Old School

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Old School

Post  quadancer on Fri Jan 25, 2013 9:52 pm

Bought a '72 Honda 500 four, "chopped" it, (bolt-on crap), put a dump gate setup on the exhaust, and tweaked the carbs.
Got stoopid around '72 or 3 and traded it even up for a basket case BSA 650 full-race chopper...built that and rode it (almost) around the USA, put more money into it than I
had in the new Hondu, then discovered Triumph 650 and 750's, became a mechanic at a dealer's, and built the world's most fantastic Trumpet 750, with aircraft electrics and
2" brass exhaust pipes made by a squid on a ship...sold that after a couple years to a 1st class Machinery Tech and heard he went around the USA!!! -and only the clutch nut came loose! I was SO
proud of that one! Hope my present Harley does so well!
Edit: this was Intended as a reply to the Honda shop thread...Oh well, I'm a pinhead this late...that said, I'll NEVER see my 5000 rpm, torque-cammed Harley downshift at 13k
like that little 500 would! But hey, I don't miss it either, as I pass you WITHOUT downshifting...(insert fat smiley here)...http://r24.imgfast.net/users/2913/72/12/20/smiles/1545927190.gif http://r24.imgfast.net/users/2913/72/12/20/smiles/1545927190.gif
quadancer

Number of posts : 1245
Registration date : 2010-05-02

Back to top Go down

old school

Post  Dan Koich on Tue Jan 29, 2013 9:39 am

So what cams do you have in your Herry? What other motor mods have you done? What's your displacement? Did you port your heads?

Dan Koich

Number of posts : 90
Registration date : 2011-04-03

Back to top Go down

Re: Old School

Post  quadancer on Wed Jan 30, 2013 8:38 pm

Only did cam chain tensioners, added Andrews 21 cams, and an oil pressure relief spring slug to raise pressure (and boy, did it EVER!).
Carb is rejetted of course, K&N air filter, birdcage, and my own modifed exhaust baffles for more torque. It works very well with the bigger rear tires.
I cruise often at 75-80 with no concern for the motor; it's not really revving that much, and always in it's power band.
Someday, I hope to bore it and rework the heads and valves...for...more torque.
quadancer

Number of posts : 1245
Registration date : 2010-05-02

Back to top Go down

Re: Old School

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top