Darksiding a GS850G

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Darksiding a GS850G

Post  Farside on Sun Jun 21, 2015 8:53 am

I've been looking seriously at this for my GS850 and did the following;
Got a 15" wheel from a Suzuki Cavalcade, which will fit with a bit of bearing molishment (possibly available off the shelf, but might need a carrier/sleeve machined), and have a Nankang 135r15 to go on that, when it's ready. I reckon that will all fit nicely and should comfortably retain some clearance in the swingarm. The overall rolling radius of that is slightly smaller than the 130/90-17, but is very close to the factory original size of 4.50-17.
Shortly after buying that, I acquired a shaft-drive 16" rim from a GS1100GK, which will fit more-or-less straight into my bike, and kept it aside for future use, in the possible event of finding a suitable tyre.
Recently I discovered that Heidenau are making a 5r16 tyre that should fit that rim and still fit in the swingarm space.
They're available here...
http://www.tyreleader.co.uk/car-tyres/heidenau/p29/5r16-74p-95654
Of the two, I'm likely to fit the Heidenau first, as the wheel will go straight in - only need a disc for that, buy the tyre and good to go.

Farside

Number of posts : 6
Registration date : 2015-06-21

Back to top Go down

Re: Darksiding a GS850G

Post  Farside on Tue Sep 01, 2015 12:08 pm

Well, ain't that a sod.
I found a disc for that 16" wheel, was about to buy the Heidenau tyre shortly, went over to that site and they're all sold out.
I suspect Heidenau make a limited number of them for the classic car market and probably make them in batches, so it might be a while before they appear again. If they don't show up for a while, I'm just going to proceed with the 15" Cavalcade rim and have a disc made for that locally.
The other possibility is to simply fit a x-ply or bias 16" as a stop-gap and see how it goes.

Farside

Number of posts : 6
Registration date : 2015-06-21

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top