Riding on the Darkside
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

175R16 Austone Taxi Tire

+16
Rodsworth02
Andy Cote
rockyolson
Fatboy
George 99
David Miller
Larry Simpson
Doc
eidolon
larryc
dmerritt65
newday777
twin1300
96se
quadancer
SaiBeer
20 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

175R16 Austone Taxi Tire Empty 175R16 Austone Taxi Tire

Post  SaiBeer Tue Jun 29, 2010 12:46 pm

Reference: Goldwing GL1500 SE
New to the "Smart" Side. I am putting a GL1500 back together and noticed the rear tire will need replacing before I get it on the road. I want to go with CT, but do not like the idea of the "One-tire-one-brand" option currently staring at GL1500's.
I have got to ask - this is killing me (hopefully not literally). I have been trying to find an alternative to the Federal Formoza 175/60-16 due to its availability and due to its loss of nearly 1" seat height.
I found this unbelievable tough Dunlop tire (6-ply poy steel radial) on a vintage website available here in the US. It has almost the exact same height as the 160/80 - 16 that I am currently riding. The only real snag is the speed rating (Q - 99mph); but I suppose I will not be doing that speed for long without getting a ticket anyway.
Is anybody out there riding on this tire or has anyone at least tried it? Maybe even heard of it?
The website that has this tire in the US is:
http://www.universaltire.com/dunlop-tires/dunlop-radial-tires/175r16-austone-taxi-black.html
You can google it and find out more about the tire and how it came about (spec'ed by London taxi drivers). This is a one-time purchase kind of tire designed for +100,000 miles. It has got to have the hardest side walls of any car tire (except commerical truck tires) out there.
All feed back welcome.

SaiBeer

Number of posts : 8
Registration date : 2010-06-28

Back to top Go down

175R16 Austone Taxi Tire Empty Re: 175R16 Austone Taxi Tire

Post  quadancer Tue Jun 29, 2010 6:58 pm

Interesting find; good work man. I'd wonder though - can one guess the width by the 5.5" tread width? What point to what point do they measure that from? Then as you said, it may have some REALLY stiff sidewalls, born for taxi duty; hitting curbs, manhole covers, running down bums and the like.
That would mean no flex for keeping the tread on the ground on a bike I would assume.
OTOH, it could possibly be great...140,000 mile tire...
quadancer
quadancer

Number of posts : 1245
Registration date : 2010-05-02

Back to top Go down

175R16 Austone Taxi Tire Empty Research of 175R16

Post  SaiBeer Tue Jun 29, 2010 7:06 pm

I did quite a bit of reseach on this tire and found that it has an overall tire depth (width to us newbes) of 6.0". The tread width is not quite the same due to the tire design (similar to most other radials). This is a rather heavy steel belted radial with a 6-ply sidewall. Like I said bullet proof.
I measured the gap between the swing arms and there should be enough room to slide her right in. I am worried about the top of the fender now - that is why I asked if anyone had actually run one. I found someone else who is actually running a similar 175R16 Maxxis without modification to the GL1500. Do not bother looking it is only made in the UK and I am sure shipping is prohibitive.

SaiBeer

Back to top Go down

175R16 Austone Taxi Tire Empty Alternative tires

Post  96se Wed Jun 30, 2010 1:14 pm

Thanks for the research, I agree that more than 1 tire available will be nice.
96se
96se

Number of posts : 24
Registration date : 2010-06-13

http://www.drivingskills.on.ca

Back to top Go down

Post  quadancer Wed Jun 30, 2010 5:39 pm

Ha! With 6 ply sides, you may have to run 5 lbs. pressure in it!
quadancer
quadancer

Back to top Go down

Post  SaiBeer Wed Jun 30, 2010 5:59 pm

Gentlemen and ladies:
It has been confirmed - this tire is used quite extensively across the lake in the UK and Europe. The Dunlop tire has a knock off over there and they do not have to pay as much as we do for the Dunlop - but they all said the same thing; the only real worry was that the tire never wore out and that you could get corrosion back on the swing arm and not know it because you never looked at the rear anymore. Two replies through PM indicate over 100,000kms as I suspected without showing any wear. Most everyone else that replied had sidecars and they used this tire because it did not lower the rear of the bike at all.
Hope to see you on the "Smart Side" of the road in the near future.
Bt the way I have also since this posting found several other US companies that carry this tire. SHould be no problem finding them.
cheers

SaiBeer

Back to top Go down

175R16 Austone Taxi Tire Empty CT/MT Comparison

Post  SaiBeer Wed Jul 07, 2010 4:48 pm

I just got the CT today and could not wait to see whether it was up to the hype. This Taxi Dunlop 175R16 is the same size in width as well as height as the MT. No wonder everyone that I talked to said it was easy to mount. Looking at the tread area (foot print) I cannot tell hardly any difference (other than tread pattrern) SIDE NOTE: I am running the Dunlop 491 160/80B16 Elite II on the rear. The six-ply side wall of the CT that I was worried about being so stiff is actually less than that of the MT (slightly). The side wall is a build-up of several layers so it keeps it plyable. I am pleasantly surprized at how close the two tires are. This CT is also much more rounded on the corners so I do not think you are going to feel anything different in the corners. I am going to try to mount it this weekend and get some miles on it and let you know whether a $50.00 car tire can indeed be compared to a +$150.00 motorcylce tire. You should check out the depth of the tread on this tire as well - the MT never had tread this deep so there is always going to be a lot more rubber between you and the road when on this CT.
I hope everyone finds their sweet spot and gets as many miles in front of them as they have had behind them. Best of luck and safe riding to all.

SaiBeer

Back to top Go down

Post  twin1300 Wed Jul 07, 2010 6:33 pm

SaiBeer wrote:I just got the CT today and could not wait to see whether it was up to the hype. This Taxi Dunlop 175R16 is the same size in width as well as height as the MT. No wonder everyone that I talked to said it was easy to mount. Looking at the tread area (foot print) I cannot tell hardly any difference (other than tread pattrern) SIDE NOTE: I am running the Dunlop 491 160/80B16 Elite II on the rear. The six-ply side wall of the CT that I was worried about being so stiff is actually less than that of the MT (slightly). The side wall is a build-up of several layers so it keeps it plyable. I am pleasantly surprized at how close the two tires are. This CT is also much more rounded on the corners so I do not think you are going to feel anything different in the corners. I am going to try to mount it this weekend and get some miles on it and let you know whether a $50.00 car tire can indeed be compared to a +$150.00 motorcylce tire. You should check out the depth of the tread on this tire as well - the MT never had tread this deep so there is always going to be a lot more rubber between you and the road when on this CT.
I hope everyone finds their sweet spot and gets as many miles in front of them as they have had behind them. Best of luck and safe riding to all.

You can't compare a motorcycle tire to the car tire because the motorcycle tire don't stand a chance!!! LOL Congrats and you will love it.

.............................bobby
twin1300
twin1300
Admin
Admin

Number of posts : 4689
Registration date : 2007-12-14

Back to top Go down

175R16 Austone Taxi Tire Empty 175r16 austone

Post  newday777 Thu Oct 21, 2010 1:43 pm

Well I don't see any replies since they were mounted by anyone. How is it? I'm about to jump off the fence, the m/t's are ready to get fresh sneakers, looking for taller than formosa that Rudy is running as I don't want to loose any height, don't like how soon I'm scraping the floorboards now with the Dunlop E3s, so don't want shorter. How is it in the corners? And tracking or lane changes, mild or aggressive driving? Were there postings on another site on this tire? Where did you get it, can't find them on the web in US.
Thanks for the input. Stu

newday777

Number of posts : 15
Registration date : 2010-10-21

Back to top Go down

175R16 Austone Taxi Tire Empty where did you find for $50.00

Post  dmerritt65 Mon Mar 14, 2011 9:01 pm

twin1300 wrote:
SaiBeer wrote:I just got the CT today and could not wait to see whether it was up to the hype. This Taxi Dunlop 175R16 is the same size in width as well as height as the MT. No wonder everyone that I talked to said it was easy to mount. Looking at the tread area (foot print) I cannot tell hardly any difference (other than tread pattrern) SIDE NOTE: I am running the Dunlop 491 160/80B16 Elite II on the rear. The six-ply side wall of the CT that I was worried about being so stiff is actually less than that of the MT (slightly). The side wall is a build-up of several layers so it keeps it plyable. I am pleasantly surprized at how close the two tires are. This CT is also much more rounded on the corners so I do not think you are going to feel anything different in the corners. I am going to try to mount it this weekend and get some miles on it and let you know whether a $50.00 car tire can indeed be compared to a +$150.00 motorcylce tire. You should check out the depth of the tread on this tire as well - the MT never had tread this deep so there is always going to be a lot more rubber between you and the road when on this CT.

You can't compare a motorcycle tire to the car tire because the motorcycle tire don't stand a chance!!! LOL Congrats and you will love it.

.............................bobby
dmerritt65
dmerritt65

Number of posts : 2
Registration date : 2011-03-14

Back to top Go down

175R16 Austone Taxi Tire Empty Smooth as silk

Post  SaiBeer Mon Mar 14, 2011 10:02 pm

Sorry for the delay in response to everyone - I wanted to make sure everything was right.
The bike sits higher and getting it on the center stand is no sweat now. I run 37psi in the rear even though it doesn't need it for clearance (I just like the firmer ride). I increased the fork oil weight to gain some stiffness up front as well and get some of the trail back that I lost. This tire makes the bike steer quicker due to a lose in trail but is smooth as silk. I love the tire for its grip - can you imagine the front wheel coming off the ground on an 800lb bike without much trying. It has real sticking power and I do not notice anything in the curves. You all know that this tire is not as wide as the Dunlop E3 right? It goes on dead easy even though it is taller.
Ride safe and keep the rubber side down. Enjoy the ride. Once I get enough miles down on this tire I will let you know about gasoline mileage

SaiBeer

Back to top Go down

Post  quadancer Tue Mar 15, 2011 10:24 am

What I'd really like to see is someone comparing the Austone to the Comtrac. That would be exciting, but as long as these tires last, it may be a while yet. 🤡
quadancer
quadancer

Back to top Go down

Post  larryc Thu Mar 24, 2011 12:32 am

This is the first tire I've seen that might work on an 1100. It's the right width. It is an inch taller though, so that might have a clearance problem.

larryc

Number of posts : 5
Registration date : 2011-03-23

Back to top Go down

Post  eidolon Tue May 03, 2011 8:47 pm

SaiBeer wrote: Once I get enough miles down on this tire I will let you know about gasoline mileage

Hopefully you have had time to get some miles on the tire by now. What do you think of it?

seeya
eidolon
eidolon
eidolon

Number of posts : 41
Registration date : 2011-04-11

Back to top Go down

Post  SaiBeer Wed May 04, 2011 4:54 pm

Love the rear tire. Did not realize how much the rear tire was searching on the road until I got this CT on the back. I am serious this tire rides straight down the road. The front tire now though seems like it is searching through all the grooves and I have to pay more attention because the rear is rock solid.
I really thought that cornering was going to be problem but I have ground the side bag guard rails on both sides and still the tire is like glue - go figure that one.
Wet roads I knew the tire would be slicker but it proved me wrong again. The front tire seemed looser than the rear and the brakes when wet are much firmer at the rear than they have ever been. I notice that even dry weather rear braking has much more an impact so I am spending a lot more time on the rear brake than before and the bike is smoother to stop as a result.
My one complaint - this is one tall tire and even with 75psi in the rear air suspension it still grounds out in the front part of the undercarriage when I hit large bumps or dips. I have been keeping an eye on the tire though and I think because it is rubbing plastic the tire is not showing anything not even shiny spots where the tire should be polishing from the rubbing. It just sounds bad when it grounds out. I am keeping 45psi in the tire and it is a rock solid performer. I Left part of it on the road yesterday by accident when I got a little exuberant with the throttle - the front end got really light as well - that never happened before. I wasn't trying to smoke it just trying to get out of the way.
The speed is much better at any rpm as the rear tire is much taller. I am cruising at 45mph at less than 2000rpm easy in top gear so gas mileage has improved. Even with all the playing around I am getting 35-38mpg with most of that in city driving. The poorest I have gotten is 32mpg all city driving.
I have to be honest and let you know that if you ask me I am going to have to recommend this tire - just remember to check the clearance of the front mud flap before you lock everything down. I am putting a sidecar on this rig eventually so that it is why I went with the CT. I think now though it would be a good idea no matter what you went with as the weight bearing capability and stability of the tire is better than anything I have felt before.

SaiBeer

Back to top Go down

Post  Doc Wed May 04, 2011 7:17 pm

Thanks for the report! Wet traction is amazing isn't it. thumbup
Doc
Doc
Admin
Admin

Number of posts : 1069
Registration date : 2008-04-21

Back to top Go down

Post  quadancer Wed May 04, 2011 9:20 pm

One thing: keep the habit of hitting the front brake FIRST and ADDING rear. This will give you more control, preload the front and get you in the habit of being gentle with the rear, which in a panic is a slide item, even with a CT, as I found out the hard way.
Front First always. You don't want to get to relying on the rear just because it now suddenly works like it should. It's not a car.

Of course, you'll want to release the front when under 10 mph or so. Rear brake at very slow speeds makes the bike want to stand up.

You may already know all this, but I'm just sayin', ya know? That report is what I've been wanting to hear on the Austone.
quadancer
quadancer

Back to top Go down

175R16 Austone Taxi Tire Empty Balanced braking

Post  SaiBeer Wed May 04, 2011 9:30 pm

Excellent words of wisdom and I guess I should have mentioned I always ride with my two fingers over the front brake and clutch for that matter - just a habit I got into a long time ago. The 1500 has linked brakes so even though you are riding the rear brake you are applying a good portion of front brake as well so we are cheating in that sense. When I need to get stopped in a hurry I am also downshifting and laying heavy on the front brake. This thing stops much quicker and flatter profiled now then it ever did with the MT on the rear. That large rear rotor could lock the rear tire quicker than Dallas when I was in great need of being still when the MT was on the rear.
Keep it real and eyes wide open

SaiBeer

Back to top Go down

175R16 Austone Taxi Tire Empty re balanced braking

Post  Larry Simpson Thu May 05, 2011 12:13 am

I think you guys are nutts Laughing Laughing Laughing different generation I guess,we were taught to only use front brake in an emergency and for park brake,has served me well for almost 50 years of riding.The first thing I was impressed with on the CT was the added stopping traction. plus1 plus1
Larry Simpson
Larry Simpson

Number of posts : 1007
Registration date : 2008-08-18

Back to top Go down

Post  quadancer Fri May 06, 2011 9:46 am

Until you're in a rear wheel slide that takes you down in 2 seconds. Ask me how I know (RECENTLY). And I've been riding for 29 years, 2 on dirt. I've been used to the back brake as a primary, BUT after reading on the Paladin Group Riding academy website about this technique, at first I had reservations myself. But after it was explained I got a better understanding.
For one thing, with weaker Harley brakes (or heavier bike and single disc), I'm trying to go from 2 to 3 fingers - it was explained that whatever you use daily will be what you use in an emergency, and it takes 3 to fully brake a front end on a Hog.
Secondly, when you load the front FIRST, it loads the wheel where the MOST braking is. Applying the rear SECONDLY causes you to become more diligent, delicate, or what have you with it, and removes the risk of the main cause of bikes going DOWN - rear wheel slide.
Third, if you load the rear FIRST, then in an emergency load the front second, it removes the weight from the rear wheel as it is being used for the main braking traction, CAUSING it to slide.
There is a certain neural learning to accumulate muscle memory that becomes your automatic and efficient operation.

Another thing that I need to practice is swerve and avoid. When I went down, I was panic braking just fine, but to avoid hitting the rear of the bike who was stopping ahead of me when I'd looked back (instead of using my mirror), I tried to swerve...but without practicing S&A, I kept my rear brake applied. This caused my rear to slide out (as it immediately lost the weight of the bike) and SLAM! I went down FAST at only about 30 mph. According to the Paladin group and the RLAP videos, releasing the brakes would have allowed the bike to swerve without going down.

I'll be in the cones tomorrow with the Faith Riders and Atlanta Cruisers up in Cummings. Practice makes perfect.
quadancer
quadancer

Back to top Go down

175R16 Austone Taxi Tire Empty Austone 175R16 does not fit '94 GL1500

Post  David Miller Mon May 16, 2011 5:30 pm

Based on the ifo I read here and on a couple of other sites, I switched from the Formosa to the Austone Taxi tire, what a mistake. With my 416 air shocks inflated to max the tire still rubs on every bump and corner. Thats with just me on the bike, there is no way I can add the extra weight of the side car and expect to ride with this tire. doees someone know something that I don't?
Sad
Dave

David Miller

Number of posts : 4
Registration date : 2011-05-16

Back to top Go down

Post  quadancer Mon May 16, 2011 9:18 pm

Stay out of McDonald's?
quadancer
quadancer

Back to top Go down

Post  David Miller Mon May 16, 2011 9:57 pm

Very funny, You do realize this tire is two inches taller than a Dunlop E3! that means it is up in the fender well one inch deeper to start with than the stock tire. Riding two up is impossible with this tire so would be the weight of a side car!

David Miller

Back to top Go down

175R16 Austone Taxi Tire Empty Austone tire height

Post  SaiBeer Tue May 17, 2011 7:20 am

I went underneath the bike to see what all the racket was every time I hit a dip. It turned out that the tire is hitting the tabs (pins) that hold the front mud flap. Once I pulled that out of the way I have been able to ride at very comfortable shock pressures between 27-35psi. At first I had to run mine up to 75psi and I still hit the mud flap pins.
I looked very closely at the tire and it does not seem to be any worse for "wear" and there doesn't seem to be any damage in the fender well either (all plastic parts up there.
After riding this tire for several hundered miles now I think I am getting used to having it under the bike and feel more comfortable about what is going on underneath the bike.
Take a look at the mud flap on the front part of the rear well and you will see what I mean. You can actually remove those pins without pulling the tire if you want to caveman it out of there. Once those pins are gone I haven't heard it rub even across railraod tracks although I keep an eye on it everytime I get off the bike.
Safe riding.

SaiBeer

Back to top Go down

Post  David Miller Tue May 17, 2011 9:18 am

Sailbeer, Thanks for the reply, I will check the pins this moring and seee if that does the job. I like the feel of the tiree itself and the bike handles well with it, but the noise scares the hell out of meand I need two be able to ride two up and with a sidecar. Thanks again!
Dave

David Miller

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next