Riding on the Darkside
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

front tire

4 posters

Go down

front tire Empty front tire

Post  Hammer Mon Jan 21, 2013 4:40 pm

What are you guys running on the front of your Liners when you have a CT on the rear?

Hammer

Number of posts : 4
Registration date : 2010-02-25

Back to top Go down

front tire Empty Re: front tire

Post  Steve-O Mon Jan 21, 2013 6:40 pm

Michelin Pilot Activ (130/70-18) rear tire, NOT turned around backwards on front at 41 PSI.
Michelin Hydroedge 215/60-17 on the back, 32 psi

Great combo. My fiance has a strat also. She has an mc tire on the back and the pilot up front. Great that way too.
Steve-O
Steve-O
Moderate user
Moderate user

Number of posts : 1153
Registration date : 2008-02-05

Back to top Go down

Post  quadancer Tue Jan 22, 2013 8:35 pm

I saw reviews on the Motorcycle Superstore site on the Shincko 777 and am glad I went for it. Sticks like glue to everything.
Not so sure about wear yet, but don't care at $80.00 - and that's on a Harley twistie ripper.
quadancer
quadancer

Number of posts : 1245
Registration date : 2010-05-02

Back to top Go down

front tire Empty not turned around

Post  Hammer Wed Jan 23, 2013 8:44 am

Why do you not have to turn this tire around when others say that is a must because of the way the belrs are ran?

Hammer

Number of posts : 4
Registration date : 2010-02-25

Back to top Go down

Post  quadancer Thu Jan 24, 2013 8:42 pm

It makes sense to turn them backwards for the brake loading imitating accelleration loading - but ...
a.) You put the tire wrong for the water dispersion, and
b.) No one seems to have had any problems running them in the forward direction.
I had a BS start to cup on me until I turned it back forwards.
quadancer
quadancer

Number of posts : 1245
Registration date : 2010-05-02

Back to top Go down

Post  Steve-O Fri Jan 25, 2013 8:28 am

One of the mc tire mfg's had on their web page to turn it backwards. Then they did some studies and retracted it.
It's an old urban myth based on fact. But it's no longer valid. Lot's of folks do it, swear by it. Not me.
It was my understanding that this started because of braking. That the rear tire was made to accelerate, and since the main function of the front tire is to decelerate, then you put it on backwards. Trouble with that theory is there is a back brake on bikes as well.
Put it on the way it was intended so that it channels water in the rain as it was designed. Just my opinion. I have two stratoliners with rear tires on the front installed correct directionally.
Steve-O
Steve-O
Moderate user
Moderate user

Number of posts : 1153
Registration date : 2008-02-05

Back to top Go down

Post  fredintoon Fri Jun 07, 2013 12:47 am

Hammer wrote:Why do you not have to turn this tire around when others say that is a must because of the way the belts are run?

Hi Hammer,
I reckon it's mostly BS. Back in the day when bikes ran the same size tires both ends Michelin bike tires had a double headed arrow with front on one end and rear on t'other so at least Michelin believed it back then.
OTOH there's an urban legend about a modern race tire that the smart riders installed backwards to the direction arrow because the sales guys had the arrow turned around because it looked faster when installed that way
But this is the darkside so let's look at car tires. They ain't directional. If they were you couldn't fit them whitewalls to the inside or swap them side to side.

fredintoon

Number of posts : 9
Registration date : 2013-06-06

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down