Defective? tire

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Defective? tire

Post  Fred405 on Sat Dec 28, 2013 2:13 pm

I purchased the famous 195/55R-16 Michelin Primacy Alpin PA3 ZP Run Flat last spring from Tire Rack. I did not need it right away but I wanted it on hand if I needed it for an emergency. We had a long, two up, loaded with luggage ride coming up and the E3 that was on the bike was about gone. I have two rims so when I got the CT I had a local shop mount it and put Balance Beads in it. When I swapped it out I put 32 psi and have nothing but great things to say about the tire. After about 1K of riding and the day before the big ride I go to check the pressure and I find a bulge in the sidewall from the rim about 2" long. So off the stealership I go and have a Stoner put on my other rim.

The question is can I get a replacement? I'm assuming the shop damaged it when installing it but I won't know until it's off the rim. Has anyone had any experience with this?

Thanks and Happy New Year!

Fred405

Number of posts : 6
Registration date : 2009-12-29

Back to top Go down

Re: Defective? tire

Post  coldweatherfreak on Sun Dec 29, 2013 10:45 pm

pics of bulge?

I see a lot of tires of cars and trucks that have what I am told is a cosmetic blemish, the tires on my van instead of bulges have constricted spots in the sidewalls
coldweatherfreak

Number of posts : 155
Registration date : 2010-12-02

Back to top Go down

Post  robw on Mon Dec 30, 2013 7:53 pm

Can't give a good answer without seeing it. If you can, post a picture.
robw

Number of posts : 85
Registration date : 2009-01-17

Back to top Go down

Post  Fred405 on Mon Dec 30, 2013 10:08 pm

I would love to post a pic or two but I cannot get the thing to work...  banghd

Fred405

Back to top Go down

side wall issues

Post  genedjr on Mon Dec 30, 2013 11:08 pm

Actually there is almost no way to damage the sidewall while mounting (yes I know people can be creative). I would suggest that you ask for a replacement. DO NOT tell them is was on a motorcycle - as that is an unintended use. But hey, I have heard great things about Tire Rack - I expect you to get great service. Please let us know.

...gene
genedjr

Number of posts : 50
Registration date : 2013-11-13

Back to top Go down

Post  toolsbody on Tue Jan 07, 2014 12:14 pm

Fred405 wrote:I purchased the famous 195/55R-16 Michelin Primacy Alpin PA3 ZP Run Flat last spring from Tire Rack.  I did not need it right away but I wanted it on hand if I needed it for an emergency.  We had a long, two up, loaded with luggage ride coming up and the E3 that was on the bike was about gone.  I have two rims so when I got the CT I had a local shop mount it and put Balance Beads in it.  When I swapped it out I put 32 psi and have nothing but great things to say about the tire.  After about 1K of riding and the day before the big ride I go to check the pressure and I find a bulge in the sidewall from the rim about 2" long.  So off the stealership I go and have a Stoner put on my other rim.  

The question is can I get a replacement?  I'm assuming the shop damaged it when installing it but I won't know until it's off the rim.  Has anyone had any experience with this?

Thanks and Happy New Year!
There is a bulge that's nothing to worry about. This is what I was told by the local tire dealer that I didn't buy the tire from so he has no reason not to give his honest opinion. I took my 165/80-15 Nexen tire that I put on my Shadow to him and he looked at it and then felt of it. He said this kind of bulge is a result of where the tire was put together and not to worry about it as long as it didn't keep getting bigger. I've got some over 2000 miles so far and I can't tell any difference in it. Also this kind of bulge is identified by looking on the other side in the same place and see if you can see any bulge at all. The bulge on the tire is visible and it runs from the tread all the way across to the rim. This may be the same kind you got.
toolsbody

Number of posts : 30
Registration date : 2013-05-30

Back to top Go down

Post  Fred405 on Tue Jan 07, 2014 2:34 pm

I contacted Tire Rack and they said not to use it, mark the area that has the issue and dismount and inspect.  If no mounting damage is found I get with them to have someone inspect and decide what they will do.  They are being very good so far. I just need to find the time to get it dis mounted. 

Fred.

Fred405

Back to top Go down

Post  Fred405 on Wed Jan 15, 2014 12:06 am

I finally got it to the shop that had it mounted and had it removed from the rim. He has a guy with a motorcycle tire machine do his work for him. Anyway he took a 3 to 4 inch chunk out of the bead when he mounted it. Without asking he said he will replace it. This is the type of shop I like to deal with, small independent. If the tire guy who screwed it up the first time does not want to mount the new one I have another independent shop I trust to do it.

Thanks for all your help!

Fred405

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top