Riding on the Darkside
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Nail in Tire

3 posters

Go down

Nail in Tire Empty Nail in Tire

Post  caltech Wed Aug 01, 2012 9:45 pm

Well it finally happen after riding the Darkside on a General Grabber I got a nail in the tire and had to have it towed. Nobody wanted to plug the tire because they claimed liabality issues.. whatever... Since I was miles and moles away from home, i went to Advance Auto bought a plug kit and did it myself. Holding good at 36 psi. My question to you guys is this safe enough to get me home 150 miles away with a luggage bag? How long will this last? Should I stay away from the Interstate. Also front tie is little worn and I am getting the wobbble when let off the handlebar to stretch fingers but I will get that when back at home.
caltech
caltech

Number of posts : 10
Registration date : 2009-01-21

Back to top Go down

Nail in Tire Empty Re: Nail in Tire

Post  quadancer Thu Aug 02, 2012 9:32 pm

Many of us run the plugs. Including running them until time to change the tire.
Dynabeads and plugs are another issue, debatable.
I've NEVER, EVER swapped out a truck tire due to plugging - I've been in construction 24 years and that would be a LOT of tires!
I've never been a slow driver either.
If you're holding air, you should be golden, but keep a constant check on it for a while to be safe - and keep in mind that after checking
the air five times or so, you've lost a pound or so - more on a bike tire.
quadancer
quadancer

Number of posts : 1245
Registration date : 2010-05-02

Back to top Go down

Post  Sameym Tue Nov 27, 2012 2:05 pm

I pluged an old Kumo tire years ago and put maybe 5,000 mi. till I put a Grabber on, now 30,000 mi. later am looking at a Hydroedge.

Sameym

Number of posts : 26
Registration date : 2008-02-01

Back to top Go down

Post  quadancer Tue Nov 27, 2012 5:40 pm

this thread reawakening reminded me that I didn't mention: probably not a good idea to keep a tire if the plug is within an inch of the sidewall, where
the tire does it's flexing. At an inch, I'd probably run it. Another thing: if you'd had Ride-On in it, you wouldn't have even lost pressure or had to plug.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=endscreen&v=2mid3XqDlyk&NR=1
quadancer
quadancer

Number of posts : 1245
Registration date : 2010-05-02

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down