05 FLTR Road Glide

Go down

05 FLTR Road Glide

Post  KLR650 on Fri Jun 07, 2013 3:55 pm

I currently am running on the darkside on my sport tourer and love it so much I'd like to do the same with my Road Glide. It uses a stock tire of MT90B-16 77H. Can anyone recommend a good CT for use on this machine? I am almost due for a replacement rear tire which is what I have been waiting for so hopefully someone on here can recommend something.

Teach

KLR650

Number of posts : 5
Registration date : 2011-05-03

Back to top Go down

Re: 05 FLTR Road Glide

Post  quadancer on Sat Jun 08, 2013 9:14 pm

+Ok, here's the lowdown as I percieve it: the Vredestein 175/75/16 is discontinued, and leaves us with the 175/16 Dunlop for over $215 or the Austone for $185, which has some wobble
problems at high speeds with some of them. After that, there is the Coker Blackwall 175/R/16, at mucho dinero.
The Nokian I've been talikng about is out of stock with TiresByWeb, the only dealer...an d will come in at a later date, upon which I will JUMP at the opportunity.
http://www.nokiantires.com/tyre?id=11896&group=3.02&name=Nokian+Hakka+C+Cargo

https://www.universaltire.com/dunlop-tires/dunlop-radial-tires/175r16-dunlop-taxi-black.html

https://www.universaltire.com/dunlop-tires/dunlop-radial-tires/175r16-austone-taxi-black.html

I got others, but seem to be unavailable. -g
quadancer

Number of posts : 1245
Registration date : 2010-05-02

Back to top Go down

Post  KLR650 on Sun Jun 09, 2013 1:09 pm

First off thanks for your reply and info. I wish I knew more on the HD production history. I believe my 05 FLTR Road Glide has the narrower tire than the tires that come stock on the newer models from (I think) 2009 onward.

I checked out the links you provided. The Austone looks just about perfect looking at it's tread pattern and profile. It looks like it would give good life of the tire and have lots of rubber on the outer surfaces. Not sure what to think of the Dunlop Taxi especially at that price. Are they made to be an especially long wearing tire?

The Nokian has a very very similar profile and tread profile as the Federal tire that I run on my sport touring Concours (06). But as stated above the 05 FLTR has the narrower tire than the new models and the Nokian tire appears to only be available in a starting width of a 185 75 16 which is wider than the 175 series tires making me wonder if there would be enough room in the swing arm for clearance. Is it possible that the tire is available in a 175 version but is not shown because as you stated it is out of stock? The list here does not make it look like the 175 is available;

http://www.tiresbyweb.com/p-8963-nokian-hakka-c-cargo-tires.aspx

Have you or others run this Nokian tire yet to prove out it's fit or is this simply one option that is being considered but not yet tried/proven?

Thanks again.

KLR650

Back to top Go down

Post  quadancer on Sun Jun 09, 2013 4:36 pm

I haven't seen it in a 175 on Tires by Web and it's not for sale anywhere else here.
Not enough reports on the Dunnie for us to judge by - not many wanting to pay that price.
You do know about the highspeed wobble on some of the Austones. Computer balance and RideOn helps that a lot.
(mine is/was a wobbler) I want to find something else tho - sometimes I wanna DO 115 or so.
quadancer

Back to top Go down

Post  KLR650 on Sun Jun 09, 2013 6:42 pm

First thing I would try with your wobbler is to dismount it and re mount it with the hopes that the tire isn't seated fully in one or more spots. A re mounting can sometimes overcome that. Sometimes not. Might be worth a try.

KLR650

Back to top Go down

Post  quadancer on Mon Jun 10, 2013 7:42 am

The Aussie slipped on easily with little pressure. You can check a tire by spinning it and watching the bead line next to the bead to see if it runs straight.
I tried dynabeads to little effect, since they won't cure lateral imbalance, but after computer balance and putting RideOn in, I gained another 15 mph
before she gets loose feeling. My assumption is that the thickness of the RideOn resisits lateral movement, where beads are free to roll. The wear on
this tire is perfectly even so far. Almost on the wear bars now.
quadancer

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down