Riding on the Darkside
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Need tires .. considering going dark.

5 posters

Go down

Need tires .. considering going dark. Empty Need tires .. considering going dark.

Post  sumnguy Fri Aug 17, 2012 12:06 pm

I want to try a run flat ...

So please confirm I got it right ...

2012 Goldwing 1800 (abs if it matters ... but Im sure it doesnt). I weigh about 240 .. wive is about 160. I got a one pack she has it all in the caboose !!! Not a bad thing yeah

Michelin Primacy Alpin PA3 ZP 195/55-16 @ 30-32 psi

One thing I just noticed is .... isnt that psi load a little low. Im thinking blow outs ... often occur because of low tire pressure causing excessive heat ... any issue with that ? While Im at it .. any mechanical issues caused due to use of a Dark tire ?

Thanks for the help !!

sumnguy

Number of posts : 4
Registration date : 2012-08-17

Back to top Go down

Need tires .. considering going dark. Empty Re: Need tires .. considering going dark.

Post  sumnguy Tue Aug 21, 2012 4:19 pm

I just put a set of tires on the Wing and yep, the one in the rear is a
195/55R-16 Michelin Primacy Alpin PA3 ZP Run Flat car tire with 36 psi. Up front
a Metz 880.

I have 104.2 miles on it. Rode highway, city and country. Ive only noticed a difference in slow speed maneuvers and behaviors.
I also noticed that I have a slow speed wobble NOT a high speed wobble .. well not noticed yet. I think its because I have a new Metzeler on there.. should have stuck with the E3.

sumnguy

Number of posts : 4
Registration date : 2012-08-17

Back to top Go down

Need tires .. considering going dark. Empty Re: Need tires .. considering going dark.

Post  CutterDuck Thu Aug 23, 2012 8:13 pm

I am on my second Michelin Alpin Primacy run flat. Ran the first one at 32 psi all the time. Most of the riding was East TN back roads and mountains. Rode 2up and pulled trailer. No issues.

The new one I put on a couple months back, I am running it at 30 psi.

Good luck in your search for information.

CutterDuck
CutterDuck

Number of posts : 71
Registration date : 2011-12-11

Back to top Go down

Post  smokey2255 Fri Aug 24, 2012 2:25 am

I'm running the mich primacy also, with a bridgestone g709 up front, love this combination. Started out at, 32 played with pressures around there.+- 6, settled on 32 on the rear ..... I set the front at 46 when I mounted it and still running there.

See you out there
Smokey

smokey2255
smokey2255
Admin
Admin

Number of posts : 2451
Registration date : 2007-12-14

Back to top Go down

Post  johnnie1 Wed Aug 29, 2012 8:22 pm

sumnguy wrote:I want to try a run flat ...

2012 Goldwing 1800 (abs if it matters ... but Im sure it doesnt). I weigh about 240 .. wive is about 160. I got a one pack she has it all in the caboose !!! Not a bad thing yeah

One thing I just noticed is .... isnt that psi load a little low. Im thinking blow outs ... often occur because of low tire pressure causing excessive heat ... any issue with that ? While Im at it .. any mechanical issues caused due to use of a Dark tire ?

Thanks for the help !!
You have a 2012 you have the TPMS on the wheels and you can not run the tires below 36 to 38 or the light will come on. Mine will come on at 38 on a cool morning. They tell me there is a way to trick them into thinking you are running more air but I didn't want to get in to all that. I have a reg- General tire on my goldwing and have been very happy with it. Over 10,000 hard miles on it and it still looks good.

johnnie1
johnnie1

Number of posts : 53
Registration date : 2011-07-11

Back to top Go down

Post  vtxcandyred Wed Oct 17, 2012 7:53 pm

sumnguy wrote:I want to try a run flat ...

Thanks for the help !!

I know this is a bit old but I run forty to forty five in my Wintersport. Works fine for two years so far.
vtxcandyred
vtxcandyred

Number of posts : 38
Registration date : 2009-01-30

Back to top Go down

Need tires .. considering going dark. Empty Car Tire

Post  johnnie1 Wed Oct 17, 2012 9:32 pm

I have been running a General G-Max has 14,000 miles on it and will be replacing it soon. Very happy with the performance and handling of it, but I will be putting on a Bridgstone M/C this time because of warranty issues, and I need to take my wing in for a check-up. My wing is also a 2012 and if you want to run a run flat you are going to have to do something with the tire pressure system as the low pressure on the run flats will not work with them. I did not want to get into changing that system so I ran a regular C/T at 38 to 40 PSI. Overall I have been pleased with the tire and the wear of it seems like the center wants to wear faster than the edges, same thing happend on my sons bike when he was running one. I would say I will get a good 16,000 out of this tire where I get about 8,000 out of a bike tire at half the cost, but as I mentioned above I need to take it in for a warranty issue and they tell me the C/T will cancel your warranty on anything on the back or rear of the bike. You will get a lot of folks saying diffrent but I don't want to take a chance on a warranty problem.

Neg- of running a C/T only place I liked it less was at low speed or when you have a hump in the middle of the road tire tends to want to take you down it, also tends to want to stand up more at low speed, I never found this to be a problem just a change in your riding habits.

Pos- Tire is very quiet,, stops much better. handles great in the curves, rides better. Better miles, lower price.
johnnie1
johnnie1

Back to top Go down

Post  vtxcandyred Thu Oct 18, 2012 2:24 pm

johnnie1 wrote:I have been running a General G-Max has 14,000 miles on it and will be replacing it soon. Very happy with the performance and handling of it, but I will be putting on a Bridgstone M/C this time because of warranty issues, and I need to take my wing in for a check-up. My wing is also a 2012 and if you want to run a run flat you are going to have to do something with the tire pressure system as the low pressure on the run flats will not work with them. I did not want to get into changing that system so I ran a regular C/T at 38 to 40 PSI. Overall I have been pleased with the tire and the wear of it seems like the center wants to wear faster than the edges, same thing happend on my sons bike when he was running one. I would say I will get a good 16,000 out of this tire where I get about 8,000 out of a bike tire at half the cost, but as I mentioned above I need to take it in for a warranty issue and they tell me the C/T will cancel your warranty on anything on the back or rear of the bike. You will get a lot of folks saying diffrent but I don't want to take a chance on a warranty problem.

Neg- of running a C/T only place I liked it less was at low speed or when you have a hump in the middle of the road tire tends to want to take you down it, also tends to want to stand up more at low speed, I never found this to be a problem just a change in your riding habits.

Pos- Tire is very quiet,, stops much better. handles great in the curves, rides better. Better miles, lower price.
When I had my VTX I had to take it in for a warranty issue with the odometer/trip meter and they said the rear tire was NOT an issue. I believe someone is blowing sunshine up someones backside. I've talked to and read many posts and even had a response back from the rep who said it was NO PROBLEM!!!!!! Goos luck.
vtxcandyred
vtxcandyred

Number of posts : 38
Registration date : 2009-01-30

Back to top Go down

Need tires .. considering going dark. Empty Car Tire Warranty Issue

Post  johnnie1 Thu Oct 18, 2012 8:27 pm

Glad you had no problems with your warranty, we have one dealer around here and the service rep said honda would not warranty anything on the rear of the motorcycle with a car tire. So just saying it could be an issue for me.
johnnie1
johnnie1

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down