Riding on the Darkside
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Tire Size Info

4 posters

Go down

Tire Size Info Empty Tire Size Info

Post  sumdatx Mon May 04, 2015 9:54 am

My name is Tom and I joined your forum last night (but did not stay at a Motel 6). I am looking with renewed interest for a good CT for my VTX1300C, raked bagger. I've PM'd a couple of folks. I did try a CT last year for 500 miles or so but did not like some aspects of the handling. Let's just say the new Altimax RT43 is not totally like the original, and the differences seem to be highlighted by the more narrow 1300 rim.
But the hunt goes on and I found an excellent site to share with you: http://tire-size-conversion.com/tire-calculator/ plus1
I've never found more info on tire comparisons, totally useful data. It turns out that the tire I'm leaning towards (Michelin Defender 205/65-15) is .8% smaller than the OEM size and that should do just fine -- even with the shorter shocks for the rake kit.
Looking forward to doing a lot of reading on past discussions -- never to late to learn a thing or two. study

sumdatx

Number of posts : 4
Registration date : 2015-05-04

Back to top Go down

Tire Size Info Empty Re: Tire Size Info

Post  rrounds Mon May 04, 2015 1:46 pm

I would look at a 175/75-15
and here is a very good tire comparison site
http://ejelta.com/tiresize/index.html?orderby=width&tiresize=205%2F65-15&maxdelta=4&minwidth=160&maxwidth=195&minratio=55&maxratio=85&minwheel=16&maxwheel=16
Just put in your stock size tire and see what may fit.

ROD

rrounds

Number of posts : 256
Registration date : 2008-06-06

Back to top Go down

Post  Doc Mon May 04, 2015 8:08 pm

205/70 or 65/15 is the size you want for a VTX. The 65 if you have short legs or short shocks, the 70 is easier to mount IMHO. thumbup
Doc
Doc
Admin
Admin

Number of posts : 1069
Registration date : 2008-04-21

Back to top Go down

Post  sumdatx Wed May 06, 2015 3:42 pm

Thanks for your reply -- I'm leaning heavily towards a Michelin Defender 205/65-15. But will have to talk to my mechanic friend about the amount of psi it may take to seat the beads. Pretty sure I can lube them up since I plan to use Ride-on. I'm determined to make something work. It will be 24 more revs per mile than a "70", but only around 7 more than stock/oem. I tried a Altimax RT43, 205/70-15, and it did mount very easily and I just had to air it down to put it on. Still have it in the shed, but like Wayne does, plan to donate it to a needy local person.

sumdatx

Back to top Go down

Post  Charlie D Sun May 17, 2015 1:37 pm

Tom I have the defender in the 60 series on my 1300 and I would not go with it again

seems the compound is a little to hard and it gets a little loose in wet conditions.
Wayne from Roseburg had it mounted on a cast rim for his 1300 and I bought it from him, it is not very old either.

Charlie D

Number of posts : 32
Registration date : 2009-05-05

Back to top Go down

Post  sumdatx Sun May 24, 2015 11:15 pm

Thanks Charlie -- Got good feedback from Texasmike on the "OA" -- he runs a 1300C with an 8* rake and uses a 205/70-15 CT. Have to do the usual trim job to the inner rails and bolts sticking thru and he says it works great, even 2-up. Finally got my wife on it today and no issues with the rake kit and all the changes to make it right. Had a 205 on it for a brief time and it fit good and seated pretty quickly. I remember a couple of tires we made at Yokohama that had some pretty hard rubber in the tread compound -- great for longevity, did great in the heat of the SW even when they did get some rain, but around here -- after a year or 2 the rubber got even more hard and you had zero traction in the wet. Something to consider for sure Shrug

sumdatx

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down