Riding on the Darkside
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

What to look for in choosing a tire

2 posters

Go down

What to look for in choosing a tire Empty What to look for in choosing a tire

Post  Ranko Kohime Sun Jul 05, 2015 1:18 am

I'm getting ready to darkside my 2006 V-Strom 650, and of the only 2 tires that I can find that people have tried, 1 is no longer available, and the other is a winter tire, which I'm not quite sold on.  So this means I'll be doing some looking around.

I know for my specific bike I need to pay attention to the section width, so as to avoid chain rub, but what, if anything should I look at in regards to the tread, or any other aspect of the tire?
Ranko Kohime
Ranko Kohime

Number of posts : 3
Registration date : 2015-07-02

Back to top Go down

What to look for in choosing a tire Empty Re: What to look for in choosing a tire

Post  rrounds Sun Jul 05, 2015 12:50 pm

Don't worry about the Winter tire, I ride with some guys that only have that type of tire to choose from. We ride in temp's up to 110 F and their winter tire works just fine, on a plus the winter tire has even more traction when it's wet outside than a standard C/T. Even more than the C/T I'm running on my Goldwing and I get very good traction in the rain. I'm also thinking about going to a Winter tire when my C/T wears out.

ROD

rrounds

Number of posts : 256
Registration date : 2008-06-06

Back to top Go down

What to look for in choosing a tire Empty Re: What to look for in choosing a tire

Post  Ranko Kohime Fri Jul 10, 2015 11:29 pm

Traction wasn't really my main concern (although it is good to hear that), my main concern was for longevity. 70k miles a year on my job (a few of which will be cage miles out of necessity), makes me long for a tire that I will only have to replace yearly at most.
Ranko Kohime
Ranko Kohime

Back to top Go down

Post  rrounds Sat Jul 11, 2015 12:14 pm

I don't know of anyone that has gotten 60k+ miles out of the rear tire on a bike with power and weight. Maybe your 650 could get close but I don't know anyone riding that size bike with a c/t. A buddy of mine runs a winter tire on his 830# cruiser and he gets around 30 to 35k miles on it(bike tire lasted 8 to 10k miles). You just have to think how many bike tires you would go through in the same time, if you get twice the mileage(or more) out of a c/t that is a lot of uninterrupted riding.

ROD

rrounds

Number of posts : 256
Registration date : 2008-06-06

Back to top Go down

Post  Ranko Kohime Sat Nov 07, 2015 2:48 am

Well, after purchasing the General Altimax Arctic in 205/50-17, it does not fit. The chain rubs the sidewall something awful. Which is strange, as the darkside list shows someone with this exact tire on the same bike. (Granted the bike on the list is a 2007, and mine is a 2006, but they didn't change the wheels or drivetrain in that span of time, only modified the heads a bit, from what I've read)

So, I'm back to searching for a suitable tire, while I wear out the tire I ended up buying just to get rolling again. 2cents
Ranko Kohime
Ranko Kohime

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum