Another reason for DS

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Another reason for DS

Post  rmccutchan on Mon Jun 24, 2013 8:04 am

Just found this on my stepson's bike.  Too bad we can't put a car tire on the front.  Or can we? hmmm   I don't recall seeing this on too many car tires.

rmccutchan

Number of posts : 39
Registration date : 2013-03-22

Back to top Go down

Re: Another reason for DS

Post  grumpybutt on Mon Jun 24, 2013 5:21 pm

That's what I'm looking into now, yes a car tire on the front, in reality I don't think that's going to be to hard to do.  hmmm

grumpybutt

Number of posts : 35
Registration date : 2011-02-02

Back to top Go down

Post  rmccutchan on Mon Jun 24, 2013 5:40 pm

Seriously!?!?  Please keep us posted.  I have been wondering why it won't work on the front as well as the rear.
rmccutchan

Back to top Go down

Post  quadancer on Mon Jun 24, 2013 9:01 pm

REALLY??? First off, you gotta be shittin' me about a CT on the front. Might as well ride a tractor. Double Darkside is a CT on rear, rear MT on front, because
THAT IS WHAT WORKS. Secondly, who, in their RIGHT mind, runs a tire down to zero tread?
As ol' Forrest Gump's mama said, "Stoopid is as stoopid does."
Sorry, but I see some serious dummmmazz going on here that I do not wish to share a lane with. Period.
Tell that sorry azz to get off the road; I'm not kidding, he's not smart enough to be out here with the rest of us, the cages, or himself. REALLY!

Has this kid ever heard of TCLOCK??? DAMN, this shit pisses me off.
var vglnk = { api_url: 'http://api.viglink.com/api', key: 'a187ca0f52aa99eb8b5c172d5d93c05b' };
quadancer

Number of posts : 1245
Registration date : 2010-05-02

Back to top Go down

Post  rmccutchan on Mon Jun 24, 2013 9:12 pm

Who said anything about zero tread?  That is the side wall that decided to take a split.  There is still plenty of tread left.
rmccutchan

Back to top Go down

Post  quadancer on Mon Jun 24, 2013 9:38 pm

Okay, hard to tell what's going on in that pic, but it looks like he rode it to hell and kept going. Nonetheless, I think a CT on the front is gonna have to
be clunky, and that my be just okay for the flower sniffers, leaf gawkers, and photographers. I mean, they DID do that back in the "day" before the so-
called "evolution" of "bike" tires, so it shouldn't kill anybody. But to ride like you HAVE a pair? No freakin' way, in my mind. Again, that may work for the
mainstream "biker" who can just go from A to B and not DIE, but to actually have handling; I doubt it, and others who tried it confirm it.
Admittedly; those "others" were in the day of tires that popped. And cars backfired.
All I ask is that folks READ UP before making decisions, so that the virtually perfect record of CT's on MC's does not become tarnished due to bad decisions. My
concern is that we already have enough bad press from people who have never ever, nor ever will, try it.

var vglnk = { api_url: 'http://api.viglink.com/api', key: 'a187ca0f52aa99eb8b5c172d5d93c05b' };
quadancer

Number of posts : 1245
Registration date : 2010-05-02

Back to top Go down

Post  rmccutchan on Mon Jun 24, 2013 10:30 pm

I guess it does look like a bald tire at first glance.  One of the reasons I posted this picture, here and on the Star forum, is as a reminder to check things out.  I am always looking, but I think we all occasionally get a little relaxed in our daily inspections (TCLOCK).  This stuff ain't nothing to mess with!  One oversight like a split in a tire can turn deadly in an instant.  Some people don't realize how important things like this are.  BTW-the bike is parked until we get a new tire on for him.
rmccutchan

Back to top Go down

Post  grumpybutt on Tue Jun 25, 2013 1:44 am

Ya and your going nah crash and burn if you put a car tire on the back !!! I'm 70, back in the day when you couldn't get M/C tires for your scoot, what did they put on than ? Look up some old pics back in the 50s or so.

grumpybutt

Number of posts : 35
Registration date : 2011-02-02

Back to top Go down

Post  coldweatherfreak on Tue Jun 25, 2013 7:23 am

that tire looks 20 years old to me, a 20 year old car tire would do the same thing

rmccutchan wrote:Just found this on my stepson's bike.  Too bad we can't put a car tire on the front.  Or can we? hmmm   I don't recall seeing this on too many car tires.

coldweatherfreak

Number of posts : 155
Registration date : 2010-12-02

Back to top Go down

Post  rrounds on Tue Jun 25, 2013 11:16 am

My dad and grandfather rode from before WWII to the well into the '70's and both had ct's on both ends of the bikes back in the day.
Here is a guy that put two ct's on his MP3 scooter and he likes the way it rides and handles.
 http://modernvespa.com/forum/topic98755.2?highlight=darkside

ROD

rrounds

Number of posts : 256
Registration date : 2008-06-06

Back to top Go down

Post  Doc on Tue Jun 25, 2013 10:10 pm

coldweatherfreak wrote:that tire looks 20 years old to me, a 20 year old car tire would do the same thing

rmccutchan wrote:Just found this on my stepson's bike.  Too bad we can't put a car tire on the front.  Or can we? hmmm   I don't recall seeing this on too many car tires.

I'm curious about the date code on that tire too.

2012 Goldwing Candy Red
Michelin Alpin PA3 195/55/16   The Darkside... Ain't nothin' but a rubber thang...  Vader
Doc
Admin
Admin

Number of posts : 1069
Registration date : 2008-04-21

Back to top Go down

Post  rmccutchan on Wed Jun 26, 2013 5:49 am

According to the number my stepson sent me, it is a 2006. While that is old in motorcycle tire years, I don't think it should be splitting like that, especially since the bike has been garaged most of the time since the tire was put on. It has been sitting out since this spring, but he keeps a cover on it. When we changed the tires on our Ford Escape, they were 10 years old and had 70,000 miles on it, and they still looked good, other than the tread getting thin.

I have a 1988 VLX that I haven't ridden in 3 years, except for 5 miles this spring. The date on it's front tire is 2000. The tread is thin, but otherwise it still looks great.

I bought my 2007 V Star new in 2012 (old stock), and the date on the front tire is 2006. It has 9,000 miles on it and still looks great. It is the same brand and year as the tire in the picture above, so now I'm thinking it may be time to replace it, just in case. I inspect my bike frequently, and I haven't noticed anything yet. Any thoughts on that?
rmccutchan

Back to top Go down

Post  Metalman on Tue Oct 15, 2013 9:10 pm

I too have had problems over the years with MT spitting. I even had a BT-45 (mounted on the front) with less than 10K split in the tread grooves. It was a 2009 in 2012. The bike only sees the sun when it is ridden, otherwise it's in the garage and not near a source of ozone. I think the relatively stiff (hard) compounds used in motorcycle tires and the higher pressure than most CTs used, contributes to splitting.

Metalman

Number of posts : 51
Location : Hernando Beach, FL (winter); Rineyville, KY (summer)
Registration date : 2009-02-05

Back to top Go down

Post  bandito_two on Wed Oct 23, 2013 9:07 pm

Elevated temperatures, ozone and UV will speed tire deterioration. Bikes need the rounded profile of a MC tire up front for smoother SAFER turn transition. While a car tire >might< work, the handling would likely be difficult and require too much attention to be safe. I would recommend that you do not do that. Instead, a MC rear tire mounted on the front would be more like what you would want to do.

There are differing opinions as to which rotation direction to mount a rear MC tire up front. I had mine mounted in the normal direction as the tread is designed to evacuate water best in forward rotation. Remember that even when mounted on the rear of a bike, there are also forces acting on that rear tire in braking which is in the opposite direction from acceleration forces. Even more so on a larger heavier bike, especially if it is heavily laden with a passenger and extra gear. Rear tires work just fine getting worked by forces in both directions on heavy bikes.

The bike I have a rear tire mounted up front on is much smaller and lighter and I don't carry a passenger. Still I don't think even that matters that much. On the rear, the forces work the tire in both directions, while on the front it is freewheeling and mostly only gets force put to it when braking; and that is mostly after the engine and rear wheel have already slowed the bike down. The point is that the front tire does not get stressed as much as the rear tire. This becomes evident if you stop and think about it; a front tire even if slightly taller is narrower, probably with tread not as deep as the rear yet typically lasts twice as long as the rear tire which is much wider and usually has a deeper tread.

So, on the much larger, heavier bikes, mounting a rear tire up front in reverse rotation makes sense to some guys. Then there are others who would mount it in normal rotation for many of the same reasons I did.

Just my thoughts on the matter, but do as you will.
bandito_two

Number of posts : 43
Registration date : 2008-07-11

Back to top Go down

Splitting tires

Post  Khuts on Wed Jan 28, 2015 4:27 am

Hello;

Just wanted to put in my 2 cents to this post  2cents

Whenever I purchase a new tire for my car/truck or motorcycle
here in Canada anyways it always comes with a tattooed number
on one side of it's carcass. I have seen myself do a quick search  study
for the manufacture date and pass on any tires that are 5 or more years old  No (even if it's a helluva sale).

Why ?

Things like;

a) where was / how was this tire stored for those 4-5 years  hmmm
       (was it in a extremely hot warehouse that baked it everyday)
b) an older stored tire has a better chance of drying out and become
  a hulk of dry rot
c) if your a weekend warrior a 5 year old tire gets ancient fast
d) has there been any new technology  Idea  in the industry within the last 5 years

I do run a CT on the back of my Vulcan 2 litre and I tried running a rear tire on the front
in reverse but changed it back to running directional due to a personal choice.
but all my tires are checked before purchase, and are monitored throughout their life
until I see cracks starting to form or any issue that informs me of a dangerous tire.

I think the problem could be easily avoided if a constant diligent quick inspection is followed
every time you want to take the bike out.
The 2-3 minutes taken every time develops into a rhythm/habit that will save your life thumbup

"When in doubt, throw the old carcass out"

Cheers
Khuts
Khuts

Number of posts : 26
Registration date : 2011-04-28

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top