaster
Admin
Admin

Number of posts : 1604
Registration date : 2007-12-15

Back to top Go down

Post  smokey2255 Tue Jan 18, 2011 2:11 am

Welcome and definately keep us posted. I will add a victory section, Imay need a reminder so don't be shy about reminding me.

See you out there
Smokey
smokey2255
smokey2255
Admin
Admin

Number of posts : 2451
Registration date : 2007-12-14

Back to top Go down

Post  atvtinker Tue Jan 18, 2011 11:50 am

Got it mounted this morning and took it for a spin. Trying the pressure at 36 psi. The only noticeable difference is the slow speed manuevering. It does take a little more effort to keep it leaned over at say 10 to 15 mph but not anything that is not manageable. Kind of like riding a Big Dog chopper with a 330 mm back tire. May try to add some air to 40 and see if it makes much of a difference next time out.
atvtinker
atvtinker

Back to top Go down

Post  atvtinker Tue Jan 18, 2011 11:57 am

Oh and by the way, for some of you guys having a hard time getting the tire mounted and seated, try Yamaha's tire mounting spray. The shop I took it to used it and it mounted VERY easily. Didn't even have to get over 45 psi to set the bead. Must be some good stuff. He did have a time getting the old tire off though. I guess after 12000 miles tires really don't like to be taken down. I probably could have got another 2000 to 3000 miles out that tire but the 2 nails cut that short.
atvtinker
atvtinker

Back to top Go down

Post  atvtinker Sun Feb 13, 2011 4:44 pm

Well I put about 500 miles on the CT now and have to say that it has really been easier than I thought to get use to. I did go up to 40 psi and liked how it felt better there. I guess the sidewall flex is not as bad so it doesn't feel squirrely when pushed really hard and on hard dips in curves. I have been able to actually scrape my floorboards since switching, something haven't been able to do confidently with the stock tire. Sure makes it nice to not have to "hold up" the bike as much at long redlights. I think this one will be a keeper! cheers
atvtinker
atvtinker

Back to top Go down

Post  grampahawg Thu Jun 23, 2011 4:04 am

smokey2255 wrote:Welcome and definately keep us posted. I will add a victory section, Imay need a reminder so don't be shy about reminding me.
o.k.!! here is yer reminder!!!!

See you out there
Smokey

grampahawg

Number of posts : 6
Registration date : 2011-06-18

Back to top Go down

Post  quadancer Thu Jun 23, 2011 7:51 am

I can't speak for the bike itself, but that's generally a lot of pressure for the DS - you may want to get a few more miles under your belt and retry your pressures again, once the neural learning is done. I'll wager you'll find the lower pressures to be sweeter, unless of course, that particular tire wallows easily. It's just a matter of fine tuning, but your senses are different about it after the learning curve, such as it is.
quadancer
quadancer

Number of posts : 1245
Registration date : 2010-05-02

Back to top Go down

Post  twin1300 Thu Jun 23, 2011 7:53 am

quadancer wrote:I can't speak for the bike itself, but that's generally a lot of pressure for the DS - you may want to get a few more miles under your belt and retry your pressures again, once the neural learning is done. I'll wager you'll find the lower pressures to be sweeter, unless of course, that particular tire wallows easily. It's just a matter of fine tuning, but your senses are different about it after the learning curve, such as it is.

Good advice!!! I found the same thing!

..................bobby
twin1300
twin1300
Admin
Admin

Number of posts : 4689

Back to top Go down

Post  jedishon Thu Jun 23, 2011 10:29 am

twin1300 wrote:
quadancer wrote:I can't speak for the bike itself, but that's generally a lot of pressure for the DS - you may want to get a few more miles under your belt and retry your pressures again, once the neural learning is done. I'll wager you'll find the lower pressures to be sweeter, unless of course, that particular tire wallows easily. It's just a matter of fine tuning, but your senses are different about it after the learning curve, such as it is.

Good advice!!! I found the same thing!

..................bobby

I found I had to lower the pressure every 4000-5000 miles. Just a pound or 2 makes a big difference.

Jerry
jedishon
jedishon
Super User
Super User

Number of posts : 4436
Registration date : 2007-12-18

Back to top Go down

Need a new brand section. VICTORY Empty Me too!

Post  Gray Rider Thu Jun 23, 2011 3:01 pm

I put my Potenza on my 2008 VV about two months ago. Started out at 38 psi and after a couple of rides dropped it down to 36. I personally like it better there. Congrats on coming over, and you're right about having a Victory section.

Gray Rider

Registration date : 2010-01-24

Back to top Go down

Need a new brand section. VICTORY Empty ******* UPDATE ********

Post  twin1300 Thu Jun 23, 2011 3:26 pm

We are getting you guys a thread of your own as we speak. Glad to have the Victories on board for sure!

******* Talked with 00Doc and he will have you guys up as soon as he gets back from his vacation!

.......................bobby
twin1300
twin1300
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  ltrmc02 Sat Jun 25, 2011 2:46 pm

atvtinker wrote:Well I put about 500 miles on the CT now and have to say that it has really been easier than I thought to get use to. I did go up to 40 psi and liked how it felt better there. I guess the sidewall flex is not as bad so it doesn't feel squirrely when pushed really hard and on hard dips in curves. I have been able to actually scrape my floorboards since switching, something haven't been able to do confidently with the stock tire. Sure makes it nice to not have to "hold up" the bike as much at long redlights. I think this one will be a keeper! cheers
Where did you find the best place to get your tire and how difficult is it to remove the wheel from the Vision or get it jacked up high enough rather? I just bought a used 2008 and my neighboro just told me about running CT on the back so I'm here and new to both, Vision & DS, but have been riding bikes and changing my own M/C tires for several years. I get tired of having to plan my tire changes around my road trips lafer

ltrmc02

Number of posts : 33
Registration date : 2011-06-24

Back to top Go down

Post  atvtinker Sat Jun 25, 2011 11:21 pm

Got my tire from Discount tire through the internet. It was about $95 if I recall. Getting the rear wheel off is not dfficult at all, but you do have to jack it up quite high to get it out from underneath it unless you have a regular motorcycle table with the removable back plate which is what I have. If you remove one or both of the bolts through the shock and the link on the swing arm, you can jack up the bike enough to loosen the rear axle nut and slide the axle straight out without having to take the mufflers loose. Then just jack it some more to get the rear wheel out. It can be done in about 10 minutes if you're good with a wrench. I did eventually go back to 34 psi on the pressure after I got about 1000 miles on it.
atvtinker
atvtinker

Back to top Go down

Post  ltrmc02 Sun Jun 26, 2011 11:15 am

atvtinker wrote:Got my tire from Discount tire through the internet. It was about $95 if I recall. Getting the rear wheel off is not dfficult at all, but you do have to jack it up quite high to get it out from underneath it unless you have a regular motorcycle table with the removable back plate which is what I have. If you remove one or both of the bolts through the shock and the link on the swing arm, you can jack up the bike enough to loosen the rear axle nut and slide the axle straight out without having to take the mufflers loose. Then just jack it some more to get the rear wheel out. It can be done in about 10 minutes if you're good with a wrench. I did eventually go back to 34 psi on the pressure after I got about 1000 miles on it.
Anything you don't like about running the CT as opposed to the M/C tire? I think you stated above that you felt you had more grip when hard corning now? That is my biggest concern as I do like to lay into the curves pretty hard when I get the opportunity to go to the mountains which may be twice a year, other than that I'm not a very aggresive rider.

ltrmc02

Back to top Go down

Post  twin1300 Sun Jun 26, 2011 11:54 am

ltrmc02 wrote:
atvtinker wrote:Got my tire from Discount tire through the internet. It was about $95 if I recall. Getting the rear wheel off is not dfficult at all, but you do have to jack it up quite high to get it out from underneath it unless you have a regular motorcycle table with the removable back plate which is what I have. If you remove one or both of the bolts through the shock and the link on the swing arm, you can jack up the bike enough to loosen the rear axle nut and slide the axle straight out without having to take the mufflers loose. Then just jack it some more to get the rear wheel out. It can be done in about 10 minutes if you're good with a wrench. I did eventually go back to 34 psi on the pressure after I got about 1000 miles on it.
Anything you don't like about running the CT as opposed to the M/C tire? I think you stated above that you felt you had more grip when hard corning now? That is my biggest concern as I do like to lay into the curves pretty hard when I get the opportunity to go to the mountains which may be twice a year, other than that I'm not a very aggresive rider.

Dude..you can ride the twistyies harder than ever with the car tire!

..................bobby
twin1300
twin1300
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  ltrmc02 Sun Jun 26, 2011 3:59 pm

That tends to be what I'm reading but it sure doesn't seem like it would work so well. I'm definitely not knocking it as I haven't tried it, I take that back as I did do a short demo ride on a Boss Hoss once with what looked like a CT and it impressed me with the handling but at the time I didn't give much thought to the tires, just amazed that that huge thing handled like it did. I'm pretty sure I'll join the crowd and give it a shot here shortly, probably real soon as my M/C tire is probably past due if I was to get it inspected hmmm "I don't know son, I may have to turn you down on that rear tire there" lol

ltrmc02

Back to top Go down

Post  Doc Tue Jun 28, 2011 9:19 am

Thanks Smokey for getting this forum up. thumbup
Sorry I was in the Smokies tearing up the twisties with my HydroEdge and having a ton of fun. yeah
Doc
Doc
Admin
Admin

Number of posts : 1069
Registration date : 2008-04-21

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down