Riding on the Darkside
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A word fromt he Rubber Manufactures Association for Darksiders!!

+2
jedishon
CutterDuck
6 posters

Go down

A word fromt he Rubber Manufactures Association for Darksiders!!  Empty A word fromt he Rubber Manufactures Association for Darksiders!!

Post  CutterDuck Wed Aug 08, 2012 9:35 pm

Borrowed from another forum.

http://rma.org/newsroom/release.cfm?ID=321
CutterDuck
CutterDuck

Number of posts : 71
Registration date : 2011-12-11

Back to top Go down

A word fromt he Rubber Manufactures Association for Darksiders!!  Empty Re: A word fromt he Rubber Manufactures Association for Darksiders!!

Post  jedishon Thu Aug 09, 2012 7:23 am

“Not every tire is meant for any rim,” said Charles Cannon, RMA president and CEO. “Caution needs to be taken to ensure motorcycle tires are mounted on motorcycle rims only,” he continued.

Did not say anything about mounting a car tire on a motorcycle rim. We all know the dangers there, so be careful.

Jerry

jedishon
jedishon
Super User
Super User

Number of posts : 4436
Registration date : 2007-12-18

Back to top Go down

A word fromt he Rubber Manufactures Association for Darksiders!!  Empty Re: A word fromt he Rubber Manufactures Association for Darksiders!!

Post  coldweatherfreak Thu Aug 09, 2012 4:23 pm

therefore any attempt to mount a passenger car tire on a motorcycle rim may cause inflation pressure loss or the beads to break with explosive force. The result could be serious injury or death

I can think of examples of passenger car tires mounted on SUVs that have exploded (underinflated Firestones at high speeds on hot pavement on Ford Explorers) but have never heard of a single example of a passenger car tire exploding on a motorcycle
coldweatherfreak
coldweatherfreak

Number of posts : 155
Registration date : 2010-12-02

Back to top Go down

Post  quadancer Fri Aug 10, 2012 10:23 pm

/doubt you will. Our only problem seems to be getting the bead over the hump in the rim; once polished, tire heated up, and slicked, we get our "pop".
quadancer
quadancer

Number of posts : 1245
Registration date : 2010-05-02

Back to top Go down

Post  locopony Thu Aug 30, 2012 9:55 pm

I wish the nannying would just stop. I get tired or the bs. It would be great if we could just live our lives with out some know it all forcing us to take their advise.

locopony

Number of posts : 26
Registration date : 2012-04-28

Back to top Go down

Post  GEARHEADFLA Thu Sep 06, 2012 8:39 pm

I find most of the nasayers around here in Florida thats telling me that I'm going to explode and die in a fireball of epic proportions are the same ones that "because it's their choice" ride with no helmets, in shorts and flip flops. I chose to ride on a car tire with safety gear and I the dummy? I don't yell at them about their "choice" so leave me alone. cus
GEARHEADFLA
GEARHEADFLA

Number of posts : 60
Registration date : 2012-03-01

Back to top Go down

Post  locopony Fri Sep 07, 2012 4:57 am

What is the danger?
The tire is designed for heavier vehicles so the tire is not over loaded.
They are a bugger to bead up so you arent gonna push them off the bead.
More surface area contract with the road so they dont slide easily.
Imperfections in the road dont seem to affect them as much. I was on another forum where a fellow blamed a tar snake for taking him down. He was on mc tires. I cant even feel a tar snake anymore. How low can we go in a corner? I dont know where the line is yet.

locopony

Number of posts : 26
Registration date : 2012-04-28

Back to top Go down

Post  jedishon Fri Sep 07, 2012 7:13 am

One of the dangers is the amount of pressure it can take to get the bead to seat. We have seen tires explode under the pressure and fracture/break arms so be very careful.

Jerry
jedishon
jedishon
Super User
Super User

Number of posts : 4436
Registration date : 2007-12-18

Back to top Go down

Post  quadancer Fri Sep 07, 2012 9:02 am

locopony wrote:
How low can we go in a corner? I dont know where the line is yet.

If you ain't sparkin', you're just parkin'! 'onelaf'
quadancer
quadancer

Number of posts : 1245
Registration date : 2010-05-02

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum