Riding on the Darkside
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

New to the dark side BMW R1200rt

Go down

New to the dark side BMW R1200rt Empty New to the dark side BMW R1200rt

Post  Nurzo Sat Aug 05, 2017 9:08 pm

I found a small amount of info on a BMW site and thought to myself that's for me.  The last long ride I went on was 3000 kms over 2 days and in West Australia the roads a long straight and hot.  The middle of the tyre was worn out and the tyre had done a total of around 6000 kms.
When the current tyre wears out I will be going to the darkside with a 205/50/17 tyre.  Had a look around my scrap metal bin and found some plate aluminum which I put into the lathe and tuned into a 12mm spacer, have ordered 53mm lug bolts from the UK and I will be ready for the conversion when the current tyre wears out.  I'll turn down the 12mm to a suitable clearance when I come to final fitting.

Then I will be a true Darksider.

Steve

Last edited by Nurzo on Wed Aug 23, 2017 7:44 pm; edited 1 time in total

Nurzo

Number of posts : 4
Registration date : 2017-08-05

Back to top Go down

New to the dark side BMW R1200rt Empty Closer to the darkside

Post  Nurzo Wed Aug 23, 2017 3:00 am

I acquired a Perreli 205/50/17 P6 tire and have fitted it to the BMW rim. Went on like a glove using silicone spray as the lubricant.
Have made a 7mm spacer which will give the tire swing-arm clearance of 10mm.
The left side of the plastic mud guard, down near the shocker mount, is rubbing on the tire so a heat gun will soften it enough to be able to push it clear hold in place till it cools and it should all be good.
Longer lug bolts off a GSA beemer 53mm as apposed to the 41mm that are standard on the RT. The longer bolts still need to be trimmed down to 50mm to give good clearance for the ABS sensor, done.
Wheel balance will be done tomorrow and it will be right to go. To bad I have just come out of surgery, having my SI joint fused, this will prevent the first ride for a few weeks.

Steve

Nurzo

Number of posts : 4
Registration date : 2017-08-05

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum