Riding on the Darkside
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

New the the forum, about to go Dark!

4 posters

Go down

New the the forum, about to go Dark! Empty New the the forum, about to go Dark!

Post  tagrider Fri Jan 10, 2014 8:06 am

Been reading and reading and reading and reading.  Finally decided on my tire.
Michelin Defender 205/70-15

I have the No-Mar bar for doing MC tires so I'm going to TRY to mount this thing by hand.  I don't have a compressor though so I will likely have to bring it in to work and see if one of the buildings and grounds guys can help me air it up.  To be quite honest, I've read so much on going to the darkside all I can really remember is there are supposed to be cookies somewhere.  THAT seems to be what sticks out in every thread on every site.  I think I recall that you need to - or maybe this was just for a certain tire, over inflate the hell out of it a couple of times to get the "flex" needed while riding??

So if someone can point me to an actual install guide that would be tremendously helpful.

Also, I'm going to need to figure out what PSI to run this thing at.....

Last edited by tagrider on Fri Jan 10, 2014 8:52 pm; edited 1 time in total

tagrider

Number of posts : 10
Registration date : 2014-01-10

Back to top Go down

New the the forum, about to go Dark! Empty Re: New the the forum, about to go Dark!

Post  Doc Fri Jan 10, 2014 8:17 pm

There are some good videos on youtube for tips on levering on tires.
I'd start at about 28lbs. and ride it for a couple days then bump it up 2 more lbs. for a couple days and so forth
till you get up to about 40 lbs before you decide on what pressure feels best.
Doc
Doc
Admin
Admin

Number of posts : 1069
Registration date : 2008-04-21

Back to top Go down

New the the forum, about to go Dark! Empty Re: New the the forum, about to go Dark!

Post  tagrider Sat Jan 11, 2014 6:45 pm

So are you saying vids on how to take the tire off the rim? I've got that down. I didn't know if there was a special way to mount the CT on the rim or just inflate till it seats and then air it down to riding PSI. No "preconditioning" needed? Thought I read somewhere that you had to do that, but again could have been for that particular model tire/bike.

Changed my front today and was eyeing the Defender I got. Part of why I am excited to do this is with my hardbags it it such a PITA to do the rear tire, so i haven't done it yet. But looking at the Defender, wow...that sidewall is flimsy. It'll be better when there's air in it right? It's got me second thinking ....

tagrider

Back to top Go down

Post  Doc Sun Jan 12, 2014 1:10 pm

Just make sure your rim is baby butt smooth and clean, and you use plenty of lube. The tire should seat at a reasonable pressure.
The last Michelin I had mounted seated the bead at about 50psi.
Having the tire warm also helps.
Doc
Doc
Admin
Admin

Number of posts : 1069
Registration date : 2008-04-21

Back to top Go down

Post  tagrider Tue Jan 14, 2014 9:12 pm

Thanks for the tips.  Now just to find time to get it done.  Pics will follow!

tagrider

Back to top Go down

Post  bigkevin112 Wed Mar 12, 2014 1:19 am

Hey tagrider. Did you ever get the defender mounted? I'm about to order the tire and wondering if you had any issues mounting and how much psi it took to seat the bead? Also wondering about the ride and how it handles? And was wondering if you had some pictures. Thanks in advance for your info.

bigkevin112

Number of posts : 12
Registration date : 2013-10-04

Back to top Go down

Post  tagrider Wed Mar 12, 2014 6:55 am

It is still sitting in my garage, wanting and yearning.  I haven't had the time to mount it yet.  I'm in New England and it has been a snowy winter this year, the days that are rideable I go out and ride, the days that are not I'm busy clearing snow from my 1/4 driveway...

I am planning to go from NH to IL this April for the Moonshine Lunch Run and hope to have it mounted before then and have 300-500 under me on it before I make the long ride on it.  I think I will have time this weekend though, depends on a couple of things.  

Here's what I got for pics though.

New the the forum, about to go Dark! 0108141907

New the the forum, about to go Dark! 0108141908b

tagrider

Back to top Go down

Post  bigkevin112 Sat Mar 15, 2014 9:35 am

Well I decided to just go for it. I bought the defender and its setting in the garage. I should have it installed this week sometime. I will post up my experience and some pictures of it when I do it. Not going to lie but I'm a little nervous about it because I'm hoping I like it. I also bought 85° valve stems to install and ride-on tire sealer for both tires.

bigkevin112

Back to top Go down

Post  bigkevin112 Sun Mar 23, 2014 11:09 am

I got the mc tire unmounted, 85° valve stems installed, and ct mounted. I added 16oz of the car formula of ride-on into the tire for balancing. So far I have about 400 miles on the tire and loving it. Riding out on the highway with this ride-on and ct is super smooth. Turning I feel like isn't any different then it was on the mc tire. I think a lot of that has to with how this tire doesn't have big shoulders. Personally I'm running the psi at 44 cold and the tire seems to do well there. Here is some pictures of my install.
New the the forum, about to go Dark! IMG_20140318_113005
New the the forum, about to go Dark! IMG_20140318_112931
New the the forum, about to go Dark! IMG_20140318_130053
New the the forum, about to go Dark! IMG_20140318_132648

bigkevin112

Back to top Go down

Post  wayne Sat Apr 05, 2014 8:19 am

The Defender is one of the best tires I have ran. And I have ran about 8 or9 tires, just to see how the work, and which work the best.

wayne

Number of posts : 623
Registration date : 2007-12-18

Back to top Go down

Post  tagrider Fri Apr 18, 2014 2:02 pm

It's finally time to do this. Been so busy, no time. And when I do have time I decide to ride instead! Now that I have a second bike, it's time to get this done and form my own opinion....

tagrider

Back to top Go down

Post  tagrider Fri May 02, 2014 9:26 pm

Finally!!! Git about 100 miles on it, plan to do 200 more tomorrow
New the the forum, about to go Dark! 0425141742

tagrider

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down