Wobble at 80-90mph

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Wobble at 80-90mph

Post  Kyoujin on Tue May 17, 2016 3:53 pm

Ok. Howdy all. Been away for a long time because I sold my last bike I had the darkside on. Well, last August I bought a 98 Vt1100 ACE Tourer with a double darkside. I've played with air pressures and what not but I get a wobble in the front end (tank slapping) at 80-90 mph. I rarely ever get up that fast but I don't like that wobble and want to fix it. The front tire is mounted backwards and I'm wondering if that might have anything to do with. I was also wondering if it might have something to do with the windshield and the way the wind passes over it but it will do it without the windshield on it....so I'm stumped. Only happens at those speeds. Any ideas? Thanks.

Josh
Kyoujin

Number of posts : 33
Registration date : 2008-09-24

Back to top Go down

Re: Wobble at 80-90mph

Post  rrounds on Thu May 19, 2016 11:14 am

I also have a '98 T D/D but get no wobble unless my rear tire gets low on air.
What size and type of tires do you have?

ROD

rrounds

Number of posts : 256
Registration date : 2008-06-06

Back to top Go down

Post  Kyoujin on Mon May 23, 2016 7:31 am

The front is a Trail Master 150/70R18 and the rear is a Kumho ecsta 195/60R16. The previous owner had a long twisty gravel driveway so he thought an enduro rear tire on the front would work well. I have a long gravel driveway as well but I only have two turns. I think it is the front tire but I don't know if it is the rotation (I know I've read about the rear rotation mounting thing on the front but can't remember why) or if it's just a crappy tire. I have no issues from the rear at all. It's been great although starting to get a little thin in the middle. I might have it a little high on air pressure but it rides great.
Kyoujin

Back to top Go down

Post  rrounds on Mon May 23, 2016 12:56 pm

I would do one thing at a time, like put more or less air in one tire and see if the wobble stays the same or gets better/worse. Do that for both tires(one at a time) just to see if that helps. I would go up 7 to 10 psi from where you run it now and down 5 to 10 psi. Let us know if that works.

ROD

rrounds

Back to top Go down

Post  rrounds on Mon May 23, 2016 1:00 pm

Here is a great site for the Shadow ACE Tourer
http://hondashadowacetourer.yuku.com/directory

ROD

rrounds

Back to top Go down

Post  Kyoujin on Mon May 23, 2016 9:24 pm

Cool. I'll give that a shot.

That is a good site! I joined it shortly after buying the T last August. I miss my VTX....the T still feels small to me but it's a great bike. Looks good too!
Kyoujin

Back to top Go down

Post  atvtinker on Sun Oct 30, 2016 10:44 pm

It's definitely the rear tire. If the rear tire has too soft of a sidewall then it will flex too much causing the wobble. I just had the same situation with the new tire I put on my Victory. I tried the new General GMax and could not get out of the wobble until after I aired it up to 46 psi and then the wobble moved up to around 95 mph. So I'm taking this one back off and calling it a loss. The rear tire has to have a stiff sidewall for it to work at higher speeds. Most of the run-flats work perfect for the back.
atvtinker

Number of posts : 14
Registration date : 2009-06-17

Back to top Go down

Post  rrounds on Wed Nov 02, 2016 2:17 pm

atvtinker wrote:It's definitely the rear tire. If the rear tire has too soft of a sidewall then it will flex too much causing the wobble. I just had the same situation with the new tire I put on my Victory. I tried the new General GMax and could not get out of the wobble until after I aired it up to 46 psi and then the wobble moved up to around 95 mph. So I'm taking this one back off and calling it a loss. The rear tire has to have a stiff sidewall for it to work at higher speeds. Most of the run-flats work perfect for the back.

You ride a Victory and this is a Honda. All bikes don't ride the same. I run a 175/75-16 on my T and get no wobble till the air gets down to around 29 to 31 in the rear tire.
We have guys on here that use a 175/78-16 and 185/75-16 tire and both mine and theirs have way taller sidwalls than your tire had on your Victory.

Take a look at these two tires 175/75-16 and 185/75-16. Call and see if they can get you one, either one will fit the T.
http://bernardstire.com/ue-168-nbravo-series-tires-davis-california

Here is another tire you can get, this cargo tire should last a long time. And if you want to get the winter tire(non studded of coruse) thats OK, it will last a long time on a bike also.
http://www.tiresbyweb.com/tbw_tiresearchadv2.aspx?treadwidth=185&profile=75&rimsize=16&Winter=0&Pageindex=1&choice2=All

ROD

rrounds

Back to top Go down

Post  atvtinker on Wed Nov 02, 2016 7:22 pm

Just because your tire has a taller sidewall doesn't mean that it is softer. I have had a Bridgestone Potenza in the exact same size as the General GMax and the sidewall was a lot stiffer on the Bridgestone. Each manufacturer has their own idea as to what makes a tire perform a certain way. Some prefer to have a hard compound tread and a soft sidewall to give a comfortable ride and others have a stiffer sidewall and soft compound tread for high performance. If you would have read his post correctly, he was using a tire almost exactly the same size as the one that fits my Victory so I gave him some insight as I do have in experience in that size.
atvtinker

Number of posts : 14
Registration date : 2009-06-17

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top