Insurance

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Insurance

Post  rmccutchan on Tue Apr 02, 2013 6:57 am

I know this has been discussed before, but I just wanted to re-state with something current as I have not heard it worded the way my insurance company did (04-01-2013).

Someone questioned me this weekend about whether or not insurance companies will cover you if you are on the dark side. I thought they would, but didn't think about it when I installed the tire. So I got a little nervous and called Progressive yesterday. The girl on the phone asked her manager, and they said if the tire is purchased as a street legal tire for ANY vehicle, and has not been modified, then they my coverage would not be affected. I'm not sure how one would modify the tire, but I guess some do?? She said even a racing tire would be fine if it is legal to run on the street. So I guess if you could fit a street legal tractor tire under the fender, it would be covered too. Shrug

I asked if they had anything they could send me in writing, but she said there is nothing to send. She went on further to say if it does NOT exclude it in the policy, then that IS the "in writing". But I may still send them an email so they can reply to me and have it writing that way.

Just thought I'd pass along the info.
rmccutchan

Number of posts : 39
Registration date : 2013-03-22

Back to top Go down

Re: Insurance

Post  Doc on Tue Apr 02, 2013 1:41 pm

I've said for years if it is not specifically excluded in plain language in your insurance policy then you are covered. thumbup

2012 Goldwing Candy Red
Michelin Alpin PA3 195/55/16   The Darkside... Ain't nothin' but a rubber thang...  Vader
Doc
Admin
Admin

Number of posts : 1069
Registration date : 2008-04-21

Back to top Go down

Post  Oldstatik on Mon Apr 15, 2013 9:19 am

I rang Insure My Ride yesterday as the missus said to make sure before putting my second Khumo CT on the Rocket. Their reply was "If the tyre is legal and the bike will pass rego, its all okay". I then checked with our State Bike Modifications rules and NSW RTA site states " the tyre must be suitable for the rim and strong enough to support the machine when it is fully loaded." As far as I'm concerned, I'm covered.

Oldstatik

Number of posts : 1
Registration date : 2013-04-15

Back to top Go down

Post  quadancer on Mon Apr 15, 2013 8:50 pm

I''ll reprint in a more subtle manner after blasting your ass off the planet. First off, your bike should be YOURS, not HERs. Secondly, YOUR choice of a CT is most probably
from conviction from the 99% of us who will NEVER go back to a BT because it IS NOT AS SAFE as a CT for cruisers up to Sport/Cruisers. So therefore, IF you guys actually
READ most of the CT forums, and decided to switch, HAS IT NEVER OCCURRED TO YOU that the more of you who call your insurance people, call the gov't, or call the tire
manufacturors; might actually be causing NEGATIVE LEGISLATION to be incurred on the REST OF US who have tested, proven, committed, and totally BELIEVE in, the use
of CT's on the back of our bikes???
Do you really think that WE, the DARKSIDERS, are just a small group of WildMen/Women who are so crazy that we will just put ANYTHING on the back of our bikes to just
make some kind of a POINT? REALLY?
I know most "bikers" are just on a bike to "save gas", or "keep up with friends" or "be cool", but let me tell you guys something: When I am blippin' the throttle at 70+ in
a big sweeper, and the road is a bit damp or totally wet, DO YOU THINK I AM DOING THIS BECAUSE I'M STOOPID?
GROW a pair. Or leave the rest of us alone.
End Rant.
[u][i]
Dood, this may have not been your thoughts, but it's always on my mind when I see comments like this. Apologies if my rant is misdirected. I'm always ready to shoot
ANYONE who goes to the authorities over something that's none of their business. We all should know that insurance is just a game for making money. -g
quadancer

Number of posts : 1245
Registration date : 2010-05-02

Back to top Go down

Post  rmccutchan on Mon Apr 15, 2013 9:21 pm

quadancer wrote:I''ll reprint in a more subtle manner after blasting your ass off the planet. First off, your bike should be YOURS, not HERs. Secondly, YOUR choice of a CT is most probably
from conviction from the 99% of us who will NEVER go back to a BT because it IS NOT AS SAFE as a CT for cruisers up to Sport/Cruisers. So therefore, IF you guys actually
READ most of the CT forums, and decided to switch, HAS IT NEVER OCCURRED TO YOU that the more of you who call your insurance people, call the gov't, or call the tire
manufacturors; might actually be causing NEGATIVE LEGISLATION to be incurred on the REST OF US who have tested, proven, committed, and totally BELIEVE in, the use
of CT's on the back of our bikes???
Do you really think that WE, the DARKSIDERS, are just a small group of WildMen/Women who are so crazy that we will just put ANYTHING on the back of our bikes to just
make some kind of a POINT? REALLY?
I know most "bikers" are just on a bike to "save gas", or "keep up with friends" or "be cool", but let me tell you guys something: When I am blippin' the throttle at 70+ in
a big sweeper, and the road is a bit damp or totally wet, DO YOU THINK I AM DOING THIS BECAUSE I'M STOOPID?
GROW a pair. Or leave the rest of us alone.
End Rant.
[u][i]
Dood, this may have not been your thoughts, but it's always on my mind when I see comments like this. Apologies if my rant is misdirected. I'm always ready to shoot
ANYONE who goes to the authorities over something that's none of their business. -g

Well....I DO work for the government and enforce codes and regulations, and I can tell you first hand it is a FACT that if you get caught with your pants down, you will DEFINITELY get blasted. If people prove to me what they are doing satisfies the manufactures specs, they are good to go. A lot of violations we write, believe it or not, help keep people OUT of court. But NOOOO.....don't help me do that.....let me fall flat on my face and get fined 50 thousand bucks, that is MUCH better. At least I did it MY way, right?? These days, you have to be ahead of the game or you lose. Plain and simple. People can say "just leave me alone" all they want to, but that don't work any more. I called my insurance company and made them tell me it is ok to do what I did, and now the precedence has been set for me and others. That is why I documented the conversation. I posted it here so someone else could print it off and have record of it also if they would like. You HAVE to cover your ass nowadays. Period. It would just be my luck, in the unfortunate event of an accident, I would get some young dumbass insurance adjuster who's girlfriend was stolen by some dude on a bike, and had a mad on at anyone who owned a bike. He would say "that's not a legal tire, so no coverage". Then I get sued and lose everything. Think that don't happen?? It does. Now I have documented statements that will keep me protected.

Yes, the bike is mine, not theirs, but just in case someone doesn't know, the insurance companies help write the traffic laws. Shocked Shocked I prefer to make SURE I'm protected.

BTW....I REALLY DO appreciate all the great information here. I was just trying to pay it forward.

End rant.
rmccutchan

Back to top Go down

Post  quadancer on Wed Apr 17, 2013 8:24 pm

I totally get the 'bad day' concept for a cop or insurance adjuster, but exceptions are not the norm. In all the years, I've noticed that whenever people start having
fun with something (parties at the quarry, dirt bike trails, whatever), then sooner or later, word gets out and sure enuff, here come the cops and shut it down.
I've even seen a tree cut down at the skinny dipping creek because it had a rope hanging from it we swung on. I think it's just a matter of time before some damn
'college boys' at a desk somewhere decide that they know what is good for us and legislate against what they know absolutely nothing about.
Watch. It's coming.

Edit: whilst I may not prefer your direction there, I do give you kudos for cohones. At least you ain't C.S. Still, what you did has been done before, even on this
very forum, as I recall. The info is there many times over. yes
quadancer

Back to top Go down

Post  rmccutchan on Wed Apr 17, 2013 10:48 pm

Yes, there is always some idiot who wants to spoil everybody's fun, and it usually centers around some new way to make an extra buck or two, and I DO believe it's coming, which is why I wanted to make sure the rules hadn't changed yet. It would also be my luck that legislation changed the day after I did it banghd I know it has been discussed a lot, but I just wanted to post some recent information. And I DO see your point about not drawing attention to the subject, but I've also seen what happens to people who are uninformed.

I regulate elevators and amusement rides, and I frequently see people who are not prepared get nailed. My bosses really don't care. Their answers are: "They should have done their research", and often times they were not even told their device had to be inspected or regulated!! I deal with this crap daily and I know first hand how these systems work. I try to be as helpful as I can, but once it goes over my head, there isn't much I can do about it. We just had a company get fined $2,000 this week because they weren't prepared. (see what I mean.....always leads back to the money!! Suspect )

I RELLY do appreciate you pioneers who were brave enough to go where not many have gone before and take a trip to the dark side. I've been anxious to do the same, but did not have the opportunity until now. Thanks!!
rmccutchan

Back to top Go down

re insurance

Post  Larry Simpson on Thu Apr 18, 2013 11:42 am

Never hurts to keep up with current laws,thanks for your effort. thumbup thumbup
Larry Simpson

Number of posts : 1007
Registration date : 2008-08-18

Back to top Go down

Post  quadancer on Thu Apr 18, 2013 9:02 pm

That's true, but I still think we're walking on eggshells here. I think the less attention, the longer we ride safe. I've mentioned before what I t hink will happen: the insurance co.
will see a profitable situation, get in league with lawmakers (again), and tire manufacturors, and decree that we can only run MT's on bikes...which will inevitably lead to some
compound improvements to BT's, getting closer to the CT's, and will cost even more than standard BT's do now.
So we will end up PAYING MORE for what we already have and know to be safer.
OTOH, they have to catch me.
quadancer

Back to top Go down

Post  rmccutchan on Thu Apr 18, 2013 10:51 pm

quadancer wrote:
OTOH, they have to catch me.

Something tells me that is going to be a challenge! Twisted Evil

Your'e prolly right, though. It seems to be the American way is to take something good and totally ruin it with regulations so someone can make a ton of money off of it and keep total control of everythng. Remember George Orwells 1984?? I know we are just talking about tires here, but where does it end???
rmccutchan

Back to top Go down

Post  quadancer on Fri Apr 19, 2013 9:45 pm

Ha! You totally GET IT! Orwell wasn't too far off, was he?
Still, he couldnt' possibly have forseen the diabolical gov't. takeover coming from the direction it is coming from - economic collapse...but DON'T get me started!
quadancer

Back to top Go down

Post  seabeechief on Sat Apr 20, 2013 10:50 am

rmccutchan wrote:I know this has been discussed before, but I just wanted to re-state with something current as I have not heard it worded the way my insurance company did (04-01-2013).

Someone questioned me this weekend about whether or not insurance companies will cover you if you are on the dark side. I thought they would, but didn't think about it when I installed the tire. So I got a little nervous and called Progressive yesterday. The girl on the phone asked her manager, and they said if the tire is purchased as a street legal tire for ANY vehicle, and has not been modified, then they my coverage would not be affected. I'm not sure how one would modify the tire, but I guess some do?? She said even a racing tire would be fine if it is legal to run on the street. So I guess if you could fit a street legal tractor tire under the fender, it would be covered too. Shrug

I asked if they had anything they could send me in writing, but she said there is nothing to send. She went on further to say if it does NOT exclude it in the policy, then that IS the "in writing". But I may still send them an email so they can reply to me and have it writing that way.

I talked to my insurance agent yesterday. I have had this State Farm agent for 35+ years. He told me unequivocally that having a car tire on my motorcycle would have NO effect on ANY claim I may have on my bike. AS long at the tire is DOT approved, my agent and State Farm has problems or issues with it.

Chief
seabeechief

Number of posts : 14
Registration date : 2013-04-20

Back to top Go down

Post  quadancer on Sat Apr 20, 2013 8:05 pm

It's a lot of the danged MT's they should be concerned about! PLENTY of failures there!
quadancer

Back to top Go down

Post  seabeechief on Sat Apr 20, 2013 9:48 pm

seabeechief wrote:
rmccutchan wrote:I know this has been discussed before, but I just wanted to re-state with something current as I have not heard it worded the way my insurance company did (04-01-2013).

I talked to my insurance agent yesterday. I have had this State Farm agent for 35+ years. He told me unequivocally that having a car tire on my motorcycle would have NO effect on ANY claim I may have on my bike. AS long at the tire is DOT approved, my agent and State Farm has problems or issues with it.

Chief

Oops! Shrug I should have written "my agent and State Farm have NO problems are issues with it". A mind is a terrible thing to lose.

Chief
seabeechief

Back to top Go down

Post  seabeechief on Sat Apr 20, 2013 9:50 pm

Crap! no problems OR issues with it. I need a drink.

Chief
seabeechief

Back to top Go down

Post  grumpybutt on Mon Apr 22, 2013 5:59 pm

Well guys I'm 70, ride all most every day. Have a 205/50/17 General G-Max on the rear of my Rune with a 160/60/18 rear tire on the front. "Darkide" is nothing new, back in the days, say 50 years or so was common to have a car tire on a scooter. never has been an insurance problem as far as I can remember.

grumpybutt

Number of posts : 35
Registration date : 2011-02-02

Back to top Go down

Post  rmccutchan on Tue Apr 23, 2013 4:54 pm

grumpybutt wrote:never has been an insurance problem as far as I can remember.

The main reason I even checked is that my step son heard some people had trouble with getting insurance to pay if they had a car tire. I think someone was pulling his leg.....probably one of those people who say it ain't right and can't be done and that whoever does will die in a big fiery crash and go up in a big ball of flames. I dunno, but I wanted to find out for myself.
rmccutchan

Back to top Go down

Post  quadancer on Tue Apr 23, 2013 10:07 pm

That's more than likely it, but I like to point out "blowouts"!
You guys near MY age can remember having to decide wether you heard a "blowout", a "backfire", or someone shooting a GUN? Since the advent of electronic ignition,
injection, mass air sensors, and city gun laws, you just DON'T hear those daily 'BANGS' anymore.
My point is this: the tires made TODAY don't generally 'blow out'. There is a HUGE difference between the CT's run on bike in 'yesteryear' (think VW beetles) and TODAY.
You can't freakin' HURT these things!
quadancer

Back to top Go down

Post  rmccutchan on Wed Apr 24, 2013 7:06 am

quadancer wrote:.

Modern tires DO seem to be indestructible. I've never had a tire failure, and I've been driving for more than 30 years. But semi tires are a different story.....what the hell are they making THOSE things made of???? Paper?? They don't just blow out, they explode! I spend a LOT of time on interstates here in Indiana, and our roads are full of alligators! If there are any regulations to be done on tires, it should be to those tires. I heard one explode last year on the other side of the interstate.....holy crap! I about jumped out of my skin, as well as the drivers of twenty other cars whose brake lights came on. I would hate to be near one while on a bike when it went.

rmccutchan

Back to top Go down

Post  rrounds on Wed Apr 24, 2013 12:01 pm

rmccutchan wrote:
quadancer wrote:.

Modern tires DO seem to be indestructible. I've never had a tire failure, and I've been driving for more than 30 years. But semi tires are a different story.....what the hell are they making THOSE things made of???? Paper?? They don't just blow out, they explode! I spend a LOT of time on interstates here in Indiana, and our roads are full of alligators! If there are any regulations to be done on tires, it should be to those tires. I heard one explode last year on the other side of the interstate.....holy crap! I about jumped out of my skin, as well as the drivers of twenty other cars whose brake lights came on. I would hate to be near one while on a bike when it went.

I drove a over the road truck for 26 years and the number one killer of tires is HEAT. I check my air pressure before I ride or drive with a gauge but after I'm on the road I use my hand to feel the tires and see how hot they are. After a doing this for awhile you will be able to tell if you need air in your tires without even looking at a air pressure gauge.

As for all the truck rubber on the road, over 90% of it is because of low air pressure and heat build up in the tire. Most of it could be eliminated if the DOT would mandate tire low air pressure warning devices in all trucks, old and new.

ROD

rrounds

Number of posts : 256
Registration date : 2008-06-06

Back to top Go down

Post  rmccutchan on Wed Apr 24, 2013 12:21 pm

rrounds wrote:
I drove a over the road truck for 26 years and the number one killer of tires is HEAT. I check my air pressure before I ride or drive with a gauge but after I'm on the road I use my hand to feel the tires and see how hot they are. After a doing this for awhile you will be able to tell if you need air in your tires without even looking at a air pressure gauge.

As for all the truck rubber on the road, over 90% of it is because of low air pressure and heat build up in the tire. Most of it could be eliminated if the DOT would mandate tire low air pressure warning devices in all trucks, old and new.

ROD

Huh....learn something everyday. I would have thought the opposite would have been true: higher pressure=more heat. But I guess more flexing of the rubber would contribute to more heat. Makes sense, and now I am curious, so I will be feeling my tires every time I ride. thumbup Would the tire build a lot of heat if the pressure was excessively high too?
rmccutchan

Back to top Go down

Post  quadancer on Wed Apr 24, 2013 8:43 pm

No, it would just generate it's heat in the bulging contact area that it's wearing out from overpressure. On our bikes, the only damaging air pressure would be too low, causing
wallowing in the sweepers that could get you killed. We just don't weigh enough to heat a CT - mine generally run 114 degrees in summer.
9 years and 1.5 million miles trucking and I'd say the number one importance in the preflight check was always tire pressure. Different world. One guy got on us over the CB about
"air pollution" from trucks...!...I explained to him that for his car to get the same mileage my truck (with a 444 Cummins) got, he would have to tow about 40 cars behind him.
People and their 'opinions'! Sheesh.
quadancer

Back to top Go down

Post  rmccutchan on Sun Apr 28, 2013 6:25 am

quadancer wrote:One guy got on us over the CB about
"air pollution" from trucks...!...I explained to him that for his car to get the same mileage my truck (with a 444 Cummins) got, he would have to tow about 40 cars behind him.

Besides that, a scientist told me that diesel engines put out biodegradable particulate matter more than harmful gasses like cars do, so in some respects, cars pollute more than semi's. If we ever get diesel bikes to go mainstream, I will be one of the first ones in line to buy one. thumbup
rmccutchan

Back to top Go down

Post  quadancer on Mon Apr 29, 2013 9:43 pm

There are clubs over in Germany (and maybe more) that are on these little 2 cyl. diesels, some of them look like choppers!
Really cute little dudes, but I noticed that most all of them use the same engine.
If you search (notice I didn't say "Gewgill") "diesel motorcycle", those are what you mostly come up with. Plus some experimentals.
quadancer

Back to top Go down

Post  rrounds on Mon Apr 29, 2013 11:22 pm

quadancer wrote:No, it would just generate it's heat in the bulging contact area that it's wearing out from overpressure. On our bikes, the only damaging air pressure would be too low, causing
wallowing in the sweepers that could get you killed. We just don't weigh enough to heat a CT - mine generally run 114 degrees in summer.
9 years and 1.5 million miles trucking and I'd say the number one importance in the preflight check was always tire pressure. Different world. One guy got on us over the CB about
Honda VT1100-T with a 175/75-16 Comtrac. In 80+ deg. weather I have seen my tire temp(sidewall) get up to 156 deg in 30 miles on the freeway, bike loaded for a week ride but not overloaded. I put 3 or 4 more pounds of air in the tire and the temp. came down to a much better 112 deg. On Goldwing 4 lbs can make a 100 degree difference in tire temp.

ROD

rrounds

Number of posts : 256
Registration date : 2008-06-06

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum: