I hate to ask, but any suggestions on a Darksider for an 06 Ultra?

Go down

I hate to ask, but any suggestions on a Darksider for an 06 Ultra?

Post  poppabear on Tue Oct 02, 2012 7:59 pm

I have read here, but am seeing quite alot of conflicting info.

Would anyone know for sure which tire would fit an 06' Ultra?
I like the idea of the Michillin run flat, but don't know which one (or another brand), that would fit/perform correclty.

Also, really like the idea of a Double Darkside, any ideas on what MC rear tire to run on the front?
I have stock rims for my year model. I do ALOT of Slab riding 80%, and some mountain road, but I am
not a peg dragger, just enjoy ridding. Would love to not have to replace the tire(s) especially the rear
every 5k or so...

In regards to the above, would I need "Inner tubes" for the rear tire (and front)?, would I need Dyna beads?
if so how many oz. in the front and back?

Sorry if the questions are basic, but I ride alot, but really don't know alot about mechanics, usually just pay the man that does.

Scott

poppabear

Number of posts : 3
Registration date : 2012-10-02

Back to top Go down

Re: I hate to ask, but any suggestions on a Darksider for an 06 Ultra?

Post  jedishon on Wed Oct 03, 2012 8:28 am

It would help to know what tires your running now and if you are using tubes or not. If you are not using tubes now you will not need to use them. Most here prefer Dyna beads because you just put them in and your tires are balanced for the life of the tire. You can of course balance them any way you want.

Jerry
jedishon
Super User
Super User

Number of posts : 4436
Registration date : 2007-12-18

Back to top Go down

Post  quadancer on Wed Oct 03, 2012 6:38 pm

not sure of the Ultra tire size, but you better hope it's bigger than the 150's, because a 175 is about all that will fit if it is, and we're kind of up a creek for those; only a few choices available, either expensive or low geared.
Did you check the database for others?
I switched from dynabeads to RideOn for life. No worry for flats and it balances even better if you have a wobbler, in my experience. I suggest you do some reading up before making any choices.
quadancer

Number of posts : 1245
Registration date : 2010-05-02

Back to top Go down

Post  poppabear on Thu Oct 04, 2012 8:52 am

Jerry,

Ok, sorry about that, I will look at my current tire sizes and get back to you here.

quadancer,

Boy, this is going to sound stupid on my part, but: What Data Base are you talking about?

Scott

poppabear

Back to top Go down

Post  quadancer on Thu Oct 04, 2012 7:46 pm

Wow, we really need to make this more obvious: I get tired of posting it! Well, brah, here she is:
http://darkside.nwff.info/
Be SURE to read the safety link.
Buzzing back thru it, I see your bike not listed but the '09 fitted a 195mm in there.
You can do this: find your closest point to the edge of your existing tire. It will probably be the fender or belt on the left side, but look everywhere.
MEASURE that distance, multiply by two, subtract 2mm from that number. That will tell you how wide you can go and from there, you find your tire.
quadancer

Back to top Go down

Post  poppabear on Fri Oct 05, 2012 7:00 am

quadancer,

Wow, we really need to make this more obvious: I get tired of posting it! Well, brah, here she is:
http://darkside.nwff.info/

Yes, for us new folks, it is a pain as well, when you come to a site that you have never been to, nor trying
to learn about a new topic you are not failure with, it is a little overwhelming.

The issue for us (or perhaps less than web-forum savy people like me) is, I don't even know, what I don't know
much less what to look for, what is is called or where to look for it.

I know it is a pain for older established forum users to restate stuff that is old news to them, but for us, may
I suggest a dedicated Forum Thread called: Tire Sizing Chart (or data base)

The issue for me is, I found out about DS from some GW ridding buddies, they said I think there is a Harley thread here.
So, I came here and went directly to the Harley thread, via Google. It took me right to the Harley thread itself (it did not
link to any general forum page.

I think most folks, use google to find this or that, it does have it's limitations. Perhaps in each "Bike Make" thread at the top,
have a sticky that says, Tire Data Chart, or Hey New-bies read this first "link to some overall educational thread for new folks".

BTW: I am not complaining, just letting you know that it is not easy being the new guy, especially when you don't fool around on the
web much, older generation I guess.

I DO very, very, much appreciate your help, and the links even if they where a pain for you to go through once again. With out you
being willing to do that, I would have never even KNOWN about a tire data chart or that site!

Thank you,

Scott

poppabear

Back to top Go down

Post  quadancer on Fri Oct 05, 2012 7:38 am

The DS isn't for everybody, or all bikes. I HIGHLY suggest you spend some time like most of us did before crossing over,
and read a lot of the threads, so you'll have a working knowledge of what to expect (mostly all good), and to find your
sweet spot pressure for your weight, your bike, your tire, and your riding style.
You COULD just stick a tire on her and go, but being prepared will save you from a possible freakout or two. It takes a
couple hundred miles to get used to it, like riding a different bike.
quadancer

Back to top Go down

Post  Doc on Fri Oct 05, 2012 12:11 pm

Welcome to the board Scott. Welcome

We were all newbies once,, and I can understand the desire to get that DS tire on ASAP.
Unfortunately Harley's of your vintage are hard to find a tire for, I believe a 175 is about all that will fit.
Quad has a lot of experience researching and searching for that size. Laughing

2012 Goldwing Candy Red
Michelin Alpin PA3 195/55/16   The Darkside... Ain't nothin' but a rubber thang...  Vader
Doc
Admin
Admin

Number of posts : 1069
Registration date : 2008-04-21

Back to top Go down

Post  rrounds on Fri Oct 05, 2012 12:17 pm

Somebody might want to fix the link in the General Motorcycle Tech Information page.
This is all I get.

Not Found

The requested URL /OEM2DS.htm was not found on this server.

Additionally, a 404 Not Found error was encountered while trying to use an ErrorDocument to handle the request.

Apache Server at darkside.nwff.info Port 80

ROD

rrounds

Number of posts : 256
Registration date : 2008-06-06

Back to top Go down

Post  Doc on Fri Oct 05, 2012 4:27 pm

rrounds wrote:Somebody might want to fix the link in the General Motorcycle Tech Information page.
This is all I get.

Not Found

The requested URL /OEM2DS.htm was not found on this server.

Additionally, a 404 Not Found error was encountered while trying to use an ErrorDocument to handle the request.

Apache Server at darkside.nwff.info Port 80

ROD

Thanks Rod, it is fixed.

2012 Goldwing Candy Red
Michelin Alpin PA3 195/55/16   The Darkside... Ain't nothin' but a rubber thang...  Vader
Doc
Admin
Admin

Number of posts : 1069
Registration date : 2008-04-21

Back to top Go down

Post  quadancer on Fri Oct 05, 2012 10:32 pm

I'm gonna try to be my usual helpitself type person.
175 is it, if there isn't more than 14mm clearance. So, ASSUMING that is the case, here are the presently available skins on
this side of the pond:
Not many seem to be running this due to price.
https://www.universaltire.com/dunlop-tires/dunlop-radial-tires/175r16-dunlop-taxi-black.html

These (including mine) have had some wobbles, many none.
https://www.universaltire.com/dunlop-tires/dunlop-radial-tires/175r16-austone-taxi-black.html

Don't know anyone running these - absurdly expensive tire.
https://www.universaltire.com/165r16-550r16-avon-turbosteel-blackwall.html

Not many running these either; expensive too. We're presently awaiting more road reports and mileages.
http://www.cokertire.com/brands/coker/550r16-coker-classic-blackwall-tire.html

There are some other choices IF you are willing to gear down slightly below the stock size (and make a great bar-hopper).
http://www.tirebuyer.com/tires/goodyear/assurance-fuel-max/p/tv135001132

It's late, but I had some on the other night that were all lower profile and cheaper to buy (low as $90) but it leaves the questions
as to engine wear and fuel consumption. Worse for me, since I'm running torque cams, and she LIKES the tall gearing of the 175/75/16! I may
put my half worn Pirelli rear back on the bike to see how or IF I can deal with the revs again, and the cams pushing that. This work, and the
door will be open for about 3 other tires out there that will work - or 2 at the 175'/65/16, giving me a 113.75 sidewall, the best I see in the
cheap seats.
Whilst I LIKE the 175/75 gearing, the wobbles are unacceptable at speed, so the best thing to run for us would be the 185/65, giving us a sidewall
of about 120.25. Again, stock tire running 150/80 is a booger at 120 mm....a bitless if you don't mind running here into the grave..
quadancer

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum