Riding on the Darkside
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Darkside Harleys?

2 posters

Go down

Darkside Harleys? Empty Darkside Harleys?

Post  easygoer Tue Dec 25, 2007 2:39 pm

My brother has a Harley and has asked me about the darkside. I'm not familiar with their tires/wheels but he tells me the size is a 5.00 X 16" (?). I've done some research and found this to be equivalent to a 130/90-16 size.

I can't find a car tire this size (or even close).....all searches result in MC tires.

Anyone familiar with a car tire this size, or have any options/experience with darkside Harleys? TIA

Paul

easygoer

Number of posts : 24
Registration date : 2007-12-17

Back to top Go down

Darkside Harleys? Empty Re: Darkside Harleys?

Post  twin1300 Tue Dec 25, 2007 3:45 pm

Easygoer,

My father n law wants a darkside for his RoadKing and they DON'T make a car tire for that size. HD has cornered the market when it comes to their tires and Dunlops. Your options on tires period is limited. I mean my father n laws RK has a 140mm dunnie on back Shocked Shocked My front tire on my 1300C is a 110 and it's the skinniest of the 1300's.

Plus your friends HD you are talking about is like my father n laws RK, even if you re-spoked the rear wheel to a different rim, a car tire will not fit. The tire on the RK rubs the belt right now, so you options are slim to none on the darkside.

...................bobby

Last edited by on Thu Dec 27, 2007 12:46 pm; edited 1 time in total
twin1300
twin1300
Admin
Admin

Number of posts : 4689
Registration date : 2007-12-14

Back to top Go down

Post  easygoer Wed Dec 26, 2007 9:45 am

Thanks bobby, that stock tire is mighty narrow, and I didn't know how much wider he could go and still have clearance. I searched for 140s and still didn't find any. And the spoked wheel had me concerned too (tubed tire?). Perhaps a 15" wheel would have a choice or 2, but don't think he's willing to go to too much trouble. Was just asking me.

I do find it interesting that I hear this phrase so many times (in different versions) on the boards..."It's time for a new rear tire. I'm thinking of going to the darkside and have a few questions" Very Happy

Paul

easygoer

Number of posts : 24
Registration date : 2007-12-17

Back to top Go down

Post  twin1300 Wed Dec 26, 2007 10:18 am

easygoer wrote:Thanks bobby, that stock tire is mighty narrow, and I didn't know how much wider he could go and still have clearance. I searched for 140s and still didn't find any. And the spoked wheel had me concerned too (tubed tire?). Perhaps a 15" wheel would have a choice or 2, but don't think he's willing to go to too much trouble. Was just asking me.

I do find it interesting that I hear this phrase so many times (in different versions) on the boards..."It's time for a new rear tire. I'm thinking of going to the darkside and have a few questions" Very Happy

Paul

Paul,

When you get ready to do the dirty.....let us know. Got a lot of experience on here with guys who have ridden them for years. When you get ready, just ask.

Glad we could help................bobby

twin1300
twin1300
Admin
Admin

Number of posts : 4689
Registration date : 2007-12-14

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down