New to forum, tempted to go darkside

View previous topic View next topic Go down

New to forum, tempted to go darkside

Post  EverFighter on Mon Jan 05, 2015 1:13 am

This is probly an old dog thread if not cliché, but idc.

I ride a 2014 Yamaha FZ1. Third bike, 4 years riding this last October, as my only mode of transportation. I don't do many long trips, but I do put down around 15-20k a year.

I'm a true motorcycle enthusiast/devotee, worked at shop before and now do house call bike repairs for side money. USMC vet, finishing Lincoln College welding program and hopefully going to FL for Wyotech for an actual bike tech cert.
I'm the sort that pursues factually based, non-biased truth and forms his own decision.

Living in Arlington TX I haven't seen but a handful of darksided sportbikes. I was always intrigued though.

I'm a considerably aggressive rider, shortened the sprocket ratio to an even 3.0 so I could enjoy more of my powerband in the city, I'm a torque junkie. My second bike was a basket case 1984 VF1100S, which I slowly restored and turned into a streetfighter/café torque dragon. I was her gimp and she was my mistress. I loved every second of it. Such a violent bike... all hail the V65.

Now that I've spit out a bit about myself, my real Q here is if anyone can give me info on what I could expect from darksiding an aggressively geared daily ride sportbike.
What are the REAL, HANDS ON experiences? I've used the Avon Storm 2/3 on my last 2 bikes, which CT's should I use for all season / wet weather riding? How will it effect my final to the ground gearing ratio from a shorter sidewall?
Any other info you guys feel like giving is more than welcome, educate me!

EverFighter

Number of posts : 2
Registration date : 2015-01-05

Back to top Go down

Re: New to forum, tempted to go darkside

Post  LadyDraco on Mon Jan 05, 2015 6:12 am

Welcome to the DS ....
LadyDraco

Number of posts : 240
Registration date : 2010-09-14

Back to top Go down

Post  EverFighter on Tue Jan 06, 2015 1:32 am

So no one in about 15 views has any kind of knowledge to shed? No opinions to express?

EverFighter

Number of posts : 2
Registration date : 2015-01-05

Back to top Go down

Post  LadyDraco on Tue Jan 06, 2015 6:53 am

We have Valkyries...And are all DS ...Don't know anything about Sport Bikes....

The only thing I say...Is go to the home page and check out the other Bike type forums.... Very Happy
They are all DS.......
LadyDraco

Number of posts : 240
Registration date : 2010-09-14

Back to top Go down

try this one

Post  rossmond on Tue Jan 06, 2015 2:40 pm

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?tireMake=Goodyear&tireModel=Assurance+TripleTred+All-Season&sidewall=Blackwall&partnum=05VR7ATTASXL&tab=Specs  dont know how it will hold a footpeg drag ,im on a touring bike,but you will take off faster and stop faster .my brother in law runs it on his sport bike(hes a bit crazy though:) he drives it in the snow,let us know how it works.

Last edited by rossmond on Thu Jan 08, 2015 3:27 pm; edited 1 time in total
rossmond

Number of posts : 32
Registration date : 2014-09-05

Back to top Go down

Post  coldweatherfreak on Wed Jan 07, 2015 4:18 pm

the issue you will have is with a 17" wheel you will have to get a substantially wider tire than stock probably 205/50-17

I used a General Altimax Arctic on my V-strom, as expected even if you put that wide of a MC tire on, you will notice slightly more countersteer effort, but nothing you wouldn't get used in the first couple miles of riding, slow speed maneuvering you will feel "tip up" as you turn, but not once you get going

chain clearance may be tight

Another V-strommer that I know and rides fairly aggressive was running a General Exclaim UHP but I have heard that that tire is now obsolete, he had no problem scraping pegs

as with any tire, it is a compromise
coldweatherfreak

Number of posts : 155
Registration date : 2010-12-02

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top