Introduction

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Introduction

Post  fredintoon on Thu Jun 06, 2013 11:29 am

Hi Darksiders,
elderly sidecar rig rider just signed up, here's the rig

Joined the darkside years ago running TwinTires that wore like iron but you can't get them any more.
Alas that the very last of my TwinTire stash balded out last fall and I'm back to running a bike tire and living with lousy rear tire life.
My XS11 tug only has enough swingarm clearance to run the bike's stock 130/90-16 tire and I'm totally sold on tubeless.
Anyone know of a 130/90-16 tubeless tire that don't wear away like cheese?
Regards,
Fred.

fredintoon

Number of posts : 9
Registration date : 2013-06-06

Back to top Go down

intro to Fred

Post  Dan Koich on Thu Jun 06, 2013 9:14 pm

Fred: Does your Yamahahaha have a 3 inch or wider wide rim? If so, there are a couple of tires you can look at. The Dunlop Taxi tire and the Austone Taxi tire are both available in 175-75R 16 tubeless from Universal Vintage tires in Hersey Pa. Maybe they'll fit, I don't really know for sure. You'll need to do some research on the tire specs and measure the distances on your cycle. These are the smallest 16 inch tires that I'm aware of that are available in North America.

Dan Koich

Number of posts : 90
Registration date : 2011-04-03

Back to top Go down

Re: Introduction

Post  fredintoon on Fri Jun 07, 2013 12:10 am

Hi Dan,
yes, the bike's rear rim is 3" wide BUT the tire to swingarm clearance with a 130/90-16 tire is only ~1/4" each side. I could maybe get a 140/90-16 in there if I shaved the raised lettering off the sidewalls but that's it.
And yes, you can get old fashioned looking 5" x 16" flat tread tires but they ain't cheap, they may not wear well and they certainly ain't tubeless. Looks like I'm screwed.
At least with being able to install TwinTires when they were still available I'm better off than our 15" wheeled brothers who gotta take a 1/16" skim off their rear wheel rims or build up a hybrid wheel to fit those 1/8" smaller 15" car tires.

fredintoon

Number of posts : 9
Registration date : 2013-06-06

Back to top Go down

intro to Fred

Post  Dan Koich on Fri Jun 07, 2013 8:00 am

Quadancer: How many inches wide is your Austone when mounted? That's on a 3.5 inch rim if I remember correctly. Maybe having that measurement will help Fred determine if he can get one on his Yamahahaha.

Dan Koich

Number of posts : 90
Registration date : 2011-04-03

Back to top Go down

Post  quadancer on Sat Jun 08, 2013 9:16 pm

Aw sheet; I'm goin' to bed, but if I'm right, it was about 6-3/8".
quadancer

Number of posts : 1245
Registration date : 2010-05-02

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top